Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

best and cheapest way to ship a car fm CA to TX??

Many of you may not know, but either at the end of the year or the very beginning of next, Im moving to Hawaii. Well since the TA is > the grand am, Im going to give the GA to my mom, but I need to ship it to her...anyone know a cheap, but good trucking company that can do it?? Its already going to cost a fortune moving to HI, the last thing I need is to pay another to move this POS!

Thanks,
    Nino

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ninobrn99
    Many of you may not know, but either at the end of the year or the very beginning of next, Im moving to Hawaii. Well since the TA is > the grand am, Im going to give the GA to my mom, but I need to ship it to her...anyone know a cheap, but good trucking company that can do it?? Its already going to cost a fortune moving to HI, the last thing I need is to pay another to move this POS!

Thanks,
    Nino
    use the machine that willie wanka made and send it over the tv...

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

ok genius, how the hell do u propose i get the car in the house??

Black
    01 Trans Am

Take a road trip in the car and fly back or take a bus, thats actually one of the cheaper ways to do it.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

as much as i would love to go back home, i have enough to pay for as is and to pay for plane tickets from tx to ca, then turn around and pay for tickets to hawaii just isnt going to be cost effective..not to mention that I will be sending the car a few days before I leave.

DisCrete

Thanks,
    Nino
    Call up this company, I used to work for them

Progressive Transportation Services Inc.

aka

PTS Logistics, they are based in chicago, IL and Miami, FL.

However, if and when you do call them... Ask for Mike Farrar. Tell Mike, a former employee who used to work for him refered you. I will pm you my name.

Phone: 630-860-5100

Tell Mike you want to transport a car from california to tx... And tell him you are wondering if "Tino" is available to do the run?

Tino is an independent OTR driver, uses a 20+ something foot truck, I know he does run hotshots from cali - chicago, and he can transport cars. He's a good guy too.

But he's contracted through PTS Logistics.

I'm not sure how much it would cost. But, if I had to transport my car across country... these would be the first people I would call. I've worked for them, and they take great care of freight shipments compared to people like DHL, or UPS.
    Last edited by DisCrete; 06-08-2006 at 09:03 AM.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

sweet! thanks, ill give them a call.

Nino

as much as i would love to go back home, i have enough to pay for as is and to pay for plane tickets from tx to ca, then turn around and pay for tickets to hawaii just isnt going to be cost effective..not to mention that I will be sending the car a few days before I leave.
    The Navy should be shelling out most of the money for your move.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

true, but i pretty much have to pay for everything up front, then Ill get reimburssed. Not the best way, but its how they do it. Im also trying to get a place before I get there so I dont have to live in a hotel for a week or two.

DisCrete
    nino,

I just got off the phone with mike.

So he has an idea of what your looking for... but if it turns out you can't work something out with them.. ask him or one of the office hawties that works there... if they can refer you to someone who might be able to do the job for you.

I'm sure they can do it.. through Tino though.

true, but i pretty much have to pay for everything up front, then Ill get reimburssed. Not the best way, but its how they do it. Im also trying to get a place before I get there so I dont have to live in a hotel for a week or two.
    Nino! Say this with me.... "Travel Advance!"

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

I know, but this is my first time moving, so its new to me as well as stressful. Too many damn things going on at once. The biggest pain right now is getting the cats ready for the move. quarantine laws suck!!

I know, but this is my first time moving, so its new to me as well as stressful. Too many damn things going on at once. The biggest pain right now is getting the cats ready for the move. quarantine laws suck!!
    I know that its stressful. All you need to do is go to the admin people in your command and request the forms for a travel advancement. They'll probably give you some where between 1/2 to 3/4 of all your expenses. The Navy should also pay for the shippment of at least one of your vechicles but I still agree that it would be more cost effective to drive it out there yourself and fly back.
    Last edited by Sassy Cassie; 06-08-2006 at 10:21 AM.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

for myself yes, but I dont think Ivy is gonna go for that one

Well... when our engine blew on the TA it cost us about $400 to have it shipped from Panama City Beach to NLP in Orlando. That's about a six hour drive all within the state of Florida and I know it gets drastically more expensive when you get into crossing state lines. There's a very good chance that you can get an airline ticket for less than $200 and bid your mom farwell before you leave. These are my comclusions for my own personal experiences. Take them for what they are worth but don't feel shy about asking if you have anymore questions about your move.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

Thanks Cass..I appreciate the help!

Mystic Teal Metallic
    1998 Z-28, 2010 SS

There are also services that will drive your car to a certain destination. Alot cheaper than shipping. My father-in-law used to drive on vacation all the time using that method. He would also get a little cash to go along with it. Return trip was another car going the other direction.

Pewter
    all bore 370 Trans Am

the main reason i dont drive the car is because I dont trust it to make the trip. Its POS. My stepdad is going to fix it cause Ive got enough going on with the TA (may need a new bottom end..ill find out friday)

SUPREME member-oderator oneBADDz's Avatar

Custom Slate Blue
    99 B4C

I used DAP (dependable auto shippers) once to get a car from new jersey to texas. 454 dollars booked in advance, but I had to cancel that and schedule another date only 2 days in advance and it was only $677 with the extra insurance. They did very well with my car, I was worried with the gfx, but they took care of me.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

I used some shit company called "Auto Transporters". They sounded great and fast, but instead my Camaro sat in snowy NJ for a month before my Dad said, "Fuck it i'll drive it to CA," lost the $200 deposit they neglected to give back and lost a transmission because of it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information