Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any pilots?

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

Any pilots?

I'm wanting to take some flight training and was wondering what all to expect. I would really love to make a career out of it. Whether it be small commercial stuff or rescue or cargo. Just think it could be really fun for a living. Also what kind of money can i expect to make with this?

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

expect to get sick ... I did the first time i flew. As a Regional Pilot expect to make somewhere around $23,000/yr. But...if I were you I woudlnt have a job as a pilot unless you are rich and can afford it. Its very expensive. I had my dreams of being a pilot and they were shattered because of the price of all of the training. It takes pretty much an act of congress these days to have such a job..its just not that easy anymore, of course unless your rich and can afford the $180,000+ you may need for flight school and college.

Really though man I woudl just get your private pilot license and buy you a cheap plane..get rated in that plane and do it as a recreational thing

Yeah, That's right CaptainCaveMan's Avatar
    Mexican killed my car

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    I'm wanting to take some flight training and was wondering what all to expect. I would really love to make a career out of it. Whether it be small commercial stuff or rescue or cargo. Just think it could be really fun for a living. Also what kind of money can i expect to make with this?
    Go to the military. I was stationed with some guys that were using the benefits to get a license to fly Cessna's.

If you're into helicopters go to the army and be a warrant officer.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

AFROTC is gonna make me a pilot, fighters, tankers, heavies, cargo, bombers, its all up in the air

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCaveMan View Post
    Go to the military. I was stationed with some guys that were using the benefits to get a license to fly Cessna's.

If you're into helicopters go to the army and be a warrant officer.
    Can't beat paid training.

Also, unless you're super rich, that's about the only way you can get your rotor license. It's expeeeensive.

I have (had? I haven't flown in about 6 years) my IR in fixed wing. It's alot of fun, but can get extremely expensive in a hurry. I had a couple friends in / after college that had their instructors licenses, and I pretty much got my training for free. All I had to pay was the rental / fuel of the aircraft. Guys that I've known that pursued a career as a pilot starved for a while before landing nice cush jobs as corporate pilots and such. So much so, that most of them doubled as aviation mechanics and/or instructors to help make ends meet.

down with the lot lizards blackhawk01's Avatar

Red
    2001 Camaro SS A4

Quote Originally Posted by Wade M View Post
    Can't beat paid training.

Also, unless you're super rich, that's about the only way you can get your rotor license. It's expeeeensive.

I have (had? I haven't flown in about 6 years) my IR in fixed wing. It's alot of fun, but can get extremely expensive in a hurry. I had a couple friends in / after college that had their instructors licenses, and I pretty much got my training for free. All I had to pay was the rental / fuel of the aircraft. Guys that I've known that pursued a career as a pilot starved for a while before landing nice cush jobs as corporate pilots and such. So much so, that most of them doubled as aviation mechanics and/or instructors to help make ends meet.
    Instrument flying is fun flying under the hood!!

99 Hugger Z28, 03 R6

Average flight hours is about 60-70 for the private pilot. Most rental rates are around $100/hr and $45/hr for the instructor. Do the math. Also, there is a lot of bookwork to study. Flight training isnt just a walk in the park, its actually pretty stressful. After you have a good feel for the airplane and comfortable on the radios, it does get much more enjoyable.

If you have the cash, I recommend it. Especially if you have somewhere to go. Such as a cabin, parents house, vacation house, etc. You can't beat straight-line travel at around 150 mph over the ground. A typical 4 hour drive can be as little as a 45 min flight.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by bandit95 View Post
    my dad has several licences... be prepared for a shit load of studying...

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

If you do it balls-out, no time off, you can expect to pay anywhere from $4,500 to $6,000 to just get the non-commercial rated, non-instrument rated, private pilot's license. Most people end up spending more than that because they don't have the time to devote. You'll spend a lot of time studying. My mom was a flight instructor for a several years. She built up her hours instructing and got as much twin engine and turbo-prop time as she could by flying with friends in corporate gigs. Once her hours were up, she applied with SkyWest, got on, and has been flying there for like, 7 years.

So, you don't have to do military, but it's much more work.

2 SS's are better than 1 Jays00ss's Avatar

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Man, I have been in Aviation for 17 years. Started as a Flight engineer and crew chief on MH-47 Chinooks in the Army, I am now a Lead A&P Mechanic at a Airline In Denver. In order to be a pilot, It is a long, long road. It takes a ton of money before you make any kind of money.
    My suggestion is, Join the military as a pilot and build your hours there. If you don't, you will spend close to $30k to get your liscenses, Then be stuck at some po dung commuter flying prop jobs makeing 20k a year until you build enough hours to make it to an airline. Then you will make about 35k a year as a f/o for several years. Unless you are really young or rich, it is really hard to make it.
    + the Aviation field in general is volitile. There are thousands of pilots out there, All of them with tons of flight time and they are looking for jobs. With the price of fuel sky rocketing, it's going to be even harder to get a job makeing the "Big money".

I have seen a lot of guys with a twinkle in their eye on becomeing a pilot but beleive me, It takes an awefull lot of money to start makeing any at all. I make more as a Mechanic than a Majority of the First officers that have been flying for many years.

Just my .02 worth.
    Last edited by Jays00ss; 12-07-2007 at 07:28 AM.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by DrivingFastFlyingLow View Post
    Average flight hours is about 60-70 for the private pilot. Most rental rates are around $100/hr and $45/hr for the instructor. Do the math. Also, there is a lot of bookwork to study. Flight training isnt just a walk in the park, its actually pretty stressful. After you have a good feel for the airplane and comfortable on the radios, it does get much more enjoyable.

If you have the cash, I recommend it. Especially if you have somewhere to go. Such as a cabin, parents house, vacation house, etc. You can't beat straight-line travel at around 150 mph over the ground. A typical 4 hour drive can be as little as a 45 min flight.
    Ya, but how much to rent the plane, Gas, Club dues, etc... Flying is a rich mans game.

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

good info, keep it coming. i was thinking of joining the coast guard to get some aviation experience there plus some marine experience as well. going that route, would i come out having all the hours i need and being licensed for it all? it looks like the small cargo and all that stuff dont make much money from what i'm understanding. i guess the big jets or i was really interested in rescue type flights.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

Hey dude your cheepest and yet best bet is to join the military. I'm a Flight Engineer on CH-47D's and i've seen planty of guys that come to the Army straight out of high school and go through Warrant Officer school and Flight School back to back and show up almost ready to fly. The training you would get in flight school is only enough to get you off the ground and back down safely. these new pilots don't really learn anything till they get to thier units and start what's known as Progression training. this can take anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half in some cases. but by the time your done you'll be a somewhat competent pilot. And the training never stops, unless you get out, then you can pretty much take what you've learned and apply it elsewhere. Then theres the matter of what you hope to be flying. you mention that you were interested in rescue. well mabey a medevac bird would be of interest. The only downside is that you'de be flying a Blackhawk. Just kidding dude. Like I said earlier, I'm a Chinook guy and we give everyone a hard time cuase it's the strongest, fastest, oldest, and most reliable bird out there. We do just about everything in this bird, normally cargo and heavy lift operations, but also air assualts, rescue on both land and water, casevac, we even set up as a mobile gas station. I've done all of this and some other stuff in central america i wouldnt mention here. bottom line is that it's all depending on what you would end up with if you joined the military and graduated Flight school. Coast gaurd does a lot of rescue ops but mostly over water, navy is pretty much the same but has a few different helicopters to choose from, airforce does a lot of rescue and recovery ops and just got smart and added the Chinook to its inventory. But relize that just joining to get the training has it's perks. Like Iraq,Afgahnistan, and whatever comes next. The training is cash free, but it'll cost you your time.
    Last edited by robcas47; 12-07-2007 at 10:04 PM.

LPM, & Blk
    2001 Z/28, 2010 2LT/RS

Ex- UAL guppy driver here in the good ol day's a commercial pilot 1st officer 1st year was pulling in 42.52 per hr (about $40k) a 5yr guppy driver (93.43 per hr) (about 90k yr)

The larger the equipment the more $$$ a B400 5yr Capt was pulling in $217.77 per hr (about 204k a yr).

I know pay has dropped a bunch at UAL pilots took a 35% pay cut to help save the airline. I know other carriers did the same.

Your looking at $100k for school & training. If your young go military then apply at an airline.

Good luck

Join the Civil Air Patrol then your hours are at least a tax deduction. Still looking at expensive training or hobby.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    Hey dude your cheepest and yet best bet is to join the military. I'm a Flight Engineer on CH-47D's and i've seen planty of guys that come to the Army straight out of high school and go through Warrant Officer school and Flight School back to back and show up almost ready to fly. The training you would get in flight school is only enough to get you off the ground and back down safely. these new pilots don't really learn anything till they get to thier units and start what's known as Progression training. this can take anywhere from 6 months to a year and a half in some cases. but by the time your done you'll be a somewhat competent pilot. And the training never stops, unless you get out, then you can pretty much take what you've learned and apply it elsewhere. Then theres the matter of what you hope to be flying. you mention that you were interested in rescue. well mabey a medevac bird would be of interest. The only downside is that you'de be flying a Blackhawk. Just kidding dude. Like I said earlier, I'm a Chinook guy and we give everyone a hard time cuase it's the strongest, fastest, oldest, and most reliable bird out there. We do just about everything in this bird, normally cargo and heavy lift operations, but also air assualts, rescue on both land and water, casevac, we even set up as a mobile gas station. I've done all of this and some other stuff in central america i wouldnt mention here. bottom line is that it's all depending on what you would end up with if you joined the military and graduated Flight school. Coast gaurd does a lot of rescue ops but mostly over water, navy is pretty much the same but has a few different helicopters to choose from, airforce does a lot of rescue and recovery ops and just got smart and added the Chinook to its inventory. But relize that just joining to get the training has it's perks. Like Iraq,Afgahnistan, and whatever comes next. The training is cash free, but it'll cost you your time.
    Cool, I was a chinook guy myself. I ended in Savannah in Bco 3/160th S.O.A.R. (A). Really miss working on the hooks!!

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

yeah dude i work here in ft. campbell. was supposed to get the fox models but now still stuck with D models for the 15 mon trip across the pond. working here with a guy you probably kow from your old unit. W. Scott made 7 and volunteered to come over to us big army dudes. myself i worked over in 2/160th Badboys for lil while but now i'm back in big army. Bandit95 sounds like you might as well fly army,(or military), while you are still young and if you only did a short term you'de get out and still have plenty of time ahead in life and enough flight experience to land a decent job. Also a job that most of the pilots i work with would do for free. One of my pilots has been flying since his second tour in Vietnam. since then he's come out of retirement to fly for the Army everytime there's any major conflict. Once the flying bug bites you dude you're stuck in the air for life.

NBM / Silver
    00 SS / 71 SS Elcamino

Quote Originally Posted by robcas47 View Post
    yeah dude i work here in ft. campbell. was supposed to get the fox models but now still stuck with D models for the 15 mon trip across the pond. working here with a guy you probably kow from your old unit. W. Scott made 7 and volunteered to come over to us big army dudes. myself i worked over in 2/160th Badboys for lil while but now i'm back in big army. Bandit95 sounds like you might as well fly army,(or military), while you are still young and if you only did a short term you'de get out and still have plenty of time ahead in life and enough flight experience to land a decent job. Also a job that most of the pilots i work with would do for free. One of my pilots has been flying since his second tour in Vietnam. since then he's come out of retirement to fly for the Army everytime there's any major conflict. Once the flying bug bites you dude you're stuck in the air for life.
    I don't know? I was a Nightstalker from 92-97

Blue GMC Canyon
    trans ams gone now

i just got back from the airport here. i thought i was just goin to talk to them about classes and next thing i know he has me out there checkin over a plane and me and him start flyin! it was awesome! first time i've ever even been on a plane, let alone i'm sittin there flyin with the guy. my butthole puckered up when i got the thing off the ground then it just felt natural from there on. definatley hooked now!

Sebring Silver
    2000 CamaroSS

Get the license....gain experience......got to Alaska or the south pacific & fly for hire

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information