Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Advice on new tv

My sons tv went out this week. So I think I am going to move the one from our den to his room and buy a new one for the den. I have not bought a tv since 2001 so I have not kept up with all the changes. I don't even know where to start looking, lcd, plasma, etc.

I'm looking for a 35-40". I want a good tv, but doesn't have to be the best. We are going to put "the best" in our game room later on. This one will be mainly for tv and some movies.

Point me in the right direction

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

How much you want to spend?

You can get a Vizio 50" HDLCD for around $600.

The market is at a turning point. 3DTV's haven't quite caught on and now there's UltraHD TV's those are in the $2k and up.

For someone that has beyond perfect vision (20/10) Samsung is the one's I like the most, Vizio are a 2nd/3rd for me.

Some it's their color sharpness while others it's how dark the picture seems.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 07-30-2015 at 11:53 AM.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I have nothing but Samsung TV'S in my house. Both LCD and LED. The one in my bedroom is 42" and I've had it probably 8 years now. Zero issues from any of them. Lots of brands out there, but I'm a Samsung guy when it comes to flat screens.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

I don't want to break the bank. I'll save that for the game room. No Ultra or 3d. Don't think I would ever get a 3d unless they start making them where you don't need the glasses.

I don't have a set budget. Just depends on how much I like it versus how much it cost. But I think we can find a good one for less than $1000.

Jon, about a year ago I was having issues with my Sony I bought in 2001 and while doing some reading on how to fix it I saw a lot of issues with the newer Sonys and Samsungs. I've liked the looks of the samsungs but that made me a little nervous.

Who makes the one with no border?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Interesting. I'll keep that in mind if/when I ever need a new one. My 55" LED was bought in probably 2009/2010, so it's been a handful of years since I've looked.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Just started looking at prices and the ultras or only about $300-$400 more . . .

silver
    '02 Firebird Formula

Remenber Plasma reflects glare from windows and stuff like that but LCD don't.
    Last edited by 024mula; 07-30-2015 at 02:35 PM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

...the thing about "ultra HD", or "4k", is that there's really no mainstream content put out at that high of a resolution, ...which means if you're going to be watching content that's distributed in 720p or 1080i/p, then you're getting zero benefit from having a tv that will be upscaling (i.e. dynamically resample and filter) those HD frames to a size four times as large, which is a degradation of the picture.. ...better get one w/ an excellent scaler...

Navy Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 Conv

Two weeks ago I noticed a good deal at Walmart and picked up a 49" Ultra HD for $429. I wasn't familiar with the brand (Sceptre) but they are supposed to be made by one of the other big names. Has lots of features including being fully ready for Hulu, Roku, Netflix and the other anti cable add ons. Agree there is little to no actual Ultra HD content but I'm sure it is coming. This thing supposedly scales up current content to some extent. What I do know is it was dirt cheap for an Ultra HD and runs well so far. Yes I bought the extended on this just in case I'm wrong (I seldom spend the extra but....). Only downside is the black is a little on the gray side of shading. Still on sale Sceptre U500CV-UMK 49" 4K Ultra HD 60Hz Class LED HDTV - Walmart.com .

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

My favorite TV's are plasma but they are getting ready to not be made anymore...LED technology has finally caught up with picture quality and refresh rates. I have a 60 inch Panasonic Plasma that I love, a 42 inch Panasonic plasma that I love, and a 55inch Samsung LED SmartTV that I like more than any of them and it weighs about 20lbs less "no joke". Plasma has a thick piece of glass on the front of it which adds a lot of weight to it...LED's have a thin film or a thin piece of glass so they are way lighter by default.

My suggestion is to go with a 1080p LED. 4k is a waste of money at this point because almost no 4k content exists yet so you cant even really use it for what its made for yet.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

There is content out there and more coming out for 4k. Direct TV has announced they will be/are beginning to offer 4k service in some areas. You can also run 4k on your own if you have a powerful enough comp. A buddy of mine does it.... you also need to have the new generations hdmi cords and jacks.

Did you guys know most of the big companies are already working on 8k.... it never ends.

I have always like plasma and there are benefits to plasma that led and lcd can't touch.... like color depth and refresh rate. But the new ultra HD and super ultra HD(the names are getting crazy) look great when done right.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-31-2015 at 07:58 AM.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Thanks for the help.

Like I said earlier the last tv I bought was 2001. So when I buy one I plan on keeping it a long time. So even if there is not a lot of Ultra content right now it may not hurt to go ahead and get one.

But I also want one that will last a long time.

Are pretty much all TV's smart TV's now or is that something I need to check?

Arctic White, red/gray

It' still something you need to check as TVs come in multiple series. Some series are better than others. You can buy a 50 inch Samsung for 4k TV for 1300 bucks. You can also buy a 50 inch Samsung 4k for 2500 bucks. The difference is the series, a higher model will come with more options, better parts, sometimes different screen etc.

red
    95 Z28

Sounds like you're not really an AV nerd, so do yourself a favor, go to Costco, and get the biggest LED LCD you can get that looks good to you. You'll also get a second year of warranty added on. Plasma is old news if they even still sell them there. Don't bother with Ultra High Def, no real content for those, waste of money. We don't even utilize the full capabilities of a 1080p TV very often as it is
    this post is meant as a joke and in no way should it be interpreted as a serious or meaningful reply. The author of this post cannot be held liable for any damages, both emotional and physical, that may be incurred from the reading of this post. By acknowledging this disclaimer you hereby release the author from any and all liability

Arctic White, red/gray

Plasma is old news because the manufactures wanted it so... not because LED and LCD are actually better. They are better in some ways... worse in others.

Direct TV has had 1080p for years. And they now offer 4k.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 07-31-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

One more thing, don't pay for "Smart" content on the TV if you don't have to.

I have 3 "Smart" TVs (a Sony with proprietary OS, an LG with WebOS, and a Panasonic plasma with Vieracast) and I don't use the features on any of them, though the WebOS is the best of them by far.

Spend $100 and get a Roku 3. I have one on each TV.

It does the Smart thing better than any of the built-in versions.

The headphone jack built into the remote also lets you watch TV without disturbing the wife.

2000 Camaro SS
    '02 Z28 parting-out

Your right. Not a av nerd. But I do want a good quality picture and a tv that will last and not be behind the times in a few years, and don't mind paying a little more for that.

P.S. closes Costco is over 200 miles away. This is Sam's country. But I get what you mean.

I'm leaning towards lcd. From what I've seen it will work better in a bright room and it has a thinner border.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

While plasma has an arguably better picture (new LED LCDs can get close but still can't touch the black levels), plasma is a dying technology primarily due to energy consumption.

A plasma will use MUCH more power than an LCD set, like several times more.

My plasma has the best picture quality of my TVs, though the LG does look mighty good.

I wouldn't even consider a plasma nowadays.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by CJREX View Post
    While plasma has an arguably better picture (new LED LCDs can get close but still can't touch the black levels), plasma is a dying technology primarily due to energy consumption.

A plasma will use MUCH more power than an LCD set, like several times more.

My plasma has the best picture quality of my TVs, though the LG does look mighty good.

I wouldn't even consider a plasma nowadays.
    Plasma also puts off a lot of heat as well...your comment about black levels is dead on tho. Nothing displays black images like a plasma will.

Arctic White, red/gray

True that plasmas do use more power. On average 50 inch plasma energy star will cost you about 8-10 dollars more per year than a 50 inch energy star lcd. And 10-13 dollars more per year compared to the average LED TV. Big bucks I know.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information