Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NBM
    1998 Z-28

ASE guys in here

I'm going to take 3 ASE tests today (Engine Repair, Engine Performance, and Brakes) and I read all the study guides and everything. Do you guys have any suggestions or tips for the tests. I'm a little nervous, it's like SAT's all over again...except for my job. Any input would be appreciated.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

cheat sheets ,LOL

NBM
    1998 Z-28

where do you find those?

White and Orange
    1997 Z/28

im an ICAR certified welder?

Miss Pennsylvania ls1blackbeauty98's Avatar

'98 Black Gone :(
    01 WS6 Midnight Blue

ASE brakes- EASY AS SHIT test, u should be able to pass that with NO PROBLEM if u read the book/study guide, ive seen guys who are complete morons be ASE certified in brakes (seriously, they'd be on a brake job, and i would have went out myself in heels and had it done faster..)

Engine Repair- i think u should do ok on this one as well, again as long as u read the book. i really dont think i had any guys that had a big problem with this test either...

Engine Performance- if you're into cars, u should be fine. period. if u just decided yesterday that u wanted to work on motors... u might struggle.

ASEs are really simple, easy...basic knowledge tests. u honestly should be fine in any area that u read the book for, do u have the really good study guide that gives a practice test at the end? (sorry i cant remember the name of the company that provides the book..)

good luck! (its not the master tech test so breathe!)

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    ASE brakes- EASY AS SHIT test, u should be able to pass that with NO PROBLEM if u read the book/study guide, ive seen guys who are complete morons be ASE certified in brakes (seriously, they'd be on a brake job, and i would have went out myself in heels and had it done faster..)

Engine Repair- i think u should do ok on this one as well, again as long as u read the book. i really dont think i had any guys that had a big problem with this test either...

Engine Performance- if you're into cars, u should be fine. period. if u just decided yesterday that u wanted to work on motors... u might struggle.

ASEs are really simple, easy...basic knowledge tests. u honestly should be fine in any area that u read the book for, do u have the really good study guide that gives a practice test at the end? (sorry i cant remember the name of the company that provides the book..)

good luck! (its not the master tech test so breathe!)
    how many have you taken? i agree with a lot of what you said, BUT technician a and b questions can REALLY fuck people up. The test taker can have the right answer and there could be 2 right answers, and they get the question wrong.

Being into cars is not gonna have someone pass engine performance. Brakes is definitely the easiest. engine repair is probably not too bad. But i disagree on the engine performance comment.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

i absolutely hate the damn tech a or b bullshit!!

o yeah, good luck

NBM
    1998 Z-28

Thanks guys, I'll see how hard they are in a couple of hours

White
    1998 Camaro

I hate taking the ASE tests. When I originally took A1-A8 I took 4 per night for 2 nights. Now when I recert I take all 8 in one night. I passed the L1 test after happy hour a few years ago as well. All I can say is you first instinct on a question is usually correct.

Black
    99SS

I'm actually in D.C. right now at the ASE L1 workshop. Most of the study guides don't follow the same ASE standards. Treat Tech A/B questions like two true false questions. They are two independent statements. The never build off of each other or contradict each other. Some people have negative feelings about ASE but if you knew what it takes to develop a test question/exam you would have a whole new level of appreciation for the test. It is the best pen and paper non-specific(to manufacturer) exam.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger View Post
    how many have you taken? i agree with a lot of what you said, BUT technician a and b questions can REALLY fuck people up.
    I hate those 2 ass fucks......

White and Orange
    1997 Z/28

just be careful with those tech a tech b questions. like said earlier they can both be the right answer.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by Nitro_Junkie97 View Post
    just be careful with those tech a tech b questions. like said earlier they can both be the right answer.
    Or wrong...

01 WS6 Midnight Blue

how many have you taken? i agree with a lot of what you said, BUT technician a and b questions can REALLY fuck people up. The test taker can have the right answer and there could be 2 right answers, and they get the question wrong.

Being into cars is not gonna have someone pass engine performance. Brakes is definitely the easiest. engine repair is probably not too bad. But i disagree on the engine performance comment.
    ive taken one it was the service consultant ASE, im sure i could take others and be fine, like BRAKES. and i have been with guys for years that have been complaining, bullshiting about ASE tests, if u know ur shit... and u managed to somewhat pay ALITTLE attention in highschool (for test taking skills) an ASE shouldnt be THAT difficult.

in my opinion, if ure going into a dealership ASEs mean shit anyway, its their manufactor training that ure gonna want. ei....Toyota, BMW.... ASEs will help u get to the shop, their training will help u make the money.

ps- im into cars, and i think i could pass engine performance. overconfidence or im just that smart? who knows

Black
    99SS

Manufacturers do care about ASE tests. In the workshop today there are factory reps from Honda, Mazda, Chrysler, Toyota. Techs from Chevrolet and Infiniti. So some factories are involved. Some of the techs in my shop say they could read a book and pass the test....then why don't they do that?
    The certs mean nothing in some shops but as the industry is changing some dealers/shops look for ASE's. If someone went and got a voluntary certification it shows how serious they are about their career. Look at the $ the guys in your shop make. Over a $1ook for a good driveability tech is not unheard of.

01 WS6 Midnight Blue

Quote Originally Posted by NJ 666 View Post
    Manufacturers do care about ASE tests. In the workshop today there are factory reps from Honda, Mazda, Chrysler, Toyota. Techs from Chevrolet and Infiniti. So some factories are involved. Some of the techs in my shop say they could read a book and pass the test....then why don't they do that?
    The certs mean nothing in some shops but as the industry is changing some dealers/shops look for ASE's. If someone went and got a voluntary certification it shows how serious they are about their career. Look at the $ the guys in your shop make. Over a $1ook for a good driveability tech is not unheard of.
    Ive worked for 3 different dealers, in each they were more interested in educating a tech on their vehicle, when we cared about ASEs it was only for our used car guys, that have to know everything else. but who knows

Black
    99SS

True, it's more important to some dealers. I think in VA if you are ASE Master with L1 it is worth 32 credits towards an A.S. in automotive technology in some schools. One reason to get certified. I think they are fairly easy but I still believe in them. I wish you could see the process to develop just one question. The questions are developed by people who work in the industry, like me. Then everyone on the commitee has to agree on one correct answer. The questions are "tested" in live exams to see how they perform. If the ? is too easy or too difficult it is shelved to be reviewed at a later date. The amount of data collected on each ? is staggering. Just my rant. At least with ASE we have a voice in the industry.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

To me, the only incentive to get ASE's are to get a better rate at your job. Ie leverage to shove up your employers ass. The employers sometimes want at least one guy with ase's so they can be a certified emissions repair facility. You need this in new jersey

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by ls1blackbeauty98 View Post
    ive taken one it was the service consultant ASE, im sure i could take others and be fine, like BRAKES. and i have been with guys for years that have been complaining, bullshiting about ASE tests, if u know ur shit... and u managed to somewhat pay ALITTLE attention in highschool (for test taking skills) an ASE shouldnt be THAT difficult.

in my opinion, if ure going into a dealership ASEs mean shit anyway, its their manufactor training that ure gonna want. ei....Toyota, BMW.... ASEs will help u get to the shop, their training will help u make the money.

ps- im into cars, and i think i could pass engine performance. overconfidence or im just that smart? who knows
    so you understand open loop, closed loop, fuel trims, vacuum leaks, and how all sensors work? I'm not criticizing you, because thats some of the trickiest parts of auto service and exactly why the diagnostic techs at a dealer get paid well.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

so you understand open loop, closed loop, fuel trims, vacuum leaks, and how all sensors work? I'm not criticizing you, because thats some of the trickiest parts of auto service and exactly why the diagnostic techs at a dealer get paid well.
    Thats almost the exact "quick" list that came to my mind also. Only mine had short term- long term fuel trims I was just lazy and didnt wanna type. There is a good deal of info needed other than reading a book. Good luck anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information