Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Any Foodies Here?

I did some interesting dining today and was lusting over camel sausage online. Not standard behavior from a muscle car owner, I think. Is anyone else here into eating weird food?

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I ate bird feed once.

Mystic Teal
    1998 Camaro

I wouldn't say I'm into 'weird food', you know, like insects or human flesh. I do enjoy a wide variety of food, love to cook, and experiment with ingredients from different areas of the world. So, no, you're not alone.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I like trying unusual stuff like emu, bear, gray squirrel, alligator... I even had raw horsemeat when I was in Japan a few years back. However I think I would draw the line at some of the things I have seen on Andrew Zimmern's show...

I've tried all things listed, except squirrels and human flesh. Probably would prefer the latter. Insects are too small to really have any taste, FWIW. Bear meat is great. So is wild boar. Yak and horse are the strangest meats I've ever had in a restaurant. I just read that's legal to raise lions for meat in the USA - maybe I should try that on a road trip. I've never deliberately eaten raw meat - again, would prefer human flesh

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I've had blood soup before...and fried mush.

Frog legs taste nasty. Ate a dandelion on a bet before.

Never had sushi though, want to try that. Two nastiest things I have eaten, hominey(think corn gone bad) and on a dare I once ordered a steak extra rare. I was pretty grossed out by that one

My experience is that frogs' legs taste okay, like bland chicken.

I have been thinking of trying blood pudding. I cannot recall any bad-tasting exotic meats. Horse wasn't bad, but it was the worst of the bunch.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    I've had blood soup before...and fried mush.

Frog legs taste nasty. Ate a dandelion on a bet before.

Never had sushi though, want to try that. Two nastiest things I have eaten, hominey(think corn gone bad) and on a dare I once ordered a steak extra rare. I was pretty grossed out by that one
    Threw up the one time I had that hominey shit. What a waste, could've been turned into shine. And sushi doesn't really have much flavor imo, nothing to get worked up over like everyone seems to

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i'm game to try pretty much anything at least once.

i can't say i've eaten stuff too off the wall...squid, octopus, sushi, snails, buffalo. like i say...nothing too crazy...but i'm willing to try stuff.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Buffalo isn't odd at all. I live in Iowa and I buy buffalo meat local at three different places. There are even a few hometown style restraunts that serve buffalo burgers.

Yeah, buffalo is easy to find here, too. Some restaurants even have it.

For the record, I've had snail. It has almost no flavor, but can taste good if prepared a certain way. Those other seafoods are hardly exotic, if you ask me, and yes, I've tried them.

Since I like to read (another atypical hobby of mine), I was reminded of an arguably exotic type of food I mostly avoid: organ meat. I like liver, but it can be full of toxins. Gizzards are okay. Tongue, kidney, etc., eww. Once I tried tongue, just to be brave; it was covered with a terribly spicy sauce. Tongue or kidneys plain - heck no. Other unusual parts of animals, such as eyes and tails, are not worth it to me.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I once ate liver...with some fave beans and a nice bottle of Chianti. PHH PHH PHH PHH

Stockitie Stock Stock 95camaroZNC's Avatar

Red
    1999 Trans Am

^ lol silence of the lambs. I havent had any strange foods really, chocolate covered grasshoppers are about as close as it comes and they are nothing but crunchy.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Snapping turtle,rabbit,alligator,rattlesnake,squirrel,deer, bear,calimari,bison,frog legs,deer heart,deer liver,tripe,escargot,sushi. I have tried all sorts of stuff that others would conceder "weird" "sick" or "gross" my thoughts are don't knock it until you try it. One last thing I would eat everything on that list again, but only certain sushi there are some I don't like the taste of.

They have all that stuff in or near New Jersey? I'd like to try turtle and snake - I suspect they taste similar. Hearts are another okay animal part - not too gross for me. I agree that sushi can be unpleasant - it's one of the most overrated foods and also potentially toxic.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

all except the alligator, I actually tried that in NC. I can order it though through a company near my house. We have timber rattlers up here but they are state endagered so that would be a no no, but I can order that through the same company lol. where i live there are alot of lakes,ponds,mountains(if you want to call them that) and so on. There are alot of deer, huge bears,rabbits,squirrels ect up here. The escargot I actually tried in a chinese buffet. I enjoyed it.

Actually next weekend a few friends and I are heading to a private pond that the owner begged me to take care of his turtle problem. He keeps losing his fish population to them. he also has a ton of frogs there. next weekend will be a turtle and frog dinner weekend

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

How do you hunt/trap turtles? We used to shoot them with a .22 from a johnboat back when I was young and stupid. Sitting on floating logs they were easy targets.

Steel blue pearlcoat
    2000 dodge intrepid

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    How do you hunt/trap turtles? We used to shoot them with a .22 from a johnboat back when I was young and stupid. Sitting on floating logs they were easy targets.
    I use several methods.

rod and reel- 20 lbs line on a saltwater reel with a short stout rod in the 6-7 ft range. I tie a swivel on the end with bluefish snelled hooks they have steel leaders on them already and the right sized hook. if you cant find bluefish rigs just find something with a heavy line hooked to a 1/0 or 2/0 hook

stake- I use a 100 lbs test nylon cord with a 1/0 or 2/0 hook tied to the stake which is beaten in the ground. rebar about 2 ft long with about 6' above ground is great

on both of those you can use cut up fish,eel,chicken parts ect they are not to picky

"noodleing" sometimes I just grab them either by the tail or sides of the shell, depending on it's size. I am actually thinking of a set up that will allow me to poke in their holes during the day where I dont have to worry about losing my fingers.

they also have traps of assorted types.I never used one but supposidly they work. just keep enough above water so they can come up for air.

Frogs there is only one way I ever caught them. a very bright light and my hands. you blind them and grab them.

I used to get alligator from a major supermarket in NJ.

Here's a new one for me: black pudding, aka blood pudding. Tastes good.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information