Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Affording College, need advice

Here's where I'm at. I lived in NJ all my life and came to CA after college to live w/ my father and step-mom (my mom is not the most stable person in the world and really knows how to de-motivate someone). I left high school with a 1.7 GPA and attended a community college out here for a year and 1/2. Took 16 credits and 11 during 1 summer. My dad and step-mom recently split and my dad's now moving out of the country due to financial stresses and a business opportunity. My GPA is now a 3.3 and will transfer to Rutgers next semester in NJ. My goals are to ultimately become an attorney; however, because of family stress and financial limitations I'm worried if I can reach my goal.

I would be in NJ right now partying with my friends before I go back to college; however, I am dead afraid that because I'll have to pay for my own college and possibly living expenses. My dad is broke and my mom has been on disability for the past 2 decades. I have no financial assistance from my family. Once again, my family isn't stable in NJ as my mom can be very stressful and her b/f continues to threaten me any chance he gets.

Instead, I'm still in CA working full-time until my father moves in August. After I purchase my next f-body and pay for the insurance for that year, I'll have $7000 left over in my bank. Keep in mind that other than the $10k in an account for me I had from my parents when I was 17 for a car, 90% of the stuff I pay for is MY money that I have earned!

My question is, how do I continue to financially get by for the next 5 years? Anyone know of scholarships/loans/assistance that could help me through? Any guidance is VERY appreciated, THANKS!

Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by myk02k View Post
    Here's where I'm at. I lived in NJ all my life and came to CA after college to live w/ my father and step-mom (my mom is not the most stable person in the world and really knows how to de-motivate someone). I left high school with a 1.7 GPA and attended a community college out here for a year and 1/2. Took 16 credits and 11 during 1 summer. My dad and step-mom recently split and my dad's now moving out of the country due to financial stresses and a business opportunity. My GPA is now a 3.3 and will transfer to Rutgers next semester in NJ. My goals are to ultimately become an attorney; however, because of family stress and financial limitations I'm worried if I can reach my goal.

I would be in NJ right now partying with my friends before I go back to college; however, I am dead afraid that because I'll have to pay for my own college and possibly living expenses. My dad is broke and my mom has been on disability for the past 2 decades. I have no financial assistance from my family. Once again, my family isn't stable in NJ as my mom can be very stressful and her b/f continues to threaten me any chance he gets.

Instead, I'm still in CA working full-time until my father moves in August. After I purchase my next f-body and pay for the insurance for that year, I'll have $7000 left over in my bank. Keep in mind that other than the $10k in an account for me I had from my parents when I was 17 for a car, 90% of the stuff I pay for is MY money that I have earned!

My question is, how do I continue to financially get by for the next 5 years? Anyone know of scholarships/loans/assistance that could help me through? Any guidance is VERY appreciated, THANKS!
    sell your car... your gonna have to make some very big sacrifices to makes this happen.... but apply online for federal aids...and as many scholarships as you can find to aid you... i think the wedbsite is fafsa.org or somehting, look it up on google for government aids...and take out student loans and stuff

White
    1998 Trans Am

yeah, i'd def drive something else, cars are cool, but if you want that goal you'll pry have to be willing to sacrifice and drive a 94 honda civic for a while, just think of it as an investment, if you make your grades, become an attorney, maybe you'll be rolling around in a new z06 in fifteen years

UberTapping Friction Pimp Anthracis's Avatar

18D Cock Diesel
    1999 Z28; 98 SS #2043 RIP

Join the greatest military in the world and have them finance it. Just someting to think about.

White
    2003 Ram 2500

Yeah Man go talk to someone about joining the National Guard. Once you get done with boot and AIT you just serve one weekend a month and two weeks a year. Here in IL they pay up to $2500 a semester for the first year and then after that they will pay it all if you are going to a state school. plus you will get drill money every month and other bonus. It will differ from state to state. Right now bonus are good mine is $20,000.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Get a part-time job with UPS. They will reimburse a shitload of $$$ towards college. Great benefits too all for 3-3 1/2 hours of work

I remember reading that UPS is one of the shittiest jobs to work.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by Anthracis View Post
    Join the greatest military in the world and have them finance it. Just someting to think about.
    Can't, because I'm physically disabled. The only way I can join is to lie about it, but I won't make it through and just hurt myself to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by Hurley711 View Post
    Get a part-time job with UPS. They will reimburse a shitload of $$$ towards college. Great benefits too all for 3-3 1/2 hours of work
    Look above.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Quote Originally Posted by NE98LS1 View Post
    yeah, i'd def drive something else, cars are cool, but if you want that goal you'll pry have to be willing to sacrifice and drive a 94 honda civic for a while, just think of it as an investment, if you make your grades, become an attorney, maybe you'll be rolling around in a new z06 in fifteen years
    IMO I don't see saving much money unless I get some POS unreliable, old car. I just bought my 2nd f-body for $13,200; 2002 LS1 6 speed with 26000 miles. That car will last from now until graduation and I pay $2800 in insurance as it is w/ that car due to a clean record and good student program.

Even if I get say a used Cavalier, I'd save maybe $4000 on the cost with similar miles and maybe $600 on insurance. Same gas mileage with A4 probably on the highway. It's just not worth the sacrifice, at least I get something I love for a little more dough...and if I get something against my insurance then that's when the car goes.

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

Oh yea and depreciation costs...with my last f-body I paid $11995 + tax 2 1/2 years ago and put 26,000 miles on it before getting into a comprehensive-related accident. I get quoted $14775 and $13775 after my deductable. The way I see it is an economical car depreciates MUCH faster than an f-body due to demands, so I'll probably break even after inherited costs.

no more 4th gen secondgearscratch's Avatar

Pewter
    2000 z28

FAFSA!! get all the grants you can get. make sure your grades are ok. i am kind of in the same boat which is why im hitting it hard to get my grades up because they were so bad senior year i pretty much pissed away a scholarship....

and punch your mom's boyfriend in the face the next time he threatens you. my mom has a boyfriend to and he knows where not to take things because in that situation im the "unstable" one. dont take shit from someone who isnt your dad or step dad.

california's cost of living is so high too, that sucks. and so is the east coast for that matter. move to the mid west and have money for cars and titty bars.

Pewter
    2000 Formula 6spd

i signed up for the marine corps when i was 21 cuz i couldnt keep paying for college. im getting out in 3 months and its back to texas

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Can't, because I'm physically disabled. The only way I can join is to lie about it, but I won't make it through and just hurt myself to be honest.

Look above.
    And? That doesn't matter, UPS is an EOE, they will find work which can accomodate your needs. Do you think a huge Corporation like UPS would turn you away because of a disability and fret the consequences? Give it a shot, it IS NOT all physical labor.

green
    95 firebird

Definitely fill out a FAFSA. The less money you have in the bank at the time the better I believe. You can also check out Stafford Loans.

Which city are you going to? Rutgers Camden, Newark, or New Brunswick/Piscataway?

Black
    2002 Camaro Z28 6-spd

New Brunswick

Thread Information