Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ancestry

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Ancestry

anyone know their ancestry? i'm doing a research project with one of my professors and in order to do the project i purchased ancestry.com so i can work from home instead of driving 30 miles one way to do work on site. anyway.

tonite i've been dinking around on ancestry.com and if everything is accurate on it then i have traced some family lines as far back as 1452 in england...that's 556 years...holy crap.

Impounded

79 T/A -91 Firebird
    1998 Trans Am -Oynx Black

Weve got it back to the 1400s as well on my dads side. I love having the lastname Bullshit..(bullock)
    My greatgreat grandmother on my moms side is/was a frikin straight up native american(cherokee) so yeah that leads back forever.

Blog Entries

09 EclipseGT 75 Chevy 4x4
    2001 Trans-Am 13 F-XT

I had to do a project on mine one time. Only some of the info on that site was accurate. I ended up finding a family member that had a really nice record of everything. I don't remember how far back they had it though. It was awhile back when I did that. It's always fun to find out where and who your related to.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Does that software work pretty good? Theres not to many klamborowski left and I wouldnt mind finding out some info.

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I traced mine back to 1549 in Norway. This explains the fact that I am whiter than most snow that falls and can't tan no matter how much I try.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

any free sites that are accurate???

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i wonder what makes those sites accurate?

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    i wonder what makes those sites accurate?
    a crystal ball... duh...

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

Im related to Daniel Boone

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i sold a chevy engine plaque to a guy related to the Roush family. I actually made a dumb ass comment when he told me his name, something along the lines of "heh...chevy guy with the last name Roush...i bet you catch a lot of hell from your friends" he goes "well, i'm related to the guy so it really doesn't matter"

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

i sold a chevy engine plaque to a guy related to the Roush family. I actually made a dumb ass comment when he told me his name, something along the lines of "heh...chevy guy with the last name Roush...i bet you catch a lot of hell from your friends" he goes "well, i'm related to the guy so it really doesn't matter"
    at least some one in that family knows taht ponys are for little girls...

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

you can do a 14 day free trial on ancestry with a credit card and then before the 14 day free trial is up and before they automatically bill you you can cancel it with no penalties or fees attached.

going through it though i've noticed that by and large it is accurate if you provide the system with a few basic pieces of information...name and approximate birth and death years...sometimes it can get away with just the birth year. you'll be able to pick up on census records from the early 1800s through the 1930s as well as draft cards from the world wars, marriage licenses, birth and death certificates, and other things like that. the system will also show you family trees of other people who have your ancestors on them and allows you to contact them which is actually something i'm currently doing.

the system isn't perfect though but i chalk that up to human error. some of the years don't add up or there isn't enough info to work with and so with certain people you can't go back very far because there aren't any records out there or whatnot...but i don't think that that is the fault of the software. it is a very powerful search engine though i must say.

it seems that there were a lot of puritans in the jeffords family...last names included wheeler, fish (fyshe), salmon, helmes (helme), sherwood, goodspeed, and seabrook...among others. all of those go back into england from what i've found.

it's kinda crazy when you sit back and look at it. and if it's all accurate you're looking at 500 years of history that leads directly to you...if one person had died or married someone else or whatever...you'd never be here.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

My last name is that of a car company which would be ironic as I drive a Chevrolet. People who know about cars usually comment on it.

Back to the topic: 100% English. Proud rulers of the world until America streamrolled over that whole deal

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

Don't mean to brag but I am in fact Mayflower material.
    My Great Great Grandfather left Germany late 1800s and met my Great Great Grandmother in Brooklyn she too was a German Immagrant
    The Scottish side no idea

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    My last name is that of a car company which would be ironic as I drive a Chevrolet. People who know about cars usually comment on it.
    Let me guess, your last name is Studebaker. NOT A REAL CAR.

383 w/Meth & ProCharger
    2001 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    Don't mean to brag but I am in fact Mayflower material.
    My Great Great Grandfather left Germany late 1800s and met my Great Great Grandmother in Brooklyn she too was a German Immagrant
    The Scottish side no idea
    I'm pretty sure the Mayflower arrived in north america well before the 1800's. I'm sure they arrived at Ellis Island by boat, just not the Mayflower. But it's good to know of your family history. Ellis Island has a website you can check out. Good info on looking up names of people who arrived there. http://www.ellisisland.org/

Your scottish side.....well let's just say that even our family patriarch's had their drunken days too.

Silver
    2016 Dodge Challenger

Cool site. Says my family didnt come till 1903.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    Let me guess, your last name is Studebaker. NOT A REAL CAR.
    Wrong.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

i don't have any relatives that came over on the mayflower but i have several back in there that came over presumably in the same time period...shortly after the mayflower no doubt. born in england in the late 1500s/early1600s and died in stratford, connecticut and providence, rhode island in the mid and late 1600s

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    Wrong.
    i'll guess Ford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information