Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    2000 Camaro B4C

Angry Beating a Ticket

So today i was slammed with another speeding ticket and wow let me tell you its a pain in the ass.

ive heard a technique about beating the ticket.

what i heard was to mail in the fine, but over pay the ticket by a few dollars so if the ticket is for 150.00 mail a check for 153.00. because the check is over paid the state will have to mail me back a check for the difference. then i am not going to cash the check because the dmv cannot post the ticket on my record until the case is closed and if i never cash the check the case will not close.

anyone know if this is true....ive googled it and it seems that some people have done it but im not sure about what to do.
    2000 B4C Special Service Package Z28 - Kooks 1&7/8 Stepped 2'' - TSP Torquer V.2 - FAST 92/92 - BDR 4000 Conveter - Xtreme Trans Stage II - Full UMI Suspension - Pacesetter LT's - Comp Drag Shocks - Magnaflow - Cutout - ZO6 MAF - FTP LID - Street Tuned -

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Z28boy2000 View Post
    So today i was slammed with another speeding ticket and wow let me tell you its a pain in the ass.

ive heard a technique about beating the ticket.

what i heard was to mail in the fine, but over pay the ticket by a few dollars so if the ticket is for 150.00 mail a check for 153.00. because the check is over paid the state will have to mail me back a check for the difference. then i am not going to cash the check because the dmv cannot post the ticket on my record until the case is closed and if i never cash the check the case will not close.

anyone know if this is true....ive googled it and it seems that some people have done it but im not sure about what to do.
    I think thats just a tall tale. If anything they'll just send you back a check for the $3. I've never heard of it working.

Your best option is to go to court and fight it. Speeding tickets are nothing more than a game, a away for municipalities to make huge revenue for little work. If you put up too much of a fight using evidence, conflicts, ect, they will sometimes let you off because its not worth their time. For them its all about making money, 99% of speeding tickets have absolutely nothing to do with anyone's safety.

You can either plead not guilty if you think you can get out of it for technicalities or other evidence, or plead down the points so that its a no-point ticket and you just pay the fine. Either way you're probably better off than just paying the fine and giving them their money without a fight.

2000 Camaro B4C

well heres the thing i was doing 69 in a 40....anyone have any pointers on how to get the ticket dropped or reduced, im in upstate NY and the city is pretty strict in not reducing tickets or dropping them

Black
    1998 Camaro SS M6 #1871

It's tough to fight. Most times they take the officers word over yours. That is pretty quick in a 40 zone too, borderline wreckless in an officers eyes.

I have tried the overpaying thing, they just mailed me back my original check and told me to send a new one. They did not mail me back the difference, so it didn't work here... Goodluck with it all though.

2000 Camaro B4C

i was also thinking about pleading saying because of the difference in rim size over stock (18in from 16in) my speedo is off....taking it to be recailbrated....telling the judge that my speedo was 10-15mph off and see where that gets me

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

i was also thinking about pleading saying because of the difference in rim size over stock (18in from 16in) my speedo is off....taking it to be recailbrated....telling the judge that my speedo was 10-15mph off and see where that gets me
    Its worth a shot. Anything is. Remember, contrary to the ideals of the founding fathers, in traffic court you are guilty until proven innocent. The officer should have to prove that you were speeding, or commiting the violation, and then you should have the chance to defend yourself. Instead, its just you trying to prove your innocense against the Judge, cop, and prosecutor, who are ALL against you. Its criminal.

Bring documentation of the speed change. Lie, cheat, make things up, it really doesn't matter as long as it looks legit and gets you out of them stealing your money. Speeding violations are called highway robbery for a reason.

2000 Camaro B4C

yeah to top it off if this ticket ends up nailing me ill be looking at a suspended license which would really suck....im gunna try postponing the trial date a few times hopefully this way the trooper that snagged me wont show and the ticket will be dismissed

Red
    2001 ws6

plead it down, NY is pretty good about that so long as they get there money

black
    02 vette vert

well heres the thing i was doing 69 in a 40....anyone have any pointers on how to get the ticket dropped or reduced, im in upstate NY and the city is pretty strict in not reducing tickets or dropping them
    yeah to top it off if this ticket ends up nailing me ill be looking at a suspended license which would really suck....im gunna try postponing the trial date a few times hopefully this way the trooper that snagged me wont show and the ticket will be dismissed
    sounds like you need to change your driving habits instead of trying to figure out how to get out of tickets or your next one may be for driving under a suspended license.

Onyx Black
    2002 Camaro SS

or get yourself a valentine one. i love mine!!!

Black
    F250

Most likely they will tell you to fix it, and its your fault its off and should have been fixed earlier.

red
    2000 Camaro SS

It all depends on what you said to the officer. I am going for Criminal Justice now, and if you admitted to speeding your basically screwed. Even if he asked "Do you know why I pulled you over?.. and your response was "I dont know speeding?" Thats self incrimination right there.

Either way I would show up to court, plead not guilty and make them prove it. Ask questions like "when was the last time the radar detector was calibrated". I wouldnt even say anything about your speedo being off because right there you really dont know how fast you were going.

It really depends on the situation, did the cop get your by radar? was it a estimate? was he moving? theres alot of things you can argue.

Bottom line if you were obviously speeding and they can prove it..they might even drop the fine a little or something. Just present yourself good in church (shirt and tie and clean cut). Good Luck!

well heres the thing i was doing 69 in a 40....
    I'd say slow it down a bit and quit speeding so much

Then consider yourself lucky. Out here if you are caught going 25 over or more,,,they just slap the cuffs on you.

White over Red
    1991 Suburban

In SD paying by mail is an admission of guilt. It says it on the ticket portion you mail in. Also if you over pay by less than $10 the fine is amended to what you paid. If greater than $10 they mail you a check in 6 to 8 weeks for the difference.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The overpaying doesn't work. The only thing you can try and do is plead not guilty and hope the cop doesn't show. With a speed that high over he will probably be there. I think in Ny you can make one or two postponments.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Flame me

Don't speed if you don't want a ticket.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Flame me

Don't speed if you don't want a ticket.
    This.

The government doesn't issue speeding tickets just to show up on Fmylife.com all the time. They do it to teach a lesson. Pay your fine, ask to get a point reduction through a DD course, and learn the lesson of this so you don't kill yourself.

Also, 69 in a 40 isn't "Oh I'm late for work", it's fucking stupid. You're the reason people my age get a bad rap. Grow up already.

black
    02 vette vert

a lot of places will reduce the speed they are busting you for to save points, save a little money etc. but the whole idea is to teach a driver a lesson, or have it serve as a warning to you. lower speed limits are there for a reason, congestion, a lot of driveways for people to enter the roadway, poor sight distances, etc. theres a time and place to open it up for the performance high,and a 40mph road at 69 isnt usually one of them.

black
    02 vette vert

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    This.

The government doesn't issue speeding tickets just to show up on Fmylife.com all the time. They do it to teach a lesson. Pay your fine, ask to get a point reduction through a DD course, and learn the lesson of this so you don't kill yourself.

Also, 69 in a 40 isn't "Oh I'm late for work", it's fucking stupid. You're the reason people my age get a bad rap. Grow up already.
    you were posting while i was typing.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wont work! By explaining what caused the speedo to be off, you're just letting them know you're aware of the difference. This proves you knew you were speeding. Or at least aware you may be. I'd just pay it and move on...Good luck!
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information