2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Any info on new GM full-size trucks???

Well, the GF and I have been talking about getting a new truck. Our '02 Yukon has 225k on it, been a good truck, but it's getting up there in age and mileage. Pewter Z is also a DD, has 126k on it, but is not something we can drive 365 days out of the year where we get snow 3-4 months out of the 12. The white car has 165k on it, and I know very little about previous problems, and was hoping to make it my track-toy very very soon, as I've got some parts I need to throw on it.

Sooo... we've thrown around the idea of getting a new truck, and I was wanting to know if anybody had any first-hand knowledge/information on their 07+ full size line. I really don't know want a duramax, as they're extremely pricey, and don't care for the 3/4 and one ton ride quality. That, and I don't have any heavy equipment I'd be pulling with it either. At most, I'll be getting rid of the boat, in favor of a decent car trailer, so we can pull the white car to the track during the season. I've heard the 6.2s are pretty impressive, along the lines of 400hp and still manage around 20mpg on the highway? Our yukon has the 5.3L and I can squeeze just under 18mpg cruising 65mph, and driving Ms. Daisy in rush hour traffic. I could almost swear they still offer the 5.3L but don't know anything about real world mileage in the new ones. I'm looking around at 4WD Crew Cab, short bed trucks, as that will not be compromisable. With her 2 kids, and as much running around that we do, we will definately need that extra room. Does anybody here on the forum have a 07+ full-size GM truck or SUV with the 5.3L or 6.2L? Maybe know somebody that does, that have put miles on them? Any feedback would be great. A purchase this big, with plans of keeping it for a looooong period of time, I'd like to know the potential problems or periodic maintenance I may be looking at, that may be different from what I've experienced with the Yukon (which has been nothing but brakes and fluid changes, besides bulbs).

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

in june/july i bought a 2010 silverado 4x4 z71 ext cab with a 5.3 flex fuel, cylinder on demand.

I have about 6xxx miles on it now. Its been great. the new dash/cab interior design is more impressive and comfortable. The 6 speed auto is great. The ext cab yeah can fit people in back but not for a long drive. The crew cab is the way to go.

reports have stated gm does not have plans to re-design the current truck for release until 2014

Theres not much I can say, since I have not had the truck long, my father has a 2500 2007, no issues at all.

Take one for a lengthy test drive. I drove a crew cab for one week, and the ext cab for a week before buying.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    in june/july i bought a 2010 silverado 4x4 z71 ext cab with a 5.3 flex fuel, cylinder on demand.

I have about 6xxx miles on it now. Its been great. the new dash/cab interior design is more impressive and comfortable. The 6 speed auto is great. The ext cab yeah can fit people in back but not for a long drive. The crew cab is the way to go.

reports have stated gm does not have plans to re-design the current truck for release until 2014

Theres not much I can say, since I have not had the truck long, my father has a 2500 2007, no issues at all.

Take one for a lengthy test drive. I drove a crew cab for one week, and the ext cab for a week before buying.
    My father ordered his 2000 Silverado 2500 LT 4WD with the extended cab and it was damn nice. Extremely roomy for an extended cab, but I wouldn't wanna make the hike back to Indianapolis in the back. We've looked around at tahoes and yukons but I just can't get over not having the open box in the back. Haven't looked at any trucks first-hand, so we're going to make it a point to do that next weekend. The only issue my father had with his truck in the 3 years and 80k miles that he put on it was the torque converter clutch staying locked in, causing firm and hard shifts. And whaddya know... he was the quality systems engineer at the plant that produced that part

If you had to compare your extended cab to the previous design, is it about the same? Hows the leg/head room compare?

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

when i bought my 2010, i was originally looking at Tahoe and Yukons, because I didnt see the need for the open box in back. Two things made me pick the truck over the SUV.

-price, with the truck i was able to get more, with a cheaper price tag

-drive/quality/strength of parts. The silverado feels like a stronger better built vehicle then the SUV. maybe I was being biased because my 2007 trailblazer that I traded in, kept have little things go wront with. (yeah the TB is nothing like a tahoe). but with the Tahoe, it just felt as if didnt have the ruggedness for hard driving like the trucks do.

in regards to the leg/head room. The ext cab does have room alot of room compared to older ext trucks. For long distance with a family, the crew would be a better choice. The back rest for the backseat riders is more comfortable in the crew, also in the ext cab, i have to slide my drivers seat forward if someone is sitting behind me.

LOL too funny about your father being the SE that made the part. LOL

Impounded
    gmcheviac

The diplacement on demand is said to make pretty much no difference in heavy trucks others than making the exhaust sound funny basically. People delete it in the tune and get the same mileage. My '05 5.3 gets great mileage, but the truck and most of the engine is different

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

The GMT900's are pretty nice, they've got nice transmission and motor options, interior and build quality is better than previous years, the chassis is a little better than previous generations as well. They're very solid trucks and I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

But, before you set your mind on a GM truck, I'd take a look at the Ram's too. Those trucks are very, very nice, Dodge has really stepped their game up with those. Performance wise, the Hemi Ram's are pretty much even stock for stock with the 6.2 trucks and blow the 5.3's out of the water. And to me, the interior is a few steps ahead of the GM's and exterior wise, they're about as good. The Ford's are nice, and do have some good tranny/motor combo's but I don't think I'd go with one over a Ram or Sierra/Silvy.

2002 C5 - M6 - Blue
    2000 Z28 - A4 - Pewter

I was thinking about looking into the Mopar camp, but I've loved GM's full size line of trucks for so long. If it ain't broke, don't fix it, I guess that's my mindset here. Just wanted a little feedback. Of course, we've got all 3 brands right next to each other, so I may hit the Dodge dealer as well. Still won't venture over to the blue oval camp, just flat out don't care for those trucks

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Dunno man, the coil spring rear on the dodges sure seems nice. The 4.7 dodge is on par with the gm 5.3 now and they've stepped up their mileage a bit. I know my dads '03 slt ram was far more comfortable (cloth seats) than my moms leathered out '04 burb and my base '05 gmc, aswell as my sisters boyfriends cloth '08 Chevrolet. Not sure how the new dodges fair in that aspect. That dodge also felt more "solid" than any of the aforementioned vehicles

Pewter
    2001 Camaro Z28 M6

I'm not a mopar fan and have never been.

Unless your buying a Cummins to me they are not worth it.

I have many friends that had Rams and they had wheel hub issues. My gf used to have an avenger, until the ball joint on the lower control arm decided to break and her front wheel went flying while she was driving.

Guess it was a known issue that the rubber boots would detoriate and the ball joint would rust (commom on dodge cars)

Yeah all car companies have recalls and issues, but something that ignorant I can not forgive to a car company.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

The front ends and brakes on the durangos and Dakota my parents had were garbage. But the ram was solid other than clips in the limited slip carrier.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by ibanez7 View Post
    I have many friends that had Rams and they had wheel hub issues.
    I work at a parts store and I sell more wheel hubs for 99-04 chevy trucks than any other vehicle by far, only sold a couple for fords and dodges.

01 NBM WS6
    775 RWHP-757 RWTQ old sys

I would like to get on this post and say a few things about my rig. It's late now but I'll post up tomorrow.

Thread Information