Thread: Anyone Bowhunt?

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Anyone Bowhunt?

been thinking for some time now that, i want to give this a try. target shooting at first. Then next year going out hunting when i move to Maryland! There isn't to many places in Connecticut that offer bow set-up and tuning. this not exactly the right place to ask archery questions but just wondering about equipment. thinking about the fred Bear Lights out bow, and a ripcord arrow drop rest, not to sure on the sight, or the peep sight. I have my draw length, and i want to go with a mechanical release, not sure what one yet...

any suggestions!!!

Red
    '01 Silverado

if you aren't going to move for about a year you can get the target block an shoot that them but i don't know anything about what the best stuff to get is. i heard of hoyt but thats about it. try gander mountain is bass pro

pewter
    2002 Trans Am

I have a Hoyt compound bow and i love shooting it. if you practice you can get deadly haha but the only thing ive shot was a squirrel from about 15 yards away.

blue
    83 mustang 347

I've always wanted to try bowfishing.... fred bear and martin archery are pretty good companies. I like the FB "Lights Out" bow myself

Black
    1998 LS1 T/A Conv. RamAir

I have a Mathews XL Switchback that is very quiet and fast. Most dealers will have some bows set up so you can get a feel for what you like. Try buying a used setup and have it tuned for you, much cheaper, then if you like the sport buy a new one. My XL with all new setup set me back about $ 1,500.00

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

Honestly, think out of everything i looked at within my price range, i like the fred bear lights out. 300FPS, a double limb and the string suppressor are nice features to have, but i don't like the whisker biscuit, the sight and the peep sight that comes with the package. I'm set on a drop away arrow rest, thinking ripcord. and a angled peep sight with the alignment tube. I'm not sure about the sight yet. just thinking it might be stupid putting better equipment on a $325 bow? but i cant justify spending another 100-150 for a bow that shoots 5 FPS more and doesn't have a string suppressor.

I shoot a hoyt... What part of maryland are you moving too? I hunt alot in maryland and pa.

red with black stripes
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i got a diamond triamph bow. its quiet and accurate. dont know what is the best brand, though.

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

bowfishing is fun ass hell and if your just starting i suggest you get a nice recurve from a pawn shop, that way if you dont like it your not out massive cash... ive been bow hunting for awhile and ive gotten all my bows there.. my newest one is 31" draw, 85% let off, and is a bad ass bow only cost me 175

1958 chevy pickup 283
    02 gmc z71 5.3L white

Quote Originally Posted by stephen02ws6 View Post
    i got a diamond triamph bow. its quiet and accurate. dont know what is the best brand, though.
    hoyt is the best hands down

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

I dont deer hunt with but I do bowfish and its fun as hell, my dad and a lot of my friends bowhunt but I dont have time, i suggest a pse that is all set up, I think you can get one for around 250 and a whisker biscuit arrow rest is a must

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i haven't since my compound bow snapped on me...

black
    2000 pontiac trans am

I'm moving to St. Mary's in souther Maryland, i cant wait!!! so Hoyt and reflex make a good compound for the money!!! i'll look into them! might spend a little more but hay its an investment. I would rather have a quiet solid reliable bow that shoots 300FPS that a cheep POS that shoots just as fast. think i'll take a look at diamond too! whisker biscuit? im going to have to see, the slow motion comparison of the biscuit and the drop a ways sold me on a drop-away arrow rest.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

the great thing about the whisker biscuit is that your arrow cant fall off the rest, we have about 10 bowhunters a year stay at our lodge and I would say 7 out of 10 use the whisker biscuit.

Thread Information