Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

midnight blue
    2000 Pontiac ram air ws-6

About to get screwed by my employer..Grrrrrr advise needed

Long time no talk guys... I been busy, hope everybody did not miss me to much... lol

Long story short, I work in automotive and I have been working 7 days a week for the better part of 3 years now. Now we have a new management team and they have come up with a brilliant idea. Lets find a way to get more profit for the company and bigger bonuses for ourselves at the expense of our workers.

We are currently launching new programs now and it's looking like we will be 7 days a week for the next 2 years or so. They come up with this plan to instead of having you work your scheduled 8 hr shift 7 days a week to some sort of continental shift. One week you work 3 12 hr days for 36 hrs and the following week you work 4 12 hr shifts for 48 hrs. Needless to say it nearly eliminates your overtime. These lines will run 24 hrs a day so my brain has not put together the man power requirements to make this happen but I'm pretty pissed about it. I don't want to give up my saturday and sunday for straight time.

Then to sum it all up, they say hey guys it's not about the money... LOL

Anybody got any experience with this kinda thing? Pros/cons? ways to fight it?

Hard working guy just trying to get ahead.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

That's the way most hospitals operate, 36+48=84, so you get 4 hours guaranteed OT. I don't know what you were getting before.

But if you find a way to do like me, and just work 4 days every week, you end up with 16 hours OT per paycheck, and that really adds up.

the 3 day weeks are kind of nice since you only work Sunday, Wednesday, and Thursday, then a 3 day weekend. If yall use the same schedule we do.

Since you effectively end up with 2 day shifts, and 2 night shifts, it makes it pretty easy to swap with people to get days off without using vacation pay. at the hospital its possible to get like 11 days off in a row, without using any banked time, and still get your full hours.

midnight blue

Well I usually average anywhere from 8hrs overtime to 25 hrs overtime. But sunday is the money day because it's double time. Just using quick math I'm losing over $10,000 a year if we do this schedule change.

I mean I can see advantages to having time off but at the same time I'm there to make money. If I am home I am spending money. Not what I want or need to do. It's not like were making a boat load of money to afford a lavish lifestyle but it's nice having money in the bank. I'm just so used to working and getting that OT money.... Definitely makes me nervous. Plus everyone I work with is pretty money oriented and wont trade a making money for a day off.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

I may work for an automotive company as well, and currently am scheduled to work Friday and Saturday night for straight time. However, I'm able to pick up extra hours so most of Saturday if not most of Friday ends up being time and half or double time.

Do you get a shift premium?

I don't plan on doing this for a career, still in school. The money is good, but the work and working conditions blow. So, I'd recommended finding a plan out and tough it out for now.

Do they pay for school?

NBM
    1999 TA A4

Why not take a second job somewhere?

You have 4 days of availability one week and 3 on the other week.

Some place has a part time job just waiting for you to fill it.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

^^ What Tom said.

I am uncertain how moving the hours around eliminates your potential for overtime. Anything over 40 hours is overtime and if they can't get all the work done running you guys at 40 hours, or the new 44 hours, how does moving the schedule around change anything? I understand that you are technically not scheduled, but as soon as stuff piles up they'll be making phone calls asking guys to come in on your days off.

midnight blue

They break it off into team a, b, and so forth.

1 week you will work mon-wed 3 12 hr days equals 36 hrs. so right there I am missing 4 straight time hours and 8 hours overtime at time and a half and 8 hours of double time for sunday.

The next week you will work thurs-sunday for 40 hrs and get 8 OT hours. No double time for sunday.

So doing some quick math here I am losing a cool $700 every 2 weeks gross income which equals a loss of $18,096 a year.... Mother f'er..... Now I'm depressed.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

Aren't you in a union? I mean (even though I'm not a fan of them) isn't this what they are for? Or are they going along as well?

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    Aren't you in a union? I mean (even though I'm not a fan of them) isn't this what they are for? Or are they going along as well?
    Heh... The Unions are cutting overtime. I can only speak for IATSE. What use to be 11.5 hour days, 5 or more days a week, are now 8 hours a day. 5 days a week if you're lucky. All that overtime is sorely missed and has made a huge dent in household incomes over the last few years. While at the same time, health insurance costs keep rising... I wonder what the reasons behind all the cut in hours could be?

midnight blue

No union... This company is very anti-union. In fact they got the employees so scared of even mentioning unions that the employee will bend over whenever they ask and not complain at all. they think if they start a union drive they will just shut the shop down. Which this company has done before but jesus people need to stand up for something. I imagine in a few more years we will be paying the company just to work there. I don't want to be the guy yelling union either because the way people are around there they will snitch you out in a second.

The reasoning is they just want to make more money and fatten their bonus pool. The company is making money and is healthy. they keep hiring more and more engineers we have more supervisors then we need, just retarding things they keep wasting money on.

I'm all for a company making a profit, but it should not be doing it by taking it away from the hard working employees.
    Last edited by knightryda01; 07-21-2013 at 10:48 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

If they're cutting that amount of hours, it isn't possible to turn out the same amount of work. How many employees are there? Are they hiring more people to make up for the loss of production due to less hours? That would seem counterproductive.

midnight blue

I don"t know exactly how they plan to do it. its a certain number of teams which will most likely be filled up by temp workers at $9/hr. Its set up to run 24 hrs a day same as a 3 shift 8 hr day is set up. their saving money by paying minimum overtime and zero double time. Then they give you the lame excuse of we want you to spend time with your family.... lol Exactly how am I spending time with my family when you got me working 12 hr days? Not to mention 2 hr comute so my day is 14 hrs in total. Yea Daddy's a little tired today hunny... go play.

Like I said I am all for a company making a profit, but don't rape my paycheck to do it.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Sounds like the new management team is smarter than the old one. If a company needs workers to all work OT to get the output desired, they aren't very effective IMO. Not the workers, but upper management.
    Boost gets you laid, unless your name is Jon.

2002 Trans Am WS6 - Red
    2013 Chevy Traverse LTZ

Overtime won't last forever at any job.

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6 M6

It does suck for employees but its much better for the overall health of the company not to pay overtime. For what they are paying you guys in overtime its much cheaper to hire more people. Just be happy if they allow you to get it still. My employees get over 30 mins overtime without my approval I have to take corrective action and to get approval I have to go to our district manager. So rarely if ever do they get it.
    Mods - Lid, Skip Shift Eliminator, MGW shifter, UMI SFCs, Founders Lower Control Arms, Founders Panhard Bar, Founders Adj. Torque Arm, UMI Torque arm mount, MWC Drive shaft safety loop, KONI Yellows, Strano Springs, Strano Sway bars, UMI Upper and lower A Arms, 160 thermostat, TSP headers and TSP true duals Monster stage 2 clutch, racetronix fuel pump, Strange S60 rear axle and tune by Frost.

Gone:2001 Camaro SS #4846

Overtime is just that, OVER time. Extra time needed to meet a demand.

Overtime is not guaranteed, it's just a nice bonus.

But to continually expect it is doomed to disappoint.

Like 35th said, if continuous overtime is required they need to rethink their manpower needs.

Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Sounds like the new management team is smarter than the old one. If a company needs workers to all work OT to get the output desired, they aren't very effective IMO. Not the workers, but upper management.
    Agreed 100%...over time is never smart when it comes to labor or P&L management. If you have the right people in place and they are trained correctly, over time is almost never needed unless something out of the ordinary takes place...it sounds to me that they are trying to balance out what should have never been happening in the first place.

The part that sucks is that this organization/work force is now used to the extra $$$ and are going to get hit because management is doing what they are supposed to.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

If you don't like it you're free to look for a different job...

white
    99 Trans am

It sucks for the employees that are counting on the overtime as part of their normal income, but this could not go on forever. An efficiently run company should have very little overtime for hourly employees.

on the positive side, you mentioned they are hiring more management and engineers... how's your resume looking?

my personal opinion is one should always be looking to improve your own situation. What was your long term goal? this may be the "push" you needed to get motivated again. Did you plan on working as the hourly employee doing the manual labor until you retired?

midnight blue

NO guys I agree... Nobody wants to work 7 days a week forever. I am in a position to where I want to be debt free and I am almost there. I just had a new baby so that threw a little wrench into my plans but the money is good and I want to get it while I can. I've simply been soaking up as much OT as I can over the last few years to get myself into a better position to where i can go to school and not be dragged down by debt.

I've earned $10,000 just in overtime this year already. I don't count on it but at the same time it really helps. I'd like to think of myself as a skilled employee and I am not easily replaceable. Our temp employee turnover is really high.

Like I said it's one thing if were fighting to keep the doors open but that's not the case. I work for a multi billion dollar company. There is no shortage of dollars.

It looks like they are backing away from this for now as they have heard to wrath of the workers and nobody is happy. lets hope it stays that way.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information