Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Collector Yellow
    2002 CETA Conv Auto

Best place to download music and why.

Ok, I am an old guy, I admit it.

I still don't text and sometimes I actually wish I could throw my fk,n cell phone out the window.

Anyways, I am thiking of buying an mp3 or an i pod.

One question I have is where do you all go to download music and why do you use a particular service. I also don't want to be downloading alot of viruses etc, if thats possible.

Thanks for the help.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

For free? I find iTunes is often more expensive than buying the cd and you don't get a hard copy.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Dont get a random MP3 player, they're all garbage. Get an iPod, most functionality more accessories and last longer.

iTunes is used to upload and download music for an iPod, all instructions for doing this through iTunes are explained in its help section.

As far as downloading goes, I'd have to agree with wheelie, you can download them, but you don't get a hard copy. Show your support for the bands and purchase the CD's, load them onto your computer, and store in a safe place.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I use the free version of Limewire to download music. I have an iPod Nano, so I use iTunes as my player/library on the computer and to transfer the songs to the iPod.

Collector Yellow
    2002 CETA Conv Auto

Thanks for the info.

I don't mind paying for the music, i am just trying to find a way to carry more music around and also to be able to get just the songs i like.

CD's get ruined in my vehicle as I am on the road alot and it's hard to carry a bunch of cd's around.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

I use Sony Walkman mp3 players and have a monthly subscription to Napster To Go. I can download as much as I want to it for $15/month - no per-song fees.

Plus, the Sony players are typically rated as higher quality as far as sound goes by the reviewers.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Zune HD and Zunepass

many reasons why

the new zune has an amazing interface. You say you aren't the most tech savvy and rarely even txt with your phone. an iPod touch will go mostly unused by you. You need a device that excels at providing high quality audio and easy navigation of those songs. The Zune is AMAZING in this regard. It's quite easy to pick up and just start using. The presentation of the music is very natural and logical and allows a very high degree of freedom when browsing your collection. Also the sound quality is head and shoulders above what the iPod provides. I've never heard my mp3 collection sound more natural considering a large portion of them were converted to mp3 10 years ago using 128kbps.

The zune software is top notch. It gives countless ways of finding new artists and recommending music for you to listen to based on your listening habits and those of people whose collections look similar to your own. The design of the software is very modern fresh and simple.

The zunepass might seem like a joke but it isn't. for 15 bucks a month you have access to everything in the zune marketplace. Download 32GB worth of music and load up your player.... 15 bucks. it would take many many years... like more than 20, for the monthly charge to catch up to the music you have on the player and even better is that each month that 15 bucks comes with 10 song credits meaning you can permanently keep 10 of those songs each month. so your actual cost of "renting" your collection is 5 bucks a month making it an even better deal.

my family has had iPods since the iPod photo hit the scene. we were using iTunes even longer than that. When the original Zune came out I laughed at how ridiculous it seemed next to the iPod.... I'm not laughing anymore. Zune HD is the real deal and is in my opinion the best MP3 player on the market.

Black
    2005 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    Zune HD and Zunepass

The zunepass might seem like a joke but it isn't. for 15 bucks a month you have access to everything in the zune marketplace. Download 32GB worth of music and load up your player.... 15 bucks. it would take many many years... like more than 20, for the monthly charge to catch up to the music you have on the player and even better is that each month that 15 bucks comes with 10 song credits meaning you can permanently keep 10 of those songs each month. so your actual cost of "renting" your collection is 5 bucks a month making it an even better deal.
    Sorry not familiar with zune or zunepass but are you basically only renting the songs for a month? So if I d/l 32gb in the first day 30 days later I lose all but 10 songs? Then have to d/l everything again? Sorry I'm lost that seems dumb or maybe i'm dumb and don't really know what the deal is, could be explain how zunepass works better?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

no you don't lose the music you downloaded. if you download 32gb in the first month then you will keep them as long as you keep paying the 15 bucks a month. Should you stop paying the monthly fee then you will still not lose the files.... just the license to play them. So you will still have all the music... just won't be able to play it.

The 10 songs a month lets you keep any 10 songs that you downloaded permanently. even if you cancel your subscription after a year the 120 songs you downloaded will still be yours and you can put them anywhere you would like.

Zune Marketplace even has playlists that you can subscribe to. This will allow you to have songs refreshed periodically without you having to do anything. Example. Subscribe to the billboard top 40 list and as the most popular songs out there change your zune will download or delete songs appropriately.... unless you found a song on there you want to keep and you bought it with one of your credits or cash... of course it wouldn't delete a song you own!!!!

Zune can also perform wireless sync. So let's say you have a stereo that can both charge and play zune's. you could theoretically leave the zune in the car and sync it from your PC without taking it in.

Zune also has higher quality files than the iTunes store. iTunes uses 128kbps AAC drm "fair play" encrypted files.

zune uses WMA 2pass CBR 192kbps encrypted files OR you can download any file marked mp3 as a non encrypted 320kbps mp3

for sound quality you can't beat the zune marketplace.

The way I see it is that iTunes and iPod is for iSheep..... I should know... I was one of them...

Zune and Zunepass are for people that are all about the music and the quality of the music they are listening to. When I hear a track from the marketplace then a track from my old ripped collection.... i almost cringe at how poor it sounds compared to the marketplace. flat and dead compared to the crisp clean sound of the higher bitrate zune files.

I should also say that the zune hardware has better sound quality than the iPods. My iPod never impressed with it's output. it would often distort bass at high listening levels and had a hard time reproducing some sounds without introducing digital artifacts into the sound. I have not had any such problems with the zune. It's a known fact that the zune does have better sound hardware than ipods just google it for proof. when the zune HD came out the press went wild for how good of an MP3 player it is. Sure it can browse the web and play games.... but it's clear to anyone using it that the true focus of this device it the music first and foremost. the OLED screen is amazing it's small and light but very rugged feeling.

The only problem is lack of support. I know i'm here cheerleading for the zune but it wouldn't be fair to not point out it's downside. Most any radio you buy these days has an ipod cable as an option.... or even standard. Now try to find one for the zune..... nearly impossible. though i use an aux jack on my pioneer and it works fabulously. I think MS realized that lack of support would mean few USB connections for their players so they tuned the headphone output not to overload the aux jacks. At full volume i get 0 distortion and excellent sound quality.... once again better than the ipod cable i had used before it.

So is it really a drawback??? depends on you really. I'm quite happy with my setup as it is. Just good to know that you won't have that full range of iPod like accessories to choose from. I'd still take the zune over the iPod any day
    Last edited by LSCyaL8R; 02-22-2010 at 02:20 PM.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I'll have to agree iPhone and iPod touch are terrible music players, especially when driving

2011 Prius

I am about to order an 160 GB Ipod Classic, now that I finally have a use for one...

I'll probably use something like lime wire on a shit box.

Artic White
    1999 SS A4

I also recommend the Zune HD. I have the original 30 gig(brick) and love it. I will probably upgrade to the Zune HD soon. My mom just bought one for her bf and they said it is easier than their Ipod nano's, that they returned. My mom is not technologically inclined.

I buy my songs from the Zune marketplace and sometimes Amazon.com. If I can't find what I am looking for I might try limewire.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

How does the zune and xbox 360 go together? If I buy a zune movie on my 360 can I put it on a zune too?

Black
    2001 TransAm WS6

before you waste your money on a crappy ass ipod look at your options first and get a better player for your money.. Check this place out for an idea http://www.anythingbutipod.com

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    I'll have to agree iPhone and iPod touch are terrible music players, especially when driving
    OMG ahahahahahaa

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Don't use Limewire.

Frostwire>Limewire.

Frostwire is free and is basically the Pro version of Limewire with a different skin.

Try it, you'll like it.

Red, Pewter
    03 cobra07 street glide

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    Don't use Limewire.

Frostwire>Limewire.

Frostwire is free and is basically the Pro version of Limewire with a different skin.

Try it, you'll like it.
    i agree i like frostwire better than limewire has used both my girlfriend went form limewire to frostwire after using my frostwire

2011 Prius

I have an Alpine 9887 (I think). Can I plug the Zune HD into it?

Trans Am owner
    former

i get torrents from thepiratebay.org

then get the utorrent program and your set.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    I have an Alpine 9887 (I think). Can I plug the Zune HD into it?
    You can hook almost any MP3 player up to any "modern" aftermarket deck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information