Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Anyone here do Muy Thai or Jiu-Jitsu?

Im starting at a MMA school next week. It looks like it will be badass. Just wondering if anyone here had any experience and if it is worth it to learn or practice something else.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    Im starting at a MMA school next week. It looks like it will be badass. Just wondering if anyone here had any experience and if it is worth it to learn or practice something else.
    i took several forms of self defense... the most devistating one i've come across so far is kenpo... based mainly off of ed parker's system... but it also incorperated arnis stick fighting... cause any one who has ever fought in the streets knows anything you can find to use as a weapon will be used...

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Have you seen Ong Bak or Tom Yum Goong? Those movies have some great Muay Thai in them. I highly suggest watching them if you're into that. Or just be lame and watch the fight scenes on YouTube.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

also... if a place does not offer sparring they are pure trash, posers, and only intrested in your money... what good is it to learn calligraphy if you can't write...

also if oyu can hack it go for full contact sparing... yeah.. it hurts... but you will learn to NOT get hit... trust me!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Have you seen Ong Bak or Tom Yum Goong? Those movies have some great Muay Thai in them. I highly suggest watching them if you're into that. Or just be lame and watch the fight scenes on YouTube.
    you're joking???

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    you're joking???
    I know the movies suck.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I know the movies suck.
    i meant about learning karate from a movie...

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

the 12 disciples were experts in jew-jitsu from what i hear

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

Brazilian Jui Jitsu
    jeet kune do
    Thai kick boxing

those are the 3 I study....

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

The place Im enrolling in has boxing rings, cages, you name it. And they make you have sparring partners. I have some experience in Muy Thai but that was at a little bs place...the people I have met from this school know how to mess somebody up.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i meant about learning karate from a movie...
    No, of course not... I just mentioned them because he's interested in it.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    Brazilian Jui Jitsu
    jeet kune do
    Thai kick boxing

those are the 3 I study....
    three very good ones to boot!!!

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

The place Im enrolling in has boxing rings, cages, you name it. And they make you have sparring partners. I have some experience in Muy Thai but that was at a little bs place...the people I have met from this school know how to mess somebody up.
    i never had a sparing parntner... albeit the best sparing i had was when we had a multiple belt color class and we'd all spar each other... sparing a black belt was awesome!!!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I went to a free trial class they had and we learned the hip toss and some other kind of throw but it was awesome none the less. I really cant wait. Not to mention this will probably put my ass into shape.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

I went to a free trial class they had and we learned the hip toss and some other kind of throw but it was awesome none the less. I really cant wait. Not to mention this will probably put my ass into shape.

if you want a serious class go to one where they dont have belts. belts are used to hold up your pants. those classes dont use belts to show progress they use tournaments or fights.

Red
    1998 Camaro

I have practiced both. I can tell you that when you get to rolling in the BJJ portin, you are going to feel it!!! I thought I was in shape until I rolled for 30 minutes. I loved every minute of both classes. I really like BJJ..that art just amazes me. I took it in more of a competition setting but we did have a MMA style class once a week. Believe it or not...they are different. I like the no GI stuff but learning with the GI will give you your basis for everything. I think both of those are worth it. I had to quit for a while due to a divorce and conserving funds......but I plan on getting back in there as soon as I can.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by stoney2677 View Post
    if you want a serious class go to one where they dont have belts. belts are used to hold up your pants. those classes dont use belts to show progress they use tournaments or fights.
    the last place i went (were all belt colors spar together) only used belts for technique learning... lower belts learn the firsst few parts of a move... the moves get pretty damned long...

FATAL DEVIATION
    Defense against a right jab, left cross combination
    • Step back to 6:00 with your left foot into a right Neutral Bow while doing a right Inward Block on the right punch.
    • Turn back into a right Neutral Bow as you do a a right Inward Hand Sword to the left side of attackers neck while checking at your midsection with your left hand.
    • As you step forward with your left foot into a transitionary left Front Twist stance, slide your right hand down to check attackers arms while doing a raking Heel Palm Claw to the right side of attackers face.
    • Right knee to the inside of attackers right thigh. As you land do a right Inward Elbow to the left side of attackers face.

just a small example of what i mean...

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

LONE KIMONO Defense against a left handed lapel grab (pushing out) readying for right punch
    • Step back with your left foot onto the ball of your foot while pinning attackers left hand against your chest and cocking your right hand at your waist.
    • As you torque into a right Neutral Bow, do a right Upward Block type of move under attackers left arm (above the elbow, aiming to attackers face) to hyperextend or break their elbow.
    • Circle your right hand down, out and up, into an inward/downward Hammerfist onto attackers forearm (use Frictional Pull down and across your body to cancel attackers width and depth) as you release your left hand.
    • finish with a right inverted Outward Hand Sword to attackers throat (hand sword is angled with elbow higher than hand to get the proper Angle of Incidence) and return to fighting position.

that is my favorite move... gets a little harry practicing it sometimes...

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

My thing is I want a workout routine that will teach me something awesome. I watch UFC all the time and I was like hell it would cool to learn that. And its gotta be a great workout.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information