Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

98 Formula
    06 duramax

anyone know electrical cords?

I need to buy 75' of 10/3 to make an extension cord for the camper. What I don't know is what jacket to look for. I want something that's elastic so I can roll it up easier. I don't want something romex stiff in other words. I found 75' of 10/3 on ebay and it has an SJT jacket which is PVC according to this site. Cable/Cord Jacket Types Reference Chart

There's also an SJE which has an elastomer jacket. Not sure how easy the SJT jacket would be to coil up when I store it or if I have to look for the SJE jacket? Indoor/outdoor doesn't matter because it will only be used 10-12 days a year so it's not like it's going to be outside the whole time.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Why not just get a 100' heavy construction cord?

I have 25-50, and 100 footers I use for the motor home.

I run my A/C, microwave, water pump, and just about anything else without even a second thought.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Why not just get a 100' heavy construction cord?

I have 25-50, and 100 footers I use for the motor home.

I run my A/C, microwave, water pump, and just about anything else without even a second thought.
    Now I'm not talking about a small guage utillity cord, I mean a heavy run powertools and big compressor type equiptment cord.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

basically that's what I'm doing but it's cheaper to buy from ebay and put my own ends on it. Example....I can get 75' of 10 gauge for $89 shipped. A 50' premade (plugs on it) section of 10 gauge is $100 in the stores here. Buying by the foot here it's $1.72 per which is $129 for 75'. Just cheaper to make my own. I have a 75' run of 14 gauge but if I run the water heater on electric and the a/c at the same time that bitch gets hot I want to step up to 10 gauge and just be done with it. I could probably use 12 gauge and be fine but I only want to do this once.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Harbor freight around you?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

about an hour away....they carry that stuff? I'll look on their site...didn't even think about them. Guess I wasn't aware China made electrical cords.

Gray/ White

Got a 100 footer for about 40 bucks iirc. Think the heavy duty ones were 75ish

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I'd go with the 10 guage myself. Your good for 30amps that way.

Depot used to sell 10-3 by the foot, we used it for hooking up backup generators, but I don't remember how much it was. Check your local electrical suppliers as well.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I stopped in at lowes......$1.72 a foot for 10 gauge which is what I want. That deal on ebay seems like a pretty decent deal. I'm just curious about that jacket. I'm going to stop by some places here and find wire with that same jacket and see how stiff it is. I also have some 8/4 in the shed that I use to run my big gen here at the house. I'm going to look at it tomorrow and see what jacket it has.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    basically that's what I'm doing but it's cheaper to buy from ebay and put my own ends on it. Example....I can get 75' of 10 gauge for $89 shipped. A 50' premade (plugs on it) section of 10 gauge is $100 in the stores here. Buying by the foot here it's $1.72 per which is $129 for 75'. Just cheaper to make my own. I have a 75' run of 14 gauge but if I run the water heater on electric and the a/c at the same time that bitch gets hot I want to step up to 10 gauge and just be done with it. I could probably use 12 gauge and be fine but I only want to do this once.
    That's what I'm running.. I think I've got a heavier one but it's 100' and gets in the way if you forget it's there and miss stepping over it.

Which is great when carrying a tray of burgers to the pit or fire wood and don't see quick enough..

White
    2008 Hummer H3

My other thought is stay away from breaking down and buying romex..

Sure we've both prolly seen folks using it for their stuff and it will work,

but,, it's solid core copper, and really only ment to be flexed durring install and then left alone.

Over time it could possibly break up inside then well... POW!!

Braided core is used in power cords for just that reason, and is much safer and workable.

Just tossing that out there incase someone else is thinking of using romex on their setup..
    Last edited by Smittro; 06-19-2012 at 01:17 AM.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

10-3 in the cold weather, if that's when you'll be using it, will be stiff with a PVC jacket. The PVC will last longer, but will work like an air hose. The stuff we used by the foot for back up genies was a rubber jacket, but that would get used even less than than what your planning on, but it was flexible during the winter. I've never heard of the elastomer jacket, as most of our standard cords were subject to harsh abuse and we ripped almost any jacket (aside from the custom length back up generators cords).

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Anyone else thought at first, this thread was for a vacuum besides me?

White
    2008 Hummer H3

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by KMdef9 View Post
    10-3 in the cold weather, if that's when you'll be using it, will be stiff with a PVC jacket. The PVC will last longer, but will work like an air hose. The stuff we used by the foot for back up genies was a rubber jacket, but that would get used even less than than what your planning on, but it was flexible during the winter. I've never heard of the elastomer jacket, as most of our standard cords were subject to harsh abuse and we ripped almost any jacket (aside from the custom length back up generators cords).
    it will only be used in the summer. Where I park at on my friends camp I'm 90 or so feet away from the power source. My camper has a 25' cord so I need more to get to the outlet. We put 30 amp breakers for the camper outlets last year. I ran the 14 gauge stuff memorial weekend and with my a/c, fridge, and water heater in electric mode it was heating that cable up. I can run the water heater on gas which is probably what I'll do anyhow but a 10 gauge should handle 30 amps so that's more of a just in case. With just the a/c, tv, lights etc etc running I can run off of a 20 amp receptacle pretty easy. It's when I fire the microwave up while the a/c is running that I trip a 20 amp.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    I do need a cheap vacuum cleaner for the camper so you're not completely off base there. I'm thinking dirt devil.

Gray/ White

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Whatelse would the topic be ultimately about with 0rion?

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Whatelse would the topic be ultimately about with 0rion?
    He does dabble in dish soap and laundry cleaners every once in a while...

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    it will only be used in the summer. Where I park at on my friends camp I'm 90 or so feet away from the power source. My camper has a 25' cord so I need more to get to the outlet. We put 30 amp breakers for the camper outlets last year. I ran the 14 gauge stuff memorial weekend and with my a/c, fridge, and water heater in electric mode it was heating that cable up. I can run the water heater on gas which is probably what I'll do anyhow but a 10 gauge should handle 30 amps so that's more of a just in case. With just the a/c, tv, lights etc etc running I can run off of a 20 amp receptacle pretty easy. It's when I fire the microwave up while the a/c is running that I trip a 20 amp.

- - - Updated - - -

I do need a cheap vacuum cleaner for the camper so you're not completely off base there. I'm thinking dirt devil.
    I bought a sweet vacuum on amazon. Dirt devil of course. Seems to work well Amazon.com: Dirt Devil Breeze Bagless Upright Vacuum, M088160RED: Home & Kitchen

How hot does the cord get?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

when I had the a/c, fridge, and water heater all running on that 14 gauge cord it got hot as hell by the plug.....you couldn't hold it kinda hot. I switched everything to gas except the a/c which won't run on gas and it cooled down. Just drawing a lot of amps on too small of a cord.

Navy Blue Metallic

You don't mess around when you get a camper!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information