Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

Anyone have a memory foam mattress or topper?

Looks like I am not going to go Tempur-Pedic. Don't want to shell out that kind of cash.

I believe I am either going to go with one of the Serta iComfort mattresses or the Costco Novaform topper or mattress by Sleep Innovations.

I want to stay away from the the 99999999 no name ones out there (Unless people have 1st hand positive experience with some of them)

EDIT 7/10/11: Ashley Furniture has their own line of memory foam mattresses so I checked those out today. I like their "Key West" model. $1,100 on sale for the king set. Ashley only gives a 7 year warranty. I don't really care as I doubt I'd have the TP for the 20 years it is under warranty anyway.

The TP Cloud Supreme is still my favorite, but I don't think it is $2,400 more than the Ashley Key West nice at this point. However, I will probably end up buying TP pillows. I like their symphony pillow.

The specs the lady @ Ashley gave me for the Key West mattress are:
    1" poly foam quilted cover
    3" memory foam
    7" support base

I'll have to do some research & see how this stacks up to the TP & the Novaform.

Went back to Sears right after this to lay on the Serta iComforts again. Not bad, but they range from about $500 to $1,500 more than the Ashley. I don't feel they are good enough to warrant paying that much more.
    Last edited by Never-Enough; 07-10-2011 at 10:49 AM.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

My sister has Tempur Pedic mattresses on her and her husbands bed as well as on the bed in the guest bedroom.

I've slept on the bed in the guest bedroom. 3 things: 1. It's like sleeping on a cloud and I fell asleep without a problem, even sleeping on my side (problematic on my regular mattress at home as it eventually causes pains in my hip which wakes me up). 2. It gets hot as hell if you're sunk in to it. 3. I found myself so deep (sleeping on my back) in the mattress (I weigh 300+ lbs) I almost couldn't get up.

Don't take this as a negative feedback type of reply as it was unlike any other mattress I'd slept on (I actually slept like a baby till I started to sweat) and I'm tempted to try a mattress that has that as a top cover.

I believe she said she paid between $2-3K (this was a few years ago) for the king sized one in her bedroom.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Well they also have those smaller, basically covers you can buy. They are probably 3inches thick or so and 10x cheaper than the full mattress. I wonder if they'd have the same effect. Ever see those? I think wal-mart has them.

I just knew it'd be too hot for me to sleep on, and I really like my bed I have now, so why change.

I just bought a new pillow though and that's probably one of the best things you can do, buy a good mattress and pillow. I sleep like a baby every single night.

red
    2000 Z28

The problem with the mattress pads is that if there is any sag in your mattress, the pad will exacerbate any problems if you sleep on your side.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk

I don't have a real Tempur-Pedic, but I have been sleeping on memory foam for more than a decade. It's unpleasant in a hot room (lost an hour of sleep last night), and eventually it sags. Yet the type is much better than an old-fashioned mattress.

When the adjustable frame worked, it was nice, but I wouldn't want to sleep in a very elevated position. Also, sheets have to be snug, or they can pop out when the mattress moves.

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

I think I'm going to try the mattress topper route first, but I have no idea which ones to seriously consider.

The Serta Ultimate looks decent, but a lot of mixed reviews. Anyone have one of these or another one?

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

We have a mattress with the memory foam on top plus the springs. It's a "pillow top" so it's covered in fabric, and it's not as hot but from sleeping on a mem-foam pillow, yeah it gets hot. I can't imagine sleeping on a whole mattress of that stuff, I'd die of a heat stroke.

red
    69 Firebird

IMHO, the most important thing with memory foam mattresses is that they are made to be used on a foundation (solid platform) only. If you put them on a typical spring base, they *will* sag after ~1-2 years.

You can get them from Amazon and other places. They vacuum pack them and they are rather small in diameter. No problem getting through doors. As I remember, they pack them so that they are "width" long. So, even a queen size is rather compact.

However, when you get them that way, I *strongly* suggest that you let them air out in a separate room for one week. The "fresh foam" smell can be annoying. I let mine sit for 2 weeks. Then, put an additional allergy mattress cover over it.

As for them being hot, that depends on the mattress. Some use air pockets to help keep the mattress cooler.

Here's the mattress I got:
    [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Peyton-10-Inch-Sensations-Mattress/dp/B001TRET0A[/ame]

Here's an honest review:
    http://mattress-advisor.com/Sarah-Pe...-Mattress.html

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by NE-Firebird View Post
    IMHO, the most important thing with memory foam mattresses is that they are made to be used on a foundation (solid platform) only. If you put them on a typical spring base, they *will* sag after ~1-2 years.

You can get them from Amazon and other places. They vacuum pack them and they are rather small in diameter. No problem getting through doors. As I remember, they pack them so that they are "width" long. So, even a queen size is rather compact.

However, when you get them that way, I *strongly* suggest that you let them air out in a separate room for one week. The "fresh foam" smell can be annoying. I let mine sit for 2 weeks. Then, put an additional allergy mattress cover over it.

As for them being hot, that depends on the mattress. Some use air pockets to help keep the mattress cooler.

Here's the mattress I got:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sarah-Peyton-1.../dp/B001TRET0A

Here's an honest review:
    http://mattress-advisor.com/Sarah-Pe...-Mattress.html
    So the toppers sag regardless? I have read that they only sag over time if the spring mattress you put them on is already uneven.

Grey
    2003 Cobra

Has anyone here slept on one for a while? Yes. 18 months
    How is it holding up? Excellent
    How do you like it? I love it. We bought the Cloud with the box spring. It is more difficult to turn over in bed and the memory foam is hotter than a regular bed.

Do you also have the mechanical version w/the ability to lift the head and/or foot ends & the massage feature?No

Are the mattress pads good enough or should I just go w/the whole mattress? I'd go with the whole system.

Also curious as to what you paid as I am looking for the best deal & Raymour & Flanigan is overpriced on everything. They had a special i think i paid 1,999 or more I don't remember.
    Last edited by CGLHawk260; 07-04-2011 at 08:04 AM. Reason: typo

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

Too many junk so called memory foam options out there & no reviews to sort out of the mess. I am going to try to hit Costco to see if they have 1 of their Novaform toppers out to lay on even though I'm not a member.

The Serta topper looks like it could be a decent option too.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

How do you become a member at Costco?

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

Quote Originally Posted by allbaugh_04 View Post
    How do you become a member at Costco?
    Go up to the service desk & sign up by paying their membership fee

red
    69 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by Never-Enough View Post
    So the toppers sag regardless? I have read that they only sag over time if the spring mattress you put them on is already uneven.
    Yes. IMHO, the toppers are a waste of money unless you have a bed that is too firm - which is the case for some people.

IMHO, Memory foam mattresses are *awesome*.
    But, they
    1) *Require* a foundation.
    2) Some can be hot.
    3) IMHO, should always be used with an allergy cover.
    4) When first bought, will often have to "out gas" for a few days. Take the plastic off to let the mattress air out faster.
    5) May not be a good choice for people that may have liquid spills on the bed. That also goes for pet owners that allow their fur-kids on the beds.

FWIW: I've used memory foam mattresses for my dog for many years. They are a g*d-send for older dogs. Memory foam provides much more uniform support to the body. Those wood chips. foam shards, and solid foam dog beds are a joke compared to a memory foam bed.

When you read all of the bad reviews about memory beds sagging after months, you can bet it's because they didn't have the bed on a solid foundation.

red
    69 Firebird

When I received my memory foam bed in the mail, my queen-size memory foam bed was less than the diameter of a person and only 5 feet tall (the 60" width of the bed).

Also, it had a very heavy plastic outer wrap - more than thick enough to protect it from tears, pokes, etc.

So, that was great. Otherwise, you'd have the hassle of either having to get a big bed home, or be at home for a delivery.

Also, for pet beds, they don't have the out gas problem since they've already aired out by the time you buy them. For people, they keep the memory foam mattress in plastic to protect it. That prevents the foam form fully out gassing, and it also keeps some of those gases in the foam.

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

Looks like I am not going to go Tempur-Pedic. Don't want to shell out that kind of cash.

I believe I am either going to go with one of the Serta iComfort mattresses or the Costco Novaform topper or mattress by Sleep Innovations.

I want to stay away from the the 99999999 no name ones out there (Unless people have 1st hand positive experience with some of them)

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

I tried the Serta iComfort genius, Revolution & Insight again tonight. Insight feels like cheap junk, Revolution is $1k less than the Tempur-Pedic Cloud I want, but doesn't feel good enough to spend $2,500 on it. The Genius wasn't bad, but I'll have to try it again.

Still have no idea wtf I am going to buy. This is harder than shopping for a car. There are really next to zero online sites to get legit info on any of these mattresses.

Resident Mississippian BdAsBrd01's Avatar

Pewter
    2001 Trans Am

Not jacking your thread but have you heard anything about those "sleep number" beds? I just wondered how much they were and if they're worth the hype

Atomic Orange
    2007 Z06

I don't think the sleep numbers are all memory foam so I have not paid attention to them.

Pewter
    2000 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Never-Enough View Post
    Go up to the service desk & sign up by paying their membership fee
    Well how much though?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information