anyone here heard about this???

This is important information that will benefit us all in America ! It's 2007 and we are still fighting. MLK started it and the struggle continues!!!

Last fall in Jena, Louisiana, the day after two Black high school students sat beneath the "white tree" on their campus, nooses were hung from the tree. When the superintendent dismissed the nooses as a "prank," more Black students sat under the tree in protest. The District Attorney then came to the school accompanied by the town's police and demanded that the students end their protest, telling them, "I can be your best friend or your worst enemy... I can take away your lives with a stroke of my pen."1

A series of white-on-black incidents of violence followed, and the DA did nothing. But when a white student was beaten up in a schoolyard fight, the DA responded by charging six black students with attempted murder and conspiracy to commit murder.

It's a story that reads like one from the Jim Crow era, when judges, lawyers and all-white juries used the justice system to keep blacks in "their place"--but it's happening today. The families of these young men are fighting back, but the odds are stacked against them. Together, we can make sure their story is told, that this becomes an issue for the Governor of Louisiana, and that justice is provided for the Jena 6. It starts now. Please add your voice:

http://www.colorofchange.org/jena/

The noose-hanging incident and the DA's visit to the school set the stage for everything that followed. Racial tension escalated over the next couple of months, and on November 30, the main academic building of Jena High School was burned down in an unsolved fire. Later the same weekend, a black student was beaten up by white students at a party. The next day, black students at a convenience store were threatened by a young white man with a shotgun. They wrestled the gun from him and ran away. While no charges were filed against the white man, the students were arrested for the theft of the gun.2

That Monday at school, a white student, who had been a vocal supporter of the students who hung the nooses, taunted the black student who was beaten up at the off-campus party and allegedly called several black students "nigger." After lunch, he was knocked down, punched and kicked by black students. He was taken to the hospital but was released and was well enough to go to a social event that evening.3

Six Black Jena High students, Robert Bailey (17), Theo Shaw (17), Carwin Jones (18), Bryant Purvis (17), Mychal Bell (16) and an unidentified minor, were expelled from school, arrested and charged with second-degree attempted murder. Bail was set so high -- between $70,000 and $138,000 -- that the boys were left in prison for months as families went deep into debt to release them.4

The first trial ended last month, and Mychal Bell, who has been in prison since December, was convicted of aggravated battery and conspiracy to commit aggravated battery (both felonies) by an all-white jury in a trial where his public defender called no witnesses. During his trial, Mychal's parents were ordered not to speak to the media and the court prohibited protests from taking place near the courtroom or where the judge could see them.

Mychal is scheduled to be sentenced on July 31st, and could go to jail for 22 years.5 Theo Shaw's trial is next. He will finally make bail this week.

The Jena Six are lucky to have parents and loved ones who are fighting tooth and nail to free them. They have been threatened but they are standing strong. We know that if the families have to go it alone, their sons will be a long time coming home. They will lose precious years to Jena's outrageous attempt to maintain a racist status quo. But if we act now, we can make a difference.

Please add your voice to the voices of these families in Jena, and help bring Mychal, Theo, Robert, Carwin, and Bryant home. By clicking below, you can demand that Louisiana Governor Kathleen Blanco get involved to make sure that justice is served for Mychal Bell, and that DA Reed Walters drop the charges against the 5 boys who have not yet gone to trial.

I feel like this would have been all over national news, but I havent heard a peep about it.

pie
    free

Oh but it has... http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/09/20...six/index.html

It looks like there is a bit of bias in the articles.

man, I havent heard anything about this at all!

maybe I just dont pay attention to the news that much anymore...I dont know.

pie
    free

Quote Originally Posted by RavensFan19 View Post
    man, I havent heard anything about this at all!

maybe I just dont pay attention to the news that much anymore...I dont know.
    I just heard about it this morning myself.

primevil
    2000 FRC

Can't we all just get along ?!?!?!

We need to come together as a nation and start HATING THE RAG HEAD BASTARDS that are committing terrorist acts !! Lets hang them and not each other !!
    Last edited by SleeperC5; 09-20-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Red
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V

sounds like a buncha people got all shook up over some ropes......what happened before the ropes get thrown up??

blue
    83 mustang 347

just actually heard about this from a BLACK co-worker of mine, after talking about Al sharptons Idiotic remarks about Jesus. The white kids were wrong in this case, who the fuck plays a joke like that? Especially if there is obviously tention within the school. But the black kids were wrogn in beating the other kid

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Nb4 Slim Durst.....

Quote Originally Posted by SleeperC5 View Post
    Can't we all just get along ?!?!?!

We to come together as a nation and start HATING THE RAG HEAD BASTARDS that are committing terrorist acts !! Lets hang them and not each other !!
    damn right! we would be a bunch of bad mofo's if we could all stick together in this country

BlackCherry
    Bad Ass 67 Camaro / 2010

I have heard about it a bit, because we have the fuckin news on all damn day.

in a nut shell -
    There was this stupid tree at this school, that all the white kids hung out at. It was a nice old tree.
    Some black kids wanted to hang out there too, but the white kids did not want that. So some white kids put up the nooses.
    The tree got cut down.

there was a fight between some white kids and the black kids.
    the White kids got charged with minor shit and let go.
    the Black kids got charged heavily and are still locked up.

If this is not a perfect example of racism and BS, I do not know what is.
    the Black gets are getting screwed but the White folk.

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

while i think that town definetly has an issue with racism the 6 kids should at the very least be charged with ADW, 6 vs 1 can easily kill a kid. A guy who went to my wifes high school was jumped by 5 dudes who thought the kid had broken into one of their cars, the guy is a vegetable now on life support.

Impounded
    One more and I'm gone....

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    Nb4 Slim Durst.....

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzed View Post
    Nb4 Slim Durst.....
    haha

Thread Information