Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

anyone in carsales?

Thinking about getting into car sales.
    Is it a bad time right now b/c of the economy. I have noticed there is a very high turnover rate at most dealerships. Anything I need to know before making the change.

Come on give me the good and bad don't hold back

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Sell used cars.....you will not survive on $100 "minis" off new car sales.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

1. Consider the area you live in. If you are in a small populated area its going to take time for you to gain clients cus the one or two old guys that have been there for years already have the market in the area for the return customers. Your going to be working new customers that probably aren't loyal to any salesmen or brand.

2. Give it time. If you don't have 6-12 months to live basically off your draw (base pay) don't do it, it will be a total stress on you. And it may not take that long but I would expect it to. Car sales is a feast or famine business. When sales are good life is good, when its down your starving.

3. I know I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but if you can get on at a Toyota or Honda dealer thats the route I would go.

4. Working in your hometown? If you are that will help but don't count on it. People in your hometown were buying cars before you worked there and will probably go back to the salesman they had and if they do come to you it will probably be a split with the previous salesman. Car sales is a dog eat dog world.

5. On a good note, there is potential to make great money considering you have the time to wait to build your customer base.

6. Find out how many cars they sell on average a month and look at it this way. If they sell 100 cars a month and have 10 salesman thats only 10 cars per person to be had. The seasoned carsalesman should sell at least 15-20 so that leaves even less to be had by the new guys. To survive you need to do 10 or more a month. Sounds easy, but believe me its not.

I hope this helps, good luck.

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Quote Originally Posted by 02sweet View Post
    thinking about getting into car sales.
    Is it a bad time right now b/c of the economy. I have noticed there is a very high turnover rate at most dealerships. anything i need to know before making the change.

come on give me the good and bad don't hold back
    ...yeah....don't!

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by Chubs View Post
    1. Consider the area you live in. If you are in a small populated area its going to take time for you to gain clients cus the one or two old guys that have been there for years already have the market in the area for the return customers. Your going to be working new customers that probably aren't loyal to any salesmen or brand.

2. Give it time. If you don't have 6-12 months to live basically off your draw (base pay) don't do it, it will be a total stress on you. And it may not take that long but I would expect it to. Car sales is a feast or famine business. When sales are good life is good, when its down your starving.

3. I know I'm probably going to get flamed for saying this but if you can get on at a Toyota or Honda dealer thats the route I would go.

4. Working in your hometown? If you are that will help but don't count on it. People in your hometown were buying cars before you worked there and will probably go back to the salesman they had and if they do come to you it will probably be a split with the previous salesman. Car sales is a dog eat dog world.

5. On a good note, there is potential to make great money considering you have the time to wait to build your customer base.

6. Find out how many cars they sell on average a month and look at it this way. If they sell 100 cars a month and have 10 salesman thats only 10 cars per person to be had. The seasoned carsalesman should sell at least 15-20 so that leaves even less to be had by the new guys. To survive you need to do 10 or more a month. Sounds easy, but believe me its not.

I hope this helps, good luck.

You make a lot of good points. I have asked them for there sales records for the past 12 months. I told them up front that I would need to have a very aggressive comm. plan b/c in the next 10 months I will be getting married and buying my first house.

So by what you wrote since I am putting all of my availble liquid into the house and the wedding it would not be a good thing for me to do in my life right now.

They did offer me 6 months of pay to start though

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by 02Sweet View Post
    They did offer me 6 months of pay to start though
    Of which you will pay back on your sales......They are not going to give you anything.
    They will pay you a "Draw" which is in a sense, a loan.
    You will be paid your commissions after they take out whatever you have drawn.

I sold cars for Chevy & Toyota.....It's a tough business to break into.
    I wouldn't do it again.....especially with the plans you're making.

I might add; I grew to hate the assholes that came to the dealership with a chip on thier shoulder, the lies they told, the punk ass "gear heads" that came in just to fuck with the salesmen, and the cockroaches that came in with an attitude that I was a thief trying to rape them on price.
    All for a lousy $100 bill.
    Last edited by rbob93; 02-17-2009 at 10:49 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Car sales=lazy losers.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Car sales=lazy losers.
    See what I mean??

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Of which you will pay back on your sales......They are not going to give you anything.
    They will pay you a "Draw" which is in a sense, a loan.
    You will be paid your commissions after they take out whatever you have drawn.

I sold cars for Chevy & Toyota.....It's a tough business to break into.
    I wouldn't do it again.....especially with the plans you're making.

I might add; I grew to hate the assholes that came to the dealership with a chip on thier shoulder, the lies they told, the punk ass "gear heads" that came in just to fuck with the salesmen, and the cockroaches that came in with an attitude that I was a thief trying to rape them on price.
    All for a lousy $100 bill.
    is the comm that bad that you only make a 100 bucks a sale? that seems low to me?

don't get me wrong I have a decent job right now for my full time employment I just thought I could make a little more in car sales. Right now I drive an hour (50 miles) one way to work and it sucks. what does the average 26 year old make these days (high school ed. only)

Arctic White
    1997 Trans Am

here, they chase us down with golf carts and make us ride with them.

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

is the comm that bad that you only make a 100 bucks a sale? that seems low to me?
    Unless you get someone that pay MSRP or doesn't beat you to death over price, you will get a "Mini," which is the minimum a sale person can get for a deal.
    Used cars usually have as high as $5k to work with, so you can make a decent commision.
    New car sales don't make you shit.
    A decent sales person should sell 12 to 25 cars per month. Most sales people just starting will sell only 6 to 8 if they're lucky.
    Last edited by rbob93; 02-17-2009 at 11:02 AM.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

Quote Originally Posted by rbob93 View Post
    Unless you get someone that pay MSRP or doesn't beat you to death over price, you will get a "Mini," which is the minimum a sale person can get for a deal.
    Used cars usually have as high as $5k to work with, so you can make a decent commision.
    New car sales don't make you shit.
    so making over 55k would be pretty hard to do then

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

so making over 55k would be pretty hard to do then
    Yes......That's true

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Yes it would. Most dealerships offer 25% comm from what the store made off the vehicle. Like said above, used car sales is where the money is to be made. With new cars the buyer will go to one dealership and beat them up over a price so he can go home and call all the other dealerships in the area and see if they will beat it. This is a no shit story, I had a prick turn down a deal over 50 bucks even though he had to drive 80 miles one way to get the vehicle. Keep in mind this was in mid summer 08 when gas prices were at their highest. Idiot. Buyers used to stay loyal to certain stores or salesman, but not so much anymore.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Car sales=lazy losers.
    With all due respect sarge, where do you get lazy from? I work 60 hours a week, running around with customers, on the lot, chasing keys, cars, customers, other sales people, and whatever else needs doing. I am a used car manager, IT tech, and salesrep for my dealership. Lazy is not something you can do in this field. Not if you wanna make any money.
    FOR SALE 2000 Z28 M6
    It's pretty much Raw Awesome

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Yes it would. Most dealerships offer 25% comm from what the store made off the vehicle. Like said above, used car sales is where the money is to be made. With new cars the buyer will go to one dealership and beat them up over a price so he can go home and call all the other dealerships in the area and see if they will beat it. This is a no shit story, I had a prick turn down a deal over 50 bucks even though he had to drive 80 miles one way to get the vehicle. Keep in mind this was in mid summer 08 when gas prices were at their highest. Idiot. Buyers used to stay loyal to certain stores or salesman, but not so much anymore.

The internet was the death of consumer loyalty.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Exactly.

Pewter
    1999 Trans Am (WS7)

Since there are a couple of other car salesman roaming here, any of you watched the Badger car sales comercials? If you haven't, check them out on youtube, fucking hilarious.

Pewter
    2000 Z28

Since there are a couple of other car salesman roaming here, any of you watched the Badger car sales comercials? If you haven't, check them out on youtube, fucking hilarious.
    Those are great. I just about died laughing at those.

But the real question is, have you seen the movie Suckers? If you work in carsales you have to watch that movie, that and Used Cars.
    Last edited by buswwa; 02-17-2009 at 11:35 AM.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    ...yeah....don't!
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by buswwa View Post
    With all due respect sarge, where do you get lazy from? I work 60 hours a week, running around with customers, on the lot, chasing keys, cars, customers, other sales people, and whatever else needs doing. I am a used car manager, IT tech, and salesrep for my dealership. Lazy is not something you can do in this field. Not if you wanna make any money.
    +1 On that too...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information