Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Another omg what do I do with my life thread

So, skipping most of the prestory, I'm unemployed, and I'm about to be out of a place to live.

Well, a little prestory is required I guess... So, about 2 years ago I was going to enlist in the Air Force... I got most of the way through the prelim stuff, and I ended up meeting my last ex. I was planning on enlisting because: a. I had already wasted my student loans on UTI and couldnt go to a real college, b. I was seriously sick and tired of the town/area where I live, c. I thought the entire military experiance would be good for me, and d. there isn't shit for good jobs that I can get around here.

Well, I had gone to MEPS and been sworn in, and then I bailed out(chose my ex over my future, STUPID STUPID STUPID)... the only reason I managed to get out of it was because my paperwork got FUBARED, and I was going to be forced into a different MOS then I signed my contract for. So I said fuck that, got a place with my ex, and a pretty decent job I busted my ass off doing on 3rd shift.

So then I lost my job because unfortunately there are only 24 hours in the day(read: work 10 hours, ex/stepson 10hours, sleep = 4 hours?). That didn't sit well so long story short everything was in her name because of my shitty credit, so I got the big fat boot. I've been staying with some "friends" in exchange for work on their farm, but I can't stay here anymore either. So now heres the situtation I'm in...

I don't have a job or money. I don't have anybody I can stay with until I get back on my feet here. I have a dog I don't want to have to give to a shelter. I do have a sweet 32" HDTV that I'm using as a monitor right now, a nice DVD player, and some power tools. I've been planning since the breakup to go ahead and do what I was going to before I met her, and go into the Army. Biggest problem is.. well... I'm too big. I've gotta lose 30-40 pounds before I can enlist. I've lost about 10 in the last 2 months... not bad, but not enough to do me any good where I sit right now.

I spent about 24 hours in a state I've never been in before... I considered some very bad things that I'm not even going to type here because I going to try to pretend that I was never that weak. But then I managed to bitch-slap myself out of my depression and come up with this: Pawn all my goodies that are worth any money, starve the shit outta myself, and drive to texas. Why Texas? Well, I have some "long-lost" family out there... the only family that I have left alive(my legal father died when I was 10, and my legal mother died last november)... I'm planning on staying there, maybe finding a job(is there much in the way of machine shops around the Kileen area?), but ending up losing a bunch of my fat-ass and getting enlisted.

So... I don't know why I bothered posting this really... I suppose just so some of you guys could call me an idiot or maybe even point out something I'm missing... but mainly I just needed to get that shit out there period.

PS: Does anybody know how to get a new copy of my birth certificate, SS card, or DD-214? I don't have a fuckin clue where to look for that shit because it was all "lost" when my mother died. (if you don't know what a DD-214 is, then odds are you wouldn't be able to tell me how to get a copy of mine)

White
    02 WS6

Dude, you gotta lot of shit going on right now. First and foremost, take care of yourself. You don't just "bitch-slap" yourself outta something like that. The fact that you can admit you were in a bad place is a huge step, though. Losing weight isn't that big of a deal. Most recruiters will help you if that's the route you choose to go. They'll tell you exactly what I'm gonna tell you. Run, swim, or whatever you want for cardio everyday. Stay the hell away from fast food, use portion control, and stop drinking all cokes!! The pounds will come off quick!! However, none of that matters right now. You gotta take care of yourself before you add another huge stressor like basic training/boot camp to your life. Trust me, I know. I've been active duty for over 10 years.

dale

05 Wrangler
    00 Z28 sold :-(

You'd be surprised at all the fat people that go to boot camp. They'll put you in PCP (aka pork chop platoon) and you'll stay there until you lose weight...oh and lose weight you will. At least you'll have a steady paycheck (can't spend it though) and a roof over your head. The USMC will turn your pudgy ass into a lean and mean Marine bro...and you don't have to be a grunt if you're smart enough. They have all the MOS's the other branches have.

A DD-214 is what you get when you discharge/seperate...if you were never in you shouldn't have one. It tells what medals/ribbons you have ,what discharge you got...everything.
    Last edited by SeVeReDiStOrTiOn; 07-15-2008 at 07:04 PM.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

I can't really help you with any of your problems you mentioned, but will offer you encouragement. Keep your chin up and hang in there. Things usually get worse before they get better, but it will get better

Where you at in florida?Have you tried looking for a job?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Damn, that is some serious shit. I dont think I can help out at all. Spent all your money on UTI? Do you have a "degree" from there?? Maybe a big move/change is what you need. But I will tell you that a big move like that with ZERO support will be beyond difficult. Hopefully some of that family you speak of can help out. Do whatever feels right, right for you that is, and best of luck to you.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Where ever you end up at the first thing I would do is get 2 jobs. You can't do shit without money. Don't wait on the perfect job to come along either. Take the first 2 jobs you can get and work your ass off for a few months to get some money in the bank. Get self sufficient as quickly as possible. You need to get back to even before you start worrying about what you're gonna do. Right now you're in a hole and unless you bust ass you're gonna be in that hole a while. Get 2 jobs, get an apartment, and then look at the military if that's what you want to do. Don't go there because you have to, go there because you want to. It's gonna take some time and not be easy to do but if you bust your ass you'll climb back out on top of the shit pile.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    Where ever you end up at the first thing I would do is get 2 jobs. You can't do shit without money. Don't wait on the perfect job to come along either. Take the first 2 jobs you can get and work your ass off for a few months to get some money in the bank. Get self sufficient as quickly as possible. You need to get back to even before you start worrying about what you're gonna do. Right now you're in a hole and unless you bust ass you're gonna be in that hole a while. Get 2 jobs, get an apartment, and then look at the military if that's what you want to do. Don't go there because you have to, go there because you want to. It's gonna take some time and not be easy to do but if you bust your ass you'll climb back out on top of the shit pile.
    Exactly. Work hard, and get out this rut. Maybe you will loook at life differently when your not flat ass broke. 7 to 1 odds say you will look diferently at joining the military.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yeah man keep your chin up don't go this route. Where in Florida are you located?

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

I live in DeLand...

Well, whatever works outs one way or the other, I am moving to Texas at the very least. I should be able to get back on my feet out there, and I suppose I'll just see how it goes. I honestly think just the move is going to make me feel a whole hell of alot better... I've lived in this fucking town since I was 4, and aside from 2 awesome years I lived in Orlando(unfortunately its even fucking harder to afford shit out there), I've spent most of my adult life wanting to be somewhere else. Now I am getting that opurtunity at least.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

That sucks about your run of luck, I do understand the woman over military (was in the same exact situation) but it sucks that it didn't work out.

Not sure if it's been said yet but as far as birth certificate, go to the county court house for the county you were born in and ask for a certified copy. With that, you can contact the Social Security office and they will instruct you on how to get a new SS card.

White
    2000 Firebird Formula

Oh and you can also call the county and they can mail it or fax it if you can't pick it up.

Arctic White
    01 TA / 06 Duc 749D

i agree with what Orion said about only joining the military because you want to vs. having to. no one has to join, that's the beauty of an all volunteer military. i joined because i probably watched to much G.I. Joe when i was a kid and it was always a goal for me since then to be a soldier.i see and know a lot of guys who claim they were forced to join or had no other option and they are usually the worst soldiers out there. i think it's good that you posted this thread, it at least shows that your head is on right and that you have more than one plan to better your life. keep your head up dude, the best thing going for right now is the fact that you haven't given up. keep that mentality and life can only get better.

Black
    99 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    That sucks about your run of luck, I do understand the woman over military (was in the same exact situation) but it sucks that it didn't work out.

Not sure if it's been said yet but as far as birth certificate, go to the county court house for the county you were born in and ask for a certified copy. With that, you can contact the Social Security office and they will instruct you on how to get a new SS card.
    Yep the county has it and can give you a copy, I think its like 10$ or something.

If texas doesn't work out and you want to give up north a try let me know....

Green
    94 Camaro 3.4

Quote Originally Posted by 00 formula View Post
    Oh and you can also call the county and they can mail it or fax it if you can't pick it up.
    Alright, I think thats the option I'm gonna have to go with... I was born in michigan, so thats pretty much entirely out of the way of florida or texas, lol.

And thanks again guys... honestly, its not that I'm being forced into the military... its one of the things I've wanted to do for awhile, when I was going to go into the AF it was totally because I wanted to. The only big problem I worry about with it is almost all of my friends tell me I'm going to have trouble with the disicpline... and thats based on how I did in high school(I basicly gave the "authority figures" the middle finger all the way through)... but I really don't think its going to bother me as much as they say... I don't really have problems with authority in general.

But like I said, we'll see... I'm headin out there monday, so it should be interesting.

Love buying generic GM's Nastyfoot's Avatar

Black, Black
    2011 "Generic" Gasser

DD-214 comes out of St. Louis. ....Military records center? Something of the sort. had to get a copy myself about 15 years ago.

Hope this helps
    http://www.archives.gov/veterans/evetrecs/

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

You went to UTI. At least even if its short term, go get yourself a job as a mechanic. Its not the best job there is, you might not make great money starting out at it, but theres tons of positions to be had and places are always looking for hungry guys. The pay will be better then anything else you would get with no other education.

You said you know machining?
    Have you tried Ocean Design or Advanced Ordnance in Daytona.They seem to be always hiring for something.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

yes hang in there..........u r young things can turn around for you

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

a machinist with a certificate from UTI should have no problems getting a good job.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information