Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Anyone in here ever get stitches?

So I got hit in the face while trying to guard my defender in basketball and received 3 stitches just below my right eye. The doc said wait 24 hours to take a shower. I'm wondering if I should play it safe and wait 48 hours and if shampoo will hurt the stitches? Did anyone wash their hair when they had stitches and did it effect it in any way? The doc never said anything about it.

Black/ Silver
    98 TA WS6/ 01 C5 Corvette

I have not ever gotten stitches but I imagine if the doctor did not mention it then there is nothing to worry about. I would just go the 24 hrs and then do as you normally do.

White
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am

I've had my upper lip ripped in half, a chunk out of my leg and when I was little my cheek bone cut open. I have had my fair share of stitches. Wait 24 hours and you'll be good to take a shower. Shampoo will not effect the stitches as long as you rinse it off your face. Just be sure to not let the stitches scab up, if so you will be in some pain when it's time for them to come out...

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I got a few over the summer.....it's actually good to wash it out. Wait the 24 hours and then take your shower. I would take a wash rag with soap on it and either lightly wipe around it or just squeeze the soap onto it and then rinse it off.

I had a pussy installed on my shin back in August......my leg got a serious attitude, we started fighting all the time, and it kept telling me what to do so I let it heal over

Black
    2000 trans am ws6

Shampoo will not hurt them at all like stated above, but keep it clean and rinse well!! That doesn't mean soak it!! Lol and I don't recommend any swimming activities either, I've Had stitches in the face as well

Owning a 9 sec ricer is like coming out of the closest: at first you'll surprise everyone, but in the end you're still gay

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i've had stitches many times... similar to yours i had them at the corner of my eye (sleep walking accident where i took out a nightstand with my face) and never had a problem washing them/getting them wet... i did have to wash my face a bit more gentle than normal to avoid opening the gash again...

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Way too many to discuss.

The 24 hrs is to give the wound time to scab over. As long as the site is not weeping fluids you're safe to do like Spaz said use a wash cloth and be gentle around the site.

Think stitches are fun wait till you get staples....

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

Oh yea, the only time I didn't get stitches was when I chomped a hole in my tongue after failing at an evil knevil wheelie with my tricycle off the porch - doc recommended salty stuff ... Nice lump on tongue now - kids.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Well heres the opinion of a nurse who works on a surgical unit....everyday i deal with people who are fresh out of surgery, up until 3-5 days later.

youll be fine, soap and water is ok after 24 hours, just no soaking. after about 3 days, or until the stitches arent gunky, you can do pretty much anything.

Avoid sweat!

Black
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Thanks guys, took a shower yesterday and tried my best not to soak the area with water. After I was done I took a rag and lightly rinsed off the area. There was some dried up blood that was irritating my eye and reapplied some Neosporin.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

My total is around 50 through the years

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    My total is around 50 through the years
    internal and external???

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i'll try to think how many i've had but i'll most likely miss some...

eye lid 4 stitches...

right side... 6 outside, butter fly stitches don't count, 72 stitches inside

finger tip 5 stitches that were useless

gums from wisdom teeth removal 4 i think...

a few needle and thread and fishing line stitches that i did myself (i don't recomend this ever... fucking pain in the ass)

Navy Blue Metallic

I won't post mine....let's just say I win.....

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

post it!!! post it!!!

Navy Blue Metallic

380 staples left leg + 200 stitches external + many more internal
    590 staples right leg + 375 stitches external + much more internal.

Took 2 sessions to remove them all.

Not counting...

5 for above my left eye, 10 in left wrist, 10 right elbow, 20 right shoulder.

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    380 staples left leg + 200 stitches external + many more internal
    590 staples right leg + 375 stitches external + much more internal.

Took 2 sessions to remove them all.

Not counting...

5 for above my left eye, 10 in left wrist, 10 right elbow, 20 right shoulder.
    They say chics dig scars so you must have a line out the door

OP just don't let the wound get soggy otherwise it'll take forever to heal. Being that it's on your face that shouldn't be an issue. Oh and if you don't take the stitches out yourself i'm taking your man card...SMWS6TA is exempt on that though. Nail clippers work good for cutting and pulling them out.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Stepped on something unforgiving in a river on a kayak trip. Still had 5+ hours to go, the blood loss made drinking much easier. 9 stitches in that little bastard toe, it was barely hanging on. Good times.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

my wife pulled mine out....they weren't your ordinary stitch though as you can tell by the picture. Guess they're called a mattress stitch which are for wider gashes.....I almost took offense he said my gash was wide. Anyhow, hurt like a bitch pulling them out. Part of that could be just the stitches or most likely part of it was just because my wife loves watching me suffer.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Click for full size

Stepped on something unforgiving in a river on a kayak trip. Still had 5+ hours to go, the blood loss made drinking much easier. 9 stitches in that little bastard toe, it was barely hanging on. Good times.
    yeah....you can get a lot drunker if you cut yourself real good.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by rajiv1998 View Post
    So I got hit in the face while trying to guard my defender in basketball and received 3 stitches just below my right eye. The doc said wait 24 hours to take a shower. I'm wondering if I should play it safe and wait 48 hours and if shampoo will hurt the stitches? Did anyone wash their hair when they had stitches and did it effect it in any way? The doc never said anything about it.
    Stop being such a baby and just take your shower and wash you hair. Three stitches is what, 1/4" cut. Come on now, time to man up. Remember your from Jersey. We don't have no stinking pussies in Jersey. Forgetaboutit. lol
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information