98WS6/06MCSS/86GN/06H3

Anybody use Zmax?

If so how is it?

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I thought it said Zaino, but I realized my glasses were dirty

Blue
    72 Chevelle, 2001 SS

Wow, wierd. I was just gonna post a topic on this due to me seing 100 commercials for it back-back on Speed

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Quote Originally Posted by korndawg View Post
    Wow, wierd. I was just gonna post a topic on this due to me seing 100 commercials for it back-back on Speed
    REPOST.. i posted in another thread yesterday about it..

DO NOT USE IT.

do a search or... ill find it later lol

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

What is it?

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

turtle wax. best stuff on the market

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

What, no poll???

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Didn't Carroll Shelby promote that stuff?

autoconnectionllc.com 02transamce's Avatar

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

lmfao,i was a tech at ford dealership that was bought by sonic automotive in 2000.sonic required all used cars have the z-max package(z-max in oil,trans,and power steering fluids).i would put that stuff in a weedeater.tinted mineral oil.sonic automotive sucks.they told us in 2002 that they would not be giving anyone a raise because they didn't make enough money to give raises,then the VERY next day the "sonic boom" magazine(three page monthly mag every sonic dealer gets)talking about how many millions they made the previous month!
    Last edited by 02transamce; 02-21-2009 at 06:19 PM.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Didn't Carroll Shelby promote that stuff?
    Yep. He said he put his name on the line...

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

shelby is now a paid actor for z-max

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

The engine/trannie/fuel Zmax is the exact same shit with different colored dye. Just low levels of mineral oil. This has been beat to hell....VOA's have confirmed it's chemical makeup. It is just snake oil well marketed. When the Government busted their ass they just changed what they were claiming and folks just keep buying that garbage.
    Use Marvel Mystery Oil if you must.

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    The engine/trannie/fuel Zmax is the exact same shit with different colored dye. Just low levels of mineral oil. This has been beat to hell....VOA's have confirmed it's chemical makeup. It is just snake oil well marketed. When the Government busted their ass they just changed what they were claiming and folks just keep buying that garbage.
    Use Marvel Mystery Oil if you must.
    i have never used any kind of additives to any of my cars but what about lucas, does anyone here ever use it?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Lucas UL/FI Cleaner is good. Oil Treatment is a joke.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Here...I posted this the other day....I put in some factoids about Lucas Oil Treatment ..
    Well couple of issues you need to consider when mixing.
    Firstly when you mix two different "brands" you may be in reality canceling out one brands add packs with the others add packs. Add packs are designed by the blenders to work together and provide you with anti wear,suspension,anti foaming,detergents, friction modifiers etc. These are chemicals that all walk a very fine line to begin with.....One manufacturer (or blender) may use Zinc dithiophosphates, organic phosphates, acid phosphates, organic sulfur and chlorine compounds, sulfurized fats, sulfides and disulfides for his anti wear.....the other brand may use a totally different chemical makeup like sodium, moly etc. etc. What happens when you mix is Brand A will totally counter act Brand B add packs. You get high wear all of a sudden. You don't know this is going on and you think all is good....until you spin a bearing and find out you engine has been eating itself because you are a home grown oil blender that don't know diddly about add packs. Dangerous place to be. I always recommend if you are blending do it only for HT/HS ( High Temp High Shear) viscosity adjustments and utilize the same blender when doing so.....in other words blend Pennzoil Platinum 10-30 with Pennzoil Platinum 20-50.....this way you are utilizing the same manufacturers add packs and not destroying the already fragile add pack chemistry.
    With that said...let's talk blending for HT/HS.....which I do by the way.....And for the record I go for the HT/HS number more so than "viscosity" as HT/HS numbers have more meaning to me than what gravitational characteristics an oil has at some temperature. As a motor ages ...yes it loosens up...clearances are larger due to wear....folks have known for years if you utilize a heavier viscosity oil a higher mileage engine will run "smoother"....this is also true for rebuilt motors/high performance engines that will also have more bearing clearance than say a factory spec stock motor......Many knuckleheads use a Lucas Oil Stabilizer to achieve this "smoothness"...or some other snake oil that is nothing more than a oil thickener.....let me sidebar for a second here on Lucas and pick on that POS oil additive specifically.....
    here is the Virgin Analysis of Lucas Oil Stabilizer....
    TBN - 0.1
    Visc - 615.3
    FP - 435
    Calcium - 3
    Magnesium - 1
    Phosphorus - 4
    Zinc - 2
    As you can see it has absolutely no value outside of just being a straight oil thickner. Yes that sez 615.3 Viscosity....so if you use it per Lucas instructions you have close to a 140w gear oil in your motor. Sure your motor is running quieter and smoother...you bet it is....and it is not lubricating worth a damn at that viscosity as the oil is not able to properly access tighter bearing clearance spaces.....but your motor sure is quieter! Or that "tick" is gone.....sure it is...you have pancake syrup in your motor....I digress but I had to show the VOA of that garbage product......
    So if you have a higher mileage motor/high performance/Modified bottom end etc. in the LSX family you should be looking for a HT/HS of 3.2-3.8. So for my exercise I use Shaeefers Series 7000 as my host oil and I will have a target of 3.7 for my Stroker motor based on my bearing clearance of a couple of thousandths versus a factory spec of one thousandths....also I have higher bearing pressure and need a stronger film without sacrificing the lubrication capabilities....
    Now for our resident math teacher ( thank you for teaching math to our kids by the way).....A fella could utilize a blended average.....
    Shaeffers 10-30 has a HT/HS of 3.16 and the Shaeffers 20-50 has a HT/HS of 5.31.
    So I have a 8 quart sump. To reach my target HT/HS using the blended average approach I could assume the following formula to reach my target...
    3.16+3.16+3.16+3.16+3.16+3.16+5.31+5.31=29.58/8=3.69
    Real world problem utilizing this method is viscosity of the mix is more biased toward the thinner oil than the weighted average predicts. Assume that the mixing laws for HTHS viscosity are the same as they are for kinematic viscosity. This means I would be thinner than I want to be. So with kinematic viscosity laws applied some propeller head made us a viscosity calculator with the laws applied in the background and saves us all brain cells and pencils. Thank you geek man.... http://www.gesilicones.com/gesilwiza...ng/fluid2.html
    So now you can plug in your HT/HS numbers and it will calculate the HT/HS for you with the kinematic laws applied. So using my same numbers as before the calculator tells me I need a 70% 10-30 and 30% 20-50 to reach my 3.7 versus the weighted average of 75%-25%.
    So to summarize....
    Thicker HT/HS is good for "non stock motors" and higher mileage motors...usually...
    Use the same blender/manufacturer/brand for your mixing.
    The heavier oil will be more biased to the lower viscosity than your weighted average. So adjust. Cheat with the calculator I provided you above.
    Lucas Oil Stabilizer is worthless shit.
    And for the record my mix is a 12.5-35 weight oil

2007 Corvette
    Ebony

that's some damn good info on oil,sarge.i always use the weight recommended by gm.be running 5w30 valvoline max life for a while now.no additives at all.we used to use bg products when i worked for ford,are they any good?bg moa in particular.

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    i have never used any kind of additives to any of my cars but what about lucas, does anyone here ever use it?
    I got another month or so out of a fucked trans with their trans additive.

Thread Information