Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

red
    1999 Tran-Am WS7

anyone hit by the economy situation?

Has anyone been laid off or let go from their jobs due to the bad economy? I used to work for Les Schwab tires which is similiar to a Discount Tires for those of you who dont know what it is.

I went to work there in October of '07 as a part timer and i ended up busting my ass for 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week and worked until they started doing winter lay-offs after christmas for the slow time of year. Well they liked me so they asked me to come back as a full timer in March of '08. Well the end of december '09 rolls around and its time to start laying guys off for a couple months. i got laid off 2 days after christmas but it was cool with me because i was ready for a break for a couple months until spring. so i get a call on feb. friday the 13th from my boss. i thought they were calling me back early but he ended up saying that the company was going to be down 40% on the year (which is like hundreds of thousands to possibly millions) and that company-wide cuts were being made all over (over 400 stores and even at HQ) and i was one of 3 guys to get the boot from our store. i figured something would come up but i cant seem to find anyone thats hiring here thats paying more than minimum wage. im thinking about either going back to school or navy/air force but i dont know

i guess u always hear about it happening somewhere else to someone else but when it happens to u then its a shock. sorry for the rant but i was kinda curious to see how many people from other areas might have been hit
    Last edited by transamdude99; 03-30-2009 at 10:07 PM.
    1999 Trans-Am
    Lid, Flowmaster cat-back, Eibach 1.25 Pro Kit, front and rear Eibach Sway bars, LS7 clutch C:\Users\Troy Boy\Pictures\Leonidas1.jpg

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

theres plenty to do in Alaska if you work.

http://www.icicleseafoods.com/locations/jobs.aspx

click on processor, at the bottom, if you want to have an interesting job you can brag about for years and years. room and board paid. ask about cannery work in Larsen Bay, Alaska.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by transamdude99 View Post
    Has anyone been laid off or let go from their jobs due to the bad economy? I used to work for Les Schwab tires which is similiar to a Discount Tires for those of you who dont know what it is.

I went to work there in October of '07 as a part timer and i ended up busting my ass for 12+ hours a day, 6 days a week and worked until they started doing winter lay-offs after christmas for the slow time of year. Well they liked me so they asked me to come back as a full timer in March of '08. Well the end of december '09 rolls around and its time to start laying guys off for a couple months. i got laid off 2 days after christmas but it was cool with me because i was ready for a break for a couple months until spring. so i get a call on feb. friday the 13th from my boss. i thought they were calling me back early but he ended up saying that the company was going to be down 40% on the year (which is like hundreds of thousands to possibly millions) and that company-wide cuts were being made all over (over 400 stores and even at HQ) and i was one of 3 guys to get the boot from our store. i figured something would come up but i cant seem to find anyone thats hiring here thats paying more than minimum wage. im thinking about either going back to school or navy/air force but i dont know

i guess u always hear about it happening somewhere else to someone else but when it happens to u then its a shock. sorry for the rant but i was kinda curious to see how many people from other areas might have been hit
    Sorry to hear that man. Hey I used to live in WA. Granite Falls, Everett, did lots of plumbing all over. Dunbar to Seatle, even Ana Cortez (spell?).
    When I got Laid off for six months everyone said try Boeing. Maybe you could try there too. I dunno just a thought..

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

<--laid off.. but i got in 56789 applications.

Looking to be back to full time making things thats go BOOM by june.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by JoshieDoom View Post
    <--laid off.. but i got in 56789 applications.

Looking to be back to full time making things thats go BOOM by june.
    Demo or Munitions?

White
    2001 Z28

everyone is hiring in oklahoma

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Red face

Sorry, for

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Demo or Munitions?
    Airbag Inflators tech lol

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

So you break necks with explosives. Sweet!

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    So you break necks with explosives. Sweet!
    Our HR woman got both her thumbs/hand broken via them.

Love the irony.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sorry when I hear BOOM. I think of my black powder cannon. LOL I like to makem big woop woop.LOL

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Our HR woman got both her thumbs/hand broken via them.

Love the irony.

hugger orange

I didn't get laid off, but had to take a $4,500 pay cut
    but in the bright side, I'm finally working up to full joint custody of my son so that should save me $10k next year

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I know a few people have, not too many are getting laid off around here though. Sorry to hear that. Whenever I couldn't find a job I'd settle for a shitty one and look for a good one while getting paid at the crappy job.

My friend has a BA in accounting and he's looked for a job for 4 months. Every single day he looks and puts in applications. He says well over 100, he has no experience or been through an internship so that's what's hurting him.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

I've got a few friends in the same situation. and quite a few others that have taken pay cuts. Luckily my job is still non-stop. Feel bad for everyone having to go thru this with our economy the way it is. Plus, cost of living keeps going up, and wages are staying the same or even dropping. Hurts everyone.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Yea, I keep noticing the prices at the stores seem to keep climbing several months ago, and pay cuts are happening...definitely not a good sign.

I know cable companies and cell phone companies make a killing on their services, everyone uses these services, i wish they'd come down in price, because i guarantee they make up their prices based on what the average person can afford.

I don't have a home phone, so a cell phone is a must for me, it's only 50 bucks a month though.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I work for myself so no layoffs or anything... I do computer services and perform weddings.

This is what I have noticed:

Computer stuff:
    People are trying to save a buck by using more freeware. This is fine but I see small businesses doing it too and most freeware staes it is only for personal use (not business) so if a company gets a virus and is using freeware, if they have insurace coverage for virus removal, the insurance company can claim they were not using anti-virus protection. It sounds bogus and it is "hardball" but I have already seen this happen...

Companies are much slower to pay. Good firms that I allow to pay on terms are taking longer to pay. Companies that often wait until the last minute to pay are also taking care of any "fast pay" incentives (like 2% off for payment within 5 working days).

Also, small business is looking at trying to implement consumer versions of products they can buy at big box stores for cheap instead of buying commercial versions of products.

As for weddings.... I charge a high rate to perform a ceremony so I raised my rates the first of the year and then subtracted what I added to show a "discount" so every feels like they are getting a deal since wedding vendors all rip people off anyway. I have no worris about not getting paid for my wedding work since I do not turn in their wedding license until I am paid in full.

hugger orange

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    Yea, I keep noticing the prices at the stores seem to keep climbing several months ago, and pay cuts are happening...definitely not a good sign.

I know cable companies and cell phone companies make a killing on their services, everyone uses these services, i wish they'd come down in price, because i guarantee they make up their prices based on what the average person can afford.

I don't have a home phone, so a cell phone is a must for me, it's only 50 bucks a month though.
    its amazing how close you look at prices and how fast they go up when you get your pay cut......but atleast we can save a penny or two by going to walmart and buying (selling our souls) forgien made products........wait that doesn't help the economy does it?

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

I try my hardest to avoid wal-mart, but their prices are so cheap compared to ANYWHERE else.

I'm not sure going to Target is making a difference anyways...

I just want to burn wal-marts to the ground

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Not for me, all I do is go to college.

My fathers salary and bonuses are currently frozen (company wide) and he's pissed about it, but he makes enough for it to not really make a big difference.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information