Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    S.W.A.P.

Milano Red
    '96 Civic CX '98 Civic LX

Anyone know anything about Chevrolet Astro vans?

I am looking at a 1992 Chevrolet Astro van, it has 168,XXX miles on the V6 and transmission. My big questions are the following. What type of gas mileage do they get? How reliable are they? How well can they tow? How reliable are they for towing? And is that too high of mileage to look into for a daily driver and tow vehicle? The weight of the car and trailer will definetly be sub 3,000 pounds, I just don't want to get rid of my 1998 Honda Civic LX sedan, which is an incredible daily, for something to tow and end up having it break. Thanks guys.
    Rob McManus

Roma Red 1996 Honda Civic CX hatchback
    ~400fwhp untuned

Cyclone Blue Metallic 1998 Honda Civic LX sedan

EX: GB '93 Civic EX, SRP '00 Impreza RS, MR '95 Civic CX, BPM '98 Trans Am, PB '02 Focus ZTS

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ATCharming's Avatar

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

how much are you buying it for? we used to have 2 different astro vans. i hated them at the time cuz i felt really gay being in them, but we traded the older one in for a newish blue one that was like an extended version and now that i think about it, i miss it like crazy. comfortable as hell i can tell you that.

idk about towing, but gas mileage id imagine not that great. in the teens... im pretty sure we towed some small things with it. the v6 should suffice, and the rwd should help a little too, or is it AWD?

as far as reliability, i dont remember cuz iwas young, but i know we had a shit load of miles on one and nothing was wrong with it at all, but who knows what this one's like

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by compuvision02 View Post
    I am looking at a 1992 Chevrolet Astro van, it has 168,XXX miles on the V6 and transmission. My big questions are the following. What type of gas mileage do they get? How reliable are they? How well can they tow? How reliable are they for towing? And is that too high of mileage to look into for a daily driver and tow vehicle? The weight of the car and trailer will definetly be sub 3,000 pounds, I just don't want to get rid of my 1998 Honda Civic LX sedan, which is an incredible daily, for something to tow and end up having it break. Thanks guys.
    You've got to be kidding me.

"Roma Red 1996 Honda Civic CX hatchback
    ~400rwhp untuned"

A 400 horsepower, REAR Wheel drive civic? Are you a troll?

S.W.A.P.

Milano Red

Wow, I am an idiot, I actually was talking to my friend about his Camaro when I was reupdating my signature! Haha. No I am not a troll, seeing that I've been on the forum more then you. I joined up when I bought my Bright Purple Metallic 1998 Trans Am back in 2004, but the website got changed and everything was lost, but figured this would be the best place to ask since I am already a member.

They are asking $1,200. It is two wheel drive. I am 22, still young, still think I may hate it, but if I gets my car to and from the track for those moments when it may break, why the hell not? Sure, I'll roll up to college and work and hangout spots in an Astro van! I'll take out all the rear seats, put some carpet down, rig a television up, and get some big bean bag seats.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Wow, I am an idiot, I actually was talking to my friend about his Camaro when I was reupdating my signature! Haha. No I am not a troll, seeing that I've been on the forum more then you. I joined up when I bought my Bright Purple Metallic 1998 Trans Am back in 2004, but the website got changed and everything was lost, but figured this would be the best place to ask since I am already a member.

They are asking $1,200. I am 22, still young, still think I may hate it, but if I gets my car to and from the track for those moments when it may break, why the hell not?
    dont buy it. its worth less than 1200. btw irocs been here alot longer too haha.
    but if your not a troll, then thats cool lol

there are much better things you can buy for $1200 that can towe 3000lb and will be nicer. i sold a third gen camaro with less mileage for the same price and it coulda towed if you put a hitch on it

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

btw, i miss the NEW astro van. the old one was a POS but i didnt notice till we upgraded lol...

u WILL hate a 92 astro for sure, but if you get it, you'll be able to smoke the tires if you brake torque haha

S.W.A.P.

Milano Red

Well I started in 2004, but the site got redone and everyone had to rejoin. I used to be a very frequent poster on here, LS1-Tech.com and FBody.com, frequently on EFA and LS2.

Any suggestions on vehicles under $2,500 that will do the job and be a reliable daily? I was just thinking that an Astro van would be pretty chill, haha. It was actually one of the cheaper ones I found.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

what is your zip code

How about a smaller pick-up?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

^^^^+1

S.W.A.P.

Milano Red

Zip code is 19380. Smaller pickup as in what? I've been looking at Ford Explorers with towing packages. Some pickups, but I'm not too big on pickups. I would buy one, but they don't intrigue me as much, any opinions on types might help me choose.

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

ford explorer would be cool! ill see if i can find sometin online in your zip

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

as far as pickups being nonintriguing... no offense dude... but you were considering a 92 minivan lol

Zip code is 19380. Smaller pickup as in what? I've been looking at Ford Explorers with towing packages. Some pickups, but I'm not too big on pickups. I would buy one, but they don't intrigue me as much, any opinions on types might help me choose.
    A f'in Astro Van intrigues you? What are you gonna do; park it down by the river?

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

not the sexiest, but hers sometin for $1200 within 20 miles of u
    http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...500&cardist=17

Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Sassy Cassie View Post
    A f'in Astro Van intrigues you? What are you gonna do; park it down by the river?

S.W.A.P.

Milano Red

I was thinking an Explorer would be decent. I just wasn't sure on how much they could pull, how reliable they were, and if the 4WD would matter.

Quote Originally Posted by ATCharming View Post
    as far as pickups being nonintriguing... no offense dude... but you were considering a 92 minivan lol
    I like SUV's, I'm not big on trucks. I am Asian, I can't really picture myself in a pickup truck, unless I was delivering Chinese food or some shit. If I got a truck, I would want to lift it, which isn't great for towing, haha!

Seriously, unless you're planning on becoming a child molester, skip the van!

NBM
    99 TA

those astros will get 300k miles out of them no problem as long as they have been maintained.

I believe they are pretty hard on front end parts and are not cheap to fix, but there are so many out there its easy to find used parts.

Id see if you could pick it up for a cool thousand bucks and you will probably have a decent cheap rig to steal young girls virginities in

I was thinking an Explorer would be decent. I just wasn't sure on how much they could pull, how reliable they were, and if the 4WD would matter.

I like SUV's, I'm not big on trucks. I am Asian, I can't really picture myself in a pickup truck, unless I was delivering Chinese food or some shit. If I got a truck, I would want to lift it, which isn't great for towing, haha!
    Let's put it this way: U-Haul won't even rent their trailers to people who own Ford Explorers.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information