View Poll Results: What is your transmission?

Voters
97. You may not vote on this poll
  • Auto

41 42.27%
  • Manual

56 57.73%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Automatic or Manual

What is your car?

If automatic, what do you like about it? What do you dislike?

If manual, what do you like about it? What do you dislike?

I've only owned one 5spd manual vehicle in my life and I ended up wrecking it (albeit I was a young driver and inexperienced). I've really wanted a T/A for some time now and have debated on which style transmission I should get. It's been a while since I've driven a manual transmission, but I'm sure I'll be able to get the hang of it once I get back into things. I just wanted to get a feel of what you guys, and gals, thought of the two.

Thanks
    Corey L.
    Lexington, NC

Play 4x4 Country

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    Lead, follow or get the hell out of the way!

black
    98 WS6

I had 98Z in auto and after few months I couldn't take it anymore, had to get a car with manual tranny. Get what you really want or you'll be wishing to get rid of your car.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I drive a mustang but its a similar type of car obviously and its a stick. my jeep is a stick as well. I think that unless you are someone that really cares about drag racing and track times, a stick is the way to go. Theres nothing like banging gears and hitting that perfect shift, chirping tires, downshifting and whipping the tail out around turns. You are actually driving the car.

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Auto here. What I like is installing a converter and beating all the M6's at the track.
    Black 1999 Blown Convertible A4
    Forged 383 | ATI D-1SC
    NX MAF Kit | 222/226 .585 115
    AS Stage II 6.0L FI Heads
    Moser 9" | 3.70 | Wavetrac | 35 Spline | Vigilante 3600
    548.0 RWHP - 563.8 RWTQ - 10# - D1

666.0 RWHP - 734.2 RWTQ - 125 Shot - P1

Black 2009 Escalade Hybrid 4WD

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

M6. love the gas milage. love holding out gears too. Just generally a fun experience....until i hit traffic jams Major upside to the A4 is no clutch replacement every 20kmiles.

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

I started off driving an automatic (1996 Suburban), then I bought a 1985 El Camino (automatic), then I bought a 1990 Beretta (5-Speed) to DD while I did a LS1 swap in the El Camino. Almost immediately after I finished the swap, I sold it to a friend. After two years of the Beretta, I rolled it and was forced to find a new DD. In the mean time, I drove the Suburban. I spent about 6 months looking for a Black 6-Speed WS6. In the meantime, I bought a 2004 Mazda3 and put an engine/trans/computer from a 2007 MazdaSpeed3 in it. This turned it from a 5-Speed to a 6-Speed. Almost immediately after this (4 months), I bought Nymphadora (6-Speed). I drove both of those over the next year and a half, depending on the weather. About 2.5 months ago, my brother started driving and wanted a car. I sold him the Mazda and I turned around and bought a 2000 Grand Prix GTP (Automatic).

In short, I've had a lo of variety, and at various points, even one of each at the same time. I prefer manuals, because it just makes driving more fun, even in a wussy car (my 2.2L Beretta). I wish my GTP was a manual, mostly because I feel that I'm loosing some of my shifting skill while I'm DDing an automatic

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I have an M6 and wouldn't have it any other way. even sitting still with the car idling the M6 is just better. All you need to do is look at the shifter and watch it gently rock in rhythm with the engine. Lightly place your hand on the shifter and feel the connection you make with the driveline of the car as it pulses beneath your palm. Run through the rev range and feel it tug against your grip as the raging sound and fury of the LS1 tries to pry that shifter from your hand. All this and we haven't even started moving yet

The satisfaction of a perfect heel-toe downshift as you go into a turn. The ability to hold any gear as long as you want. The feeling of becoming one with the machine. The accomplishment of getting to know the sound of your engine so well you no longer even need to look at the tach to know when to shift up or down or even which gear to select. The adrenaline induced rush when you pull off a 2-3 powershift and realize indeed you did leave rubber behind you while doing north of 70mph.

You want to DRIVE your car and enjoy the sacred bonds between man and machine that only direct manual interface can provide? Then look no further than a T56 equipped LS1 powered blast of testosterone.

Blue
    09 Nissan Altima

Well here's my story:

I started driving a 99 Mazda 626 (auto, 4cyl) when I was 16. At that point, I didn't care what I drove as long as it had a CD player. Started hanging out with some car guys and modded the 626 (ghey, I know). Anyway, I sold the Mazda and bought a (very modded) 95 Cobra. A couple of problems that I've come to realize are:

1. Going from a FWD 4cyl Auto to a RWD 8cyl 5spd is trickier that I thought.
    2. Brick buildings come out of nowhere.

After getting the insurance money for the cobra, I bought a 98 Dakota R/T (auto). I got used to slinging the truck around and RWD with a V8, even though it was an auto. I had it for about 4 years. Sold it and bought a 95 Jeep Wrangler (auto) which I sold last February. I have been driving my wife's 05 Mazda 3 ever since (we bought an 09 Altima for her car). I reeeally have the need for another v8. I miss the power, I miss the torque, I miss the sound.

The mazda3 that I'm currently driving has the sport-shift auto, and it's great when I'm driving in traffic and need to get around someone. I do alot of driving in a week (approx. 600 miles) and it's all highway for the most part.

I don't mind driving an automatic, and for the most part prefer it. It's just easier and like someone mentioned before, I don't have to worry about replacing clutches or anything like that.
    I really want to get a G8 GT but I can't afford one and since Pontiac is going out of business, I have a feeling replacement parts will be few and far between and insurance rates will be sky high.
    Last edited by chiller2484; 08-25-2009 at 07:16 AM. Reason: added stuff

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

M6 here. Its alot, alot of fun on the street. I cant stand it at the track. Makes me wish I had a stalled auto completely. Track is getting more and more important to me, and having a big stalled auto would really help. I like them both.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

700R4 with manual valve body.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    I have an M6 and wouldn't have it any other way. even sitting still with the car idling the M6 is just better. All you need to do is look at the shifter and watch it gently rock in rhythm with the engine. Lightly place your hand on the shifter and feel the connection you make with the driveline of the car as it pulses beneath your palm. Run through the rev range and feel it tug against your grip as the raging sound and fury of the LS1 tries to pry that shifter from your hand. All this and we haven't even started moving yet

The satisfaction of a perfect heel-toe downshift as you go into a turn. The ability to hold any gear as long as you want. The feeling of becoming one with the machine. The accomplishment of getting to know the sound of your engine so well you no longer even need to look at the tach to know when to shift up or down or even which gear to select. The adrenaline induced rush when you pull off a 2-3 powershift and realize indeed you did leave rubber behind you while doing north of 70mph.

You want to DRIVE your car and enjoy the sacred bonds between man and machine that only direct manual interface can provide? Then look no further than a T56 equipped LS1 powered blast of testosterone.
    Ever thought about writing ads for a living. I was ready to go out and buy a M6, and I already have one.

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

manual only... I like to drive my car, not my car drive me.....

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

I actually have a degree in business marketing. Common misconception that Mareting = Advertising though. I only have one semester of advertising. I have lots of Math, Science, Accounting, Statistics, Research and decision making though! When I took all my diversity classes I had a lot of English, Cinema, Art, History and other nonsense. I would probably do well in advertising.

I completed my term project in advertising in about 4-6 hours the night before it was due. It involved writing and recording a 60 second radio ad. Storyboarding and recording a 30 second TV spot and putting together a print advertisement. I also needed to write a paper that detailed several aspects about the demographic of the target audience, who the target was as well as several details about the product itself and it's media placement. It really was too much work for the time I completed it in but you can't argue with my product selection....

Male Pride testicle prosthetics for neutered dogs.

.................................................. ...almost
    That's Male Pride! For the dog that has^everything!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

The fact that our T/A came equipped with an auto was almost a deal breaker -- until I drove it. I was raised on manual transmission cars and trucks and this was actually only the second automatic (excluding the wife's DD's) that I had ever purchased.

After a full year of ownership, I have no regrets about our car being equipped with an auto. It also helps that I have a programmer and can play with both shift points and firmness.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

my car actually came equipped with a programmer for shift points and firmness. It's a really good one too. It can adjust them in real time on the fly. It also stores an essentially unlimited number of profiles as well!

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    M6. love the gas milage. love holding out gears too. Just generally a fun experience....until i hit traffic jams Major upside to the A4 is no clutch replacement every 20kmiles.
    Have M6 with 64,5?? miles. Stock clutch. Did have to replace the master cyl. at 5?,??? But I didn't keep the fluid clean like I do now.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Where is the "both" option?

<----- I have one of each.... The A4 has a 3400 stall converter with a reworked tranny.

I just noticed you have me as a quote in your sig. Just wanted to say Thanx!
    Last edited by 67CamaroRSSS; 08-25-2009 at 08:46 AM. Reason: sig quote comment....

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    Have M6 with 64,5?? miles. Stock clutch. Did have to replace the master cyl. at 5?,??? But I didn't keep the fluid clean like I do now.
    39K miles on mine.
    About to install the 4th clutch....hopefully this coming weekend.

LPM
    2000 Camaro SS

Talking

Automatics rule at the drag strip, but I drive on the street.

There's nothing like letting out the clutch from a stop with a torquey engine.

Well, maybe hitting second after winding out out to the red line in first!

Manuals are way more fun to drive and getting nearly 30 MPG on road trips is a plus.

The biggest complaint I have about my 2004 truck is the lack of a manual tranny. I once owned a '96 K1500 SWB Z71 with 350 and 5-speed, a sweet machine.
    Cheers,
    Steve SSOA F00-1363 CCSD #204
    2000 Camaro SS Lt. Pewter, neutral leather, M6, Hurst, PEG2, ASR, defogger
    SLP Chrome ZR1's, D-D exhaust, Bilstein, Castrol, cover, mats, fobs

http://camaroclubofsandiego.org

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcar View Post
    i don't behave with mine.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information