Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit

Unhappy Air Show Tragedy

This is the site that I frequent the most so I thought I'd post this here. I live in Tucumcari, NM, a small town of about 5,000 people. We had an air show today that was cut short by a tragic accident involving one of the stunt pilots. His name is Guy Baldwin and here is his website: http://www.docbaldwinairshows.com/

He was doing some stunt flying when something went wrong. You've probably seen this done before but it was a small plane and he would fly straight up until he stalled, then he would dive at the ground and pull back up just before he hit it. He did this 2 times and on the 3rd time he pulled up too late and slammed the belly of the plane into the ground, right in front of my eyes. Dirt flew up everywhere and the plane broke apart as it bounced. A good thing is that it didn't explode or catch on fire.

Everyone was in shock of course and the rescue crews hauled a$$ to the scene. About 10 minutes later the announcer called for a local pastor to come with him so that is a bad sign. The man wasn't immediately taken to the hospital while we were there so I think that is a bad sign also. They cancelled the rest of the air show and asked us to leave so we did. As we left I got a good look at the plane and the front of it was smashed in pretty bad. I am trying to be optimistic but I don't think the guy made it.
    My prayers are with him and his family. This is a sad day for Tulsa and Tucumcari residents.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

googled it, nothing relative came up

Shit
    Its been confirmed. He did die in that crash. http://www.kobtv.com/index.cfm?viewe...28144&cat=HOME

I guess Google needs to step it up.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

wow , that sucks, i cant say i've ever witnessed anyone die

Shit
    He was about 200 yards away when he hit but the dirt that he blew in the air hit the crowd like a large cloud. I had my contacts in so that was unpleasant. I didn't get to see it come to rest but people that were closer and out in the open told me that the plane cart-wheeled and then stopped. They think he died on impact because he hit very hard. I just can't believe that this happened in this small little town. Nothing significant ever happens here so this is a shock to everyone. I just hope he didn't suffer. At least he died doing what he loves.

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

is this thread invisible to everyone except us?

1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

it'd be just like seeing dale earnheart (sp) die

Red
    1996 Trans Am

I knew Dr. Guy D. Baldwin personaly, he was my aviation medical examiner for the past 4 years as I am also a pilot. I still can't believe what happened, he was one of the most well known pilots in Oklahoma and will always be remembered. At he died doing what he loved. My thoughts and prayers to his family.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss View Post
    is this thread invisible to everyone except us?
    It makes me wonder.

Shit
    Quote Originally Posted by Red on Red WS6 View Post
    I knew Dr. Guy D. Baldwin personaly, he was my aviation medical examiner for the past 4 years as I am also a pilot. I still can't believe what happened, he was one of the most well known pilots in Oklahoma and will always be remembered. At he died doing what he loved. My thoughts and prayers to his family.
    I was there and saw almost the whole thing. I am sorry for your loss and I have sent my condolences via email to whoever will read his website email. I am pretty good friends with an EMT that worked the accident and without getting into detail, you can rest assured that he died quickly and did not suffer.

What is so shocking to me is that I was talking about what happened, happening just a minute or two before it happened. After I saw him come very close to the ground on the stunt before the crash, I told my mom that I had seen the same thing on the internet on a video and the plane crashed. I told her that in that one I believe the guy lived through it with a couple broken legs. I looked back up and no more than 30 seconds later this plane crashed.

Having known him, I'm sure that you are upset so my prayers are with you. I know he was doing what he loved to do so that is a positive thing. If you are a stunt pilot, let this be a reminder about how fragile life is and how suddenly it can end. If you find out more information before I do, please let me know. I am one of those people that finds closure by learning as much as I possibly can about an event.

Thread Information