Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Beer money

This is a discussion on Beer money within the Almost Anything Goes forums, part of the Off - Topic / Discussion forums category; haha fuck it then, castrol gtx in both cars now lol all this time i been wastin money lol...

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

haha fuck it then, castrol gtx in both cars now lol all this time i been wastin money lol

Post Base Oils

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Old info. In other words we are getting into the "synthetics are slipperier" debate and that doesn't hold water anymore.
    Heat is generated by friction. Agree? Synthetics do not provide any less friction than SM rated conventionals. UOA/wear metals proove that. Now I am open but somebody show me where synthetics provide less friction. Now synthetics retain TBN longer/better add packs etc. I agree...but less friction....I havent seen anything to led me to believe that is true. It was maybe 20 years ago but not today. I think your publications are referencing the molecular structure was comparing GrpI to PAO....I challenge you to compare GRPII cracked base oils and molecular structure and show me where that advantage is today. Check out today's conventional processing of base oils and get back with me
    This topic of base oils and their performance attributes is a controversial topic indeed. Iím going to further open up conversation on this in another thread Iím working on.

Stay tunedÖ

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

We'll be here all week.

Post Re: Base Oils

Quote Originally Posted by CompSyn View Post
    This topic of base oils and their performance attributes is a controversial topic indeed. Iím going to further open up conversation on this in another thread Iím working on.

Stay tunedÖ
    Here it is. Itís kind of lengthy, but here is a discussion on Base Oils & Lubricant Performance.

CompSyn

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I've read/discussed most of what you shared and I agree with most of it....the bottom line is what Ed sez.....
    Originally Posted by Ed Kellerman (11/17/08)

If we are talking just straight base stock, with no other additives, then group IV basestocks reduce friction far greater than groups II or III. You are correct: it’s a function of even molecular structure vs. molecules of all different shapes and sizes. The base stock argument, however, is for the most part irrelevant, in that there is so much more to a finished engine oil than just the base stock. It is possible to take a lesser base stock and improve anti-frictional characteristics by using high quality additives such as viscosity index improvers, anti-wear additives, friction modifiers, etc... Conversely, you can have a super high quality group IV base stock that if formulated with inferior additives and not formulated correctly, may not offer higher performance than a properly formulated group III finished engine oil. This is what makes the basestock argument irrelevant when it comes to the performance of a finished oil. AMSOIL engine oils are made from the finest base stocks and additives and there is no way any finished group II or III engine oil could come close.

A good group IV formulation will run cooler. This is not as important, however, as the fact that a group IV are far more resistant to thermal breakdown in high heat conditions, thereby offering far superior protection compared to groups II and III.

As you can see he is saying the exact same thing I am saying. It is the add packs and not the base oils.I think a more relevant discussion pertaining to this "debate" of synthetic base stocks ( or GRPIII also) is the SM API test parameters. This will show today's oils are loaded with quality add packs just to receive the SM rating.Now I will agree GRP IV base stocks resist high temps over a prolonged period better than GRPII but we are talking extremes over 300f for a prolonged period.Personally I think Amsoil has the advantage over others based on 1) quality control (consistent) 2) Superior add packs 3) aggressive pricingGood info in your post by the way!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information