Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice needed

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Advice needed

Anyone here besides me loose all motivation to stay in college? How did you pull through it.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

How long have you been in?

The fact of the matter is that unless you want to be a peon the rest of your life, a college degree is all but required. Yeah, everyone knows someone with a 5th grade education that is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a year and that it can be done. Sure it can, but the chances of it happening are about the same as hitting the lottery.

Most places won't give you the time of the day for an interview without a college degree, and increasingly, more and more are looking for masters degrees.

Having said that, a college degree doesn't automatically equal financial success and a corner office. At the end of the day, there's no substitute for hard work. And there's no shortage of dumbasses with a degree (undergrad or masters).

There is a need for plumbers, electricians, etc. There always will be.

Ultimately, you have to decide what you want out of life. Morgan Freeman said it best in Bruce Almighty: People underestimate the value of good old fashioned hard labor. Some of the happiest people in the world come home smelling to high Heaven.

There is something to be said for the accomplishment of having a degree that should be looked at with pride.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I have been at it for 2 years. This is where I went wrong. I wanted to go and get my A.S. in dental Hygeine. I listened to everyone that said it was too hard and an A.S. is useless etc. so I went in for business and I absolutely hate it. I have an office job now that I can live with but not forever.

Desert Boat Guy SouthernBornThriller's Avatar

Black 2002 T/A M6
    Green 1997 Ram 4x4

I was bored with college. I was the guy who could only show up on test days and still ace it without ever opening the books. It was like I was paying a few grand a year to party and drive an 2 hrs each day (I lived at home). I just needed a challenge.

So, I took a semester off to really figure out what I wanted to do, and came up with the decision that I need to finish college to get the time of day from anyone that matters, but I don't wanna shell out all that money for something I'm not interested in.

Came up with the decision to let Uncle Sam pay for my college, and give me something interesting to do in the meantime. Joined the Marines.

Black
    99 SS

I droped out after 2 years, just not was I was into at all, I now have my HVAC license, and am trying to get my Journeyman ELectrician license.

there are always other options out there for you. but to make good money you need to become a licensed professional to get the 60-80k a year that people want

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Quote Originally Posted by JHayesLS1 View Post
    I wanted to go and get my A.S. in dental Hygeine.
    Ugh. No way could I be poking my hands in other peoples mouths all day long. It's no wonder dentists have the highest suicide rates of any medical profession.

It's tough when you're 20, 22 years old in college trying to figure out what you want to do with your life, not to mention the process it takes to get there. It's hard seeing past the Thursday night party night (or whatever it is where you live/go to school) towards the rest of your life. Hell, I was 25 or 26 before I settled down into a career.

The reality of it is there is a large percentage of people to do something for a living that has no real connection to their degree, unless you're specialized (medical, engineering, teaching, law, etc). The key thing to remember is that the degree opens doors that would otherwise be shut. Take a look at monster.com and the like for what employers are looking for. It's an 'employers market' of sorts. The 'market' is flooded with people looking for a job, thus the competition is tougher and so are the requirements for a job.

The only person that can decide what is right for you is you. Not easy, but that's the way it is. You have to decide what you enjoy doing, you have to make an honest assessment as to if you would actually do well at your chosen field; and that's probably the hardest part.

Go to job fairs, that sort of thing.

Don't know what else to say other than good luck. It's a tough process, but nothing in life is easy.

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

I'm looking at becomming an apprentice with my company now. I'm not a fan of the UA but I would be taught a trade and thats something I can do is use my hands. I can't remember shit but I can work my ass off.

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Here is reality...

I have managed multi million construction projects throughout New England.

I have designed and implemented extremely complex computer network systems from Maine to New York.

I have taught skiing as a professional instructor, been a performing musician, buit three different companies, initiated the CompTIA Network Plus certification and served on their Board of Directors. I have had public speaking engagements at Comdex and the PC Expo and was on the President's Y2K Task Force. I am even a published journalist in the technology field. Heck, I'm even a non-denominational minister who performs wedding ceremonies as a sideline...

The bottom line, after all that I have accomplished, is I am not qualified to work at the majority of safe, regular jobs that require a formal degree.

I spent four years at college, pissed off a professor, and ended up two courses short of my graduating requirements despite having 52 credit hours in my major (english) and having fulfilled all of my diversity requirements.

Basically I received all of the education, plus a little more as I worked two jobs while at school, but I am not qualified for the vast majority of positions available in the working world.

It is not a problem for me as I am basically an entepreneur and have made my own way wherever I have gone, and I have boatloads of friends and connections who will hire me should I want to settle into a coroporate lifestyle at some future point, but from the perspective of being in a position of having the appropriate paper qualifications to earn a job like most other people... That door is long closed.

An example is my wife, who thought we might want to join the peace Corp. for a year, learned that I am not qualified to join with her because I lack a degree...

Finish school. Change you major if you don't like business. A little extra time and car with your education now can open a multitude of doors later that are closed for a guy like me.
    2002 Street ET Champion New England Dragway
    1999 Street ET Champion Oxford Dragway
    My Blog is here: http://www.downtime.com

Nothing special
    Nothing special

The above poster is wise. Listen to him.

And he brings up another point: Very few people (again, people that aren't specialized) end up changing careers 3 times during their lifetime. What you do in your 20's and 30's probably isn't what you'll be doing in your 40's and beyond.

The key is being versatile and willing to accept new challenges.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

Anyone here besides me loose all motivation to stay in college? How did you pull through it.
    just stick with it.

anything you can do without finishing college you can do after college.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by Tide View Post
    The above poster is wise. Listen to him.

And he brings up another point: Very few people (again, people that aren't specialized) end up changing careers 3 times during their lifetime. What you do in your 20's and 30's probably isn't what you'll be doing in your 40's and beyond.

The key is being versatile and willing to accept new challenges.
    I didn't go to college for a few different reasons, but happened to settle into an industry that allowed growth if you were hungry enough to put your heart and soul in to it.....and it's paid off.

Yep, I'm one of those 'pee-ons' that have seized every opportunity through blood, sweat, tears, hard work and dedication.....and I still do. I'm very certain I could adapt to any industry remotely similar.

I'll take my experience over a 4-year degree any day - and I'll be the one getting the nod at the interview.....guaranteed. Again, I'm not saying my situation is the norm, and what I've done isn't for everyone....but it can be done.

I guess my point is........everyone's different, you've (JHayes) just got to figure out what you like to do, and be happy with your job.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

Even some of these non-union skilled jobs are requiring some kind of degree. All I want to is make cars look pretty. But to get a job higher than $8.50/hr around here, you need to be trained beforehand. So I've gone 4 years now with a GED and know for a fact that the simplest A.A.S. will go a long way. I'm enrolling now for the fall semester to start my 2 years to a Assoc in Applied Science to get to work in a body shop.

It's all a matter of doing what you love. I love repairing cars and want to run my own business. If you're into dentistry, then go for it. These people telling you something is too hard aren't the ones that are waking up to do it every day... Good luck with whatever you choose.

Money isnt the most important thing in life. It's just helpful...

Buy Domestic, Buy a Lexus The Project's Avatar

Red Jewel
    2010 SS

Just remember that no matter what you do in life no one can take away your education. Once you have it, you have it forever.

I have two degrees and worked my ass off to get them.

I use my degrees every day at work. Most of the time I'm either coming up with ways to save the company money or listening to people complain about each other and the "company".

Maybe I should move the couch into my office.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 T/A A4

^HR I take it?

NBM
    2000 WS6

More than likely the parents are paying for it.........Thats a great reason to stay in...........

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    More than likely the parents are paying for it.........Thats a great reason to stay in...........
    Holy shit, ain't that the truth. I'm working towards a degree right now, I drive 1hr 30 minutes ONE way to college, come home, then go work 40 hrs a fucking week night shift. I've lost my will to live let alone go to college, but I am 20 now, I've got fight in me, in a couple years it will all be worth it.

As long as the ends justify the means then so be it.

Oh, and zboner, never mention journeyman electrician again, I had the option to train for that when I turned 18 and said no, seen my dad's friend's paycheck afterwards and I have been punching myself ever since.

blue
    83 mustang 347

I dropped out and went straight to work in the corporate world.

Jhayes, here is something to think about bud. I work for one of the biggest supplemental insurance companies in the nation. This company is known for career progression and how well it treats it's employees. I work my butt off and i am still stuck in the same position that I started in. I see people around me all the time get promoted ahead of me with less senority and less professional work experience/training than me because they have a degree. Seeing that happen is very disheartening but I made my choice. I am not satisfied with mediocrity anymore so I am going back for fall semester

Some people don't have to go to school to be successful, but in our generation those people get fewer and farther between every year.

My advice to you is to stick it out. Chances are that you have already made your mind up though.

Buy Domestic, Buy a Lexus The Project's Avatar

Red Jewel
    2010 SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Z View Post
    ^HR I take it?
    Yes sir HR Manager. I work the Logistics Management end also (process improvements).

Kids with no education complain they have to actually WORK 8 hours a day!!!

They only want to give 70% effort but want 100% of the pay!

Black
    1999 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 4get gto View Post
    FL bright futures...CC is free.

I'm getting registered for the next semester as we speak.

Kamen Blue
    05 Segueway

I didn't pull through.

Now, I live in a shitty apartment in a bad section of town. I'm a welfare dad, with four kids by three different mothers.

Now get off your ass and hit those books.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information