Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Bad week thus far

It's fucking midterms and my car craps out on me. Can't get to college. Fucking thing misfired like crazy, would barley do 35mph in 5th gear. Started it up today though, no code, nothing. Ran it to 100mph, dogged it in sixth. Perfect. I fucking hate hate hate intermittent electrical shit.

Replacing coil packs today, if that fails, injectors tommorrow. Never had an issue with misfire ever, then BAM.

I get to make all fucking mid terms up in the stupid testing center later without the benefit of pre-class reviews. GREAT

It sucks ass when you get the lemon ws6.

Issues thus far I have fixed:
    Turn Signal
    Passenger window motor
    driver window motor
    door panel crack
    glove box latch <---junk yard charged out the ass for it to
    headlight motor
    vacuum line disconnected
    had to take it to a dealer to fix t-top leaking problem

Seriously...these cars have KNOWN problems, but to get every last fucking one of them. I wish it would blow up already so I could warrant getting the vette.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    It's fucking midterms and my car craps out on me. Can't get to college. Fucking thing misfired like crazy, would barley do 35mph in 5th gear. Started it up today though, no code, nothing. Ran it to 100mph, dogged it in sixth. Perfect. I fucking hate hate hate intermittent electrical shit.

Replacing coil packs today, if that fails, injectors tommorrow. Never had an issue with misfire ever, then BAM.

I get to make all fucking mid terms up in the stupid testing center later without the benefit of pre-class reviews. GREAT

It sucks ass when you get the lemon ws6.

Issues thus far I have fixed:
    Turn Signal

Passenger window motor
    driver window motor
    door panel crack
    glove box latch <---junk yard charged out the ass for it to
    headlight motor
    vacuum line disconnected
    had to take it to a dealer to fix t-top leaking problem

Seriously...these cars have KNOWN problems, but to get every last fucking one of them. I wish it would blow up already so I could warrant getting the vette.
    wow, that sucks dude. bite the bullet and get the vette! you'll be glad you did.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like you're going throw parts at it....could get expensive. I'd check fuel pressure when it's acting up first and see where it's at. Could just be a fuel filter or something like that. I'd rule out the fuel side before moving to the ignition side. Times like this is when having a scanner comes in handy so you can watch it and see what's going on with it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Condolences. I agree with Orion -- don't throw parts at it. When your schedule calms down, take some time and perform a little diagnostic work.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

100% agree with Orion. I learned the hard way throwing parts at a problem. turned out to be the fuel pump on my Mark VIII. check the pressure first then move on down the line. If the pressure is good then maybe the O2's are the culprit, though they would be far more likely to throw a code. If you know a shop that has good scanning equipment ask them to hook you up and help diagnose. Mine did and actually didn't charge me for the help, your results may vary.

Always be methodical, never throw parts at a problem.... Unless they are parts you planned on changing and were just looking for a good excuse

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

I would also take it to someone who can scan/diagnose it before throwing parts at it. There are several shops in my area that I can get free scans at. Call around and see if any near you will.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

Let's take the time here to differentiate between an OBD-II scanner and real time engine diagnostics. A "good" scanner will do a lot more than give you any trouble codes and their meanings. It will show you the output of all the sensors being monitored by the OBD system and show you how the engine is managing that data. A skilled operator can use that information to determine what can be wrong with your car. There is a LOT of data to digest when using this equipment so a mechanic that knows what he is doing is a MUST! If you need to pay a small fee for the info learned in one of these tests it will likely be worth it. Though I can't see spending more than 30 dollars on an in depth computer scan.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Coil packs weren't the culprit =( If it works again tommorrow I'll drive it to the mechanics for a scan. I just know it is either P0300 or P0200

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

35MPH in 5th?
    I don't even do that with 4.11's.

Still, go with 0rion's advice. He has had all the issues with his already.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    35MPH in 5th?
    As long as it stays above idle rpm it's all good. 30mph in fifth gear all the time.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Luos View Post
    35MPH in 5th?

Still, go with 0rion's advice. He has had all the issues with his already.
    seems to me I've seen pictures of your car torn apart too.

Smkn TA...start cheap and easy and start with things that rule out certain areas. Like I say...fuel pressure while the car is acting up will tell you a ton. It'll either point to or remove most of the fuel system from the equation. I would probably clean the MAF if you haven't just because that's a maintenance item and should be done anyhow. If fuel pressure is good and MAF is clean I would take a screwdriver and make a poor man's stethoscope and listen to each injector fire. That should rule out your entire fuel system for the most part if all that checks out.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Every other week....

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Smkn TA...start cheap and easy and start with things that rule out certain areas. Like I say...fuel pressure while the car is acting up will tell you a ton. It'll either point to or remove most of the fuel system from the equation. I would probably clean the MAF if you haven't just because that's a maintenance item and should be done anyhow. If fuel pressure is good and MAF is clean I would take a screwdriver and make a poor man's stethoscope and listen to each injector fire. That should rule out your entire fuel system for the most part if all that checks out.
    how do you check fuel pressure?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Was it bogging too? When I got my rebult carb back it did the same shit for a couple miles after driving for a while, then cleared up. Soemthing caught in a jet or something I guess. Will do the same with fuel filters. I know it's a completely different system, but don't go straight to blaming spark.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I would take a screwdriver and make a poor man's stethoscope and listen to each injector fire. That should rule out your entire fuel system for the most part if all that checks out.
    I have a mechanics probe stethoscope...the fact it worked today, and yet undrivable the other day leads me to believe one of the injectors isn't actuating all the time. After mechanics I will check for shorts etc...maybe a wire has worn through the insulation.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Great news!

Got the car fixed today!!

2,4,6 were misfiring.

New o2 sensor for that bank, and new maf sensor.

It is faster now than it has EVER been in the entire time I have owned it. I pulled out from the mechanics and got it sideways accidentally. Fucking great day!!!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Great news!

Got the car fixed today!!

2,4,6 were misfiring.

New o2 sensor for that bank, and new maf sensor.

It is faster now than it has EVER been in the entire time I have owned it. I pulled out from the mechanics and got it sideways accidentally. Fucking great day!!!

'06 Z06 & '05 Ram SRT-10

dam dude, good luck with all that .... hopefully it will all turn around just fine

Thread Information