Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Always have a sober buddy!!

http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_464891.html

Cliffnotes: Drunk, sat on legs for 12 hours in indian style, woke up, lots of pain, lost both legs at the knee. YEE-OUCH! Someone on here had compartment syndrome I remember. He had some huge scars, but dayum, double amputee, that would suck ass.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Quote Originally Posted by Smkn_TA View Post
    http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking...ry_464891.html

Cliffnotes: Drunk, sat on legs for 12 hours in indian style, woke up, lots of pain, lost both legs at the knee. YEE-OUCH! Someone on here had compartment syndrome I remember. He had some huge scars, but dayum, double amputee, that would suck ass.

That is me. Losing them and keeping them both have pros and cons.

One Pro = I'm taller than TS|S ()

One Con = Pain in legs for the rest of my life

ER's have not been trained well enough to recognize the signs and symptoms yet. It only takes a blood test and a pressure test * to confirm. Most Docs think sprain, broke, muscle tear. Do a standard X-ray, find nothing wrong and give you an Advil and kick you out.

The woman is right in that if they had checked her for Compartment Syndrome earlier she would have had ugly scars but kept her legs. After you lose 25% of the muscle use in your legs standard protocol for Ortho Drs is to amputate. I lost 23% and I was an experiment for the Dr ( I agreed to try) to see if I was able to get back some use of my legs. I am a case file in U.S. Army medicine somewhere and also he wrote up an article for some Ortho crowd.

* - Pressure test consist of a needle attached to an instrument that is jabbed into the muscle. It gives a reading on the amount of pressure it takes to go into the muscle.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 12-11-2009 at 06:37 AM.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

perfect....sue the hospital because you're a drunken lush. Here's a thought...don't get so drunk you pass out sitting on your legs.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I think it was stevie

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by doberman 152 View Post
    I think it was stevie
    except she fell asleep on her head

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    except she fell asleep on her head

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

I KNEW that shit was cruel and unusual when they made us do it in kindergarten!! Fuckers!

brb suing elementary school

Impounded
    2000 firechicken

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I KNEW that shit was cruel and unusual when they made us do it in kindergarten!! Fuckers!

brb suing elementary school
    wonder how much i can get for eating that paste?

Navy Blue Metallic

perfect....sue the hospital because you're a drunken lush. Here's a thought...don't get so drunk you pass out sitting on your legs.

Agreed - She's an idiot for getting drunk and stupid for sitting with her legs crossed for 12 hrs, which raises the question just how drunk was she? Because the more I drank the more I resemble Sarge needing to wear Depends, other words I have to piss like a fire hydrant every 1- 2 hrs depending on how much I drank. You can't tell me she didn't have to get up and go pee . Also I know from 1st hand experience, that when you start feeling the pain, you can't sit still, You move around trying to make it go away, kinda like when your leg falls asleep, it starts off like that then it increases to very painful levels.

However - Orion, she is suing because the ER Dr fail to properly diagnose her which resulted in her losing both her legs from the knees down, a diagnoses that could have been corrected with surgery and physical therapy. This is what she is basing her lawsuit on. In my case, If it had happen in a civilian hospital I could have sued too. First trip, sent home with a Motrin, 2 hrs later, and in a level of pain that can only be described as more painful than Hell, ( Death would have been a mercy) 5 hrs later my Ortho Dr was called in, he checked 2 things and then I was rushed straight into an 8 hr surgery, had 3 more 8 hr operations in that week, spent 22 days in ICU and another 20 in the hospital. I still am recovering and it has been 5 1/2 yrs since then.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

how did you get compartment syndrome?

midnight blue
    2000 trans am

The Cause of it

Because the connective tissue that defines the compartment does not stretch, a small amount of bleeding into the compartment, or swelling of the muscles within the compartment can cause the pressure to rise greatly. Common causes of compartment syndrome include tibial or forearm fractures, ischemic-reperfusion following injury, hemorrhage, vascular puncture, intravenous drug injection, casts, prolonged limb compression, crush injuries and burns.[1][2] Another possible cause can be from the use of creatine monohydrate. A history of creatine use has been linked to this condition.[3][4] Compartment syndrome can also occur following prolonged surgery in the Lloyd Davis lithotomy position where the patients legs are elevated for prologned periods. As of February 2001, any surgery that is expected to take longer than six hours to complete, must include Compartment Syndrome on its list of post operative complications. The Lloyd Davis lithotomy position can cause extra pressure on the calves and on the pneumatic pressure Flotron boots worn by the patient.

When compartment syndrome is caused by repetitive use of the muscles, as in a cyclist, it is known as chronic compartment syndrome (CCS).[5][6] This is usually not an emergency, but the loss of circulation can cause temporary or permanent damage to nearby nerves and muscles.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    The Cause of it

Because the connective tissue that defines the compartment does not stretch, a small amount of bleeding into the compartment, or swelling of the muscles within the compartment can cause the pressure to rise greatly. Common causes of compartment syndrome include tibial or forearm fractures, ischemic-reperfusion following injury, hemorrhage, vascular puncture, intravenous drug injection, casts, prolonged limb compression, crush injuries and burns.[1][2] Another possible cause can be from the use of creatine monohydrate. A history of creatine use has been linked to this condition.[3][4] Compartment syndrome can also occur following prolonged surgery in the Lloyd Davis lithotomy position where the patients legs are elevated for prologned periods. As of February 2001, any surgery that is expected to take longer than six hours to complete, must include Compartment Syndrome on its list of post operative complications. The Lloyd Davis lithotomy position can cause extra pressure on the calves and on the pneumatic pressure Flotron boots worn by the patient.

When compartment syndrome is caused by repetitive use of the muscles, as in a cyclist, it is known as chronic compartment syndrome (CCS).[5][6] This is usually not an emergency, but the loss of circulation can cause temporary or permanent damage to nearby nerves and muscles.
    not someone in general.....SMWS6TA specifically. Here's your sign.

Navy Blue Metallic

Highlights: I was doing an 8 mile road march with 80lbs of gear. Had to complete it under 2 1/2 hrs. Mile 1 legs cramped up, mile 2 1sg SGT was bitching in my ear - "Common Mac, your an NCO, get up there, , mile 3 got super pissed off at myself and douche bag bitching in my ear, began Airborne shuffle (it looks like a walk but with all that weight on your running), completed road march in 2 hrs. All through out the day my legs kept hurting more and more, I thought it was a torn muscle or heat cramps. It was July and the temp was 99 degrees at Ft Campbell. At about 5 pm I had enough went to the ER, they did the X-ray and then sent me home. During the next 2 hrs the pain kept increasing. Went back, the rest you know from previous post.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Highlights: I was doing an 8 mile road march with 80lbs of gear. Had to complete it under 2 1/2 hrs. Mile 1 legs cramped up, mile 2 1sg SGT was bitching in my ear - "Common Mac, your an NCO, get up there, , mile 3 got super pissed off at myself and douche bag bitching in my ear, began Airborne shuffle (it looks like a walk but with all that weight on your running), completed road march in 2 hrs. All through out the day my legs kept hurting more and more, I thought it was a torn muscle or heat cramps. It was July and the temp was 99 degrees at Ft Campbell. At about 5 pm I had enough went to the ER, they did the X-ray and then sent me home. During the next 2 hrs the pain kept increasing. Went back, the rest you know from previous post.
    I remember hearing this story before from you. Some crazy stuff, glad things worked out for you better then the above!

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by bluehawk2000 View Post
    The Cause of it

Clinical text book answer, but there is some more to it.

95% ppl that get it are from crushing injuries
    5% exercise induce

This is how it was explained to me by my Ortho Dr. Your body produces something called CPK (not sure exact name), CPK is what breaks your muscles down to help build them up after you exercise. Most ppl have between 50 - 200 cpk, 200 being ppl like body builders. When compartment syndrome kicks in your CPK rises. Most symptoms (pain) are felt around 1600 to 2800, Physical therapy (PT) and some other things can help treat at these levels. When you get to 3000 - 4500 level you will (have more pain) need surgery called Compartment Release. They split the affected area open and release the muscle group. Then after a couple of days close you up and then PT. When levels reach 5000 or greater you begin to have muscle death (even more pain). You will feel your muscles dieing. Major surgery is involved. At 8000, most Ortho Dr's will amputate. It is now a matter of life and death. The process that is killing your muscles will leach into your blood stream and begin to attack other organs, Usually it happens in the following order: Kidneys, Liver, Heart or Lungs, then Brain. *Remember this for later. Now my readings................. When the Ortho Dr checked mine they where "15,589" I know this because he showed me the lab results and talked it over many times over the following yr. My case is an absolute exception. I should be a double amputee.

Sorry for it being long hope it kept you interested....

Blue
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

Oh shit...

Lately ive been falling asleep and waking up with a severe numbness in my arm cuz i lay on it. I gotta sleep on the damn couch.... So im all crounched up trying not to fall off and i wake up with my arm dangling for like 5-10 minutes.

Thats it. Im getting a bed. Ill be damned if im losing my arm.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    yeah, I remember that story now. Sorry to hear about that. Basically it sounds like you starved the muscles of blood basically? The only way I can relate it to something is when I'm walking hills hunting or dragging a deer out. Legs will start to burn real bad and you just keep pushing through it. Only in my case I can stop and rest or I can make it to the top of the hill in a relatively short time. You didn't have those options.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by InEEdSPEED View Post
    Oh shit...

Lately ive been falling asleep and waking up with a severe numbness in my arm cuz i lay on it. I gotta sleep on the damn couch.... So im all crounched up trying not to fall off and i wake up with my arm dangling for like 5-10 minutes.

Thats it. Im getting a bed. Ill be damned if im losing my arm.
    I get that once a month. Goes numb from the shoulder down to the fingers. Freaky when you wake up and can't move your arm or hand.

Thread Information