Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Question Abandoning a vehicle (Serious)

Say I have this certain vehicle, and I remove the tag and any identification numbers off it. In the small chance it is traced back to me, are there any possible legal ramifications? If so, what?

Thanks in advance for serious replies.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

vin is more than one place.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

If they REALLY wanted to, they would get you. The VIN is in muliple places. I doubt they would though, just have it towed to junk yard. But if its your Iroc, Im sure all the VINS are all rusted threw by now.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yeah man, call a junkyard. Most places will come pick the car up and pay you for it. If you're that serious. They wont pay you much, but you could/should get something.

I got 350$ out of an eagle talon that never ran, but I did have over 1100$ in new parts on the motor, 4 new tires etc.

'99 -- Z/28 -- Pewter

you get in trouble for leaving a vehicle? here i always thought it'd just get towed, and you couldn't have it back unless you paid the fees for towing/storage of it. which, normally ends in the wrecker place keeping it.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Eagle Talon, yea... I used to have one. Motor, Tranny, 4 harmonic balancer's, alarm going off issues, ABS module failed. biggest damn turd I will ever own unless I buy 86Irocs car.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    vin is more than one place.
    I know, I was planning on finding them all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    If they REALLY wanted to, they would get you. The VIN is in muliple places. I doubt they would though, just have it towed to junk yard. But if its your Iroc, Im sure all the VINS are all rusted threw by now.
    At this point I wish the whole thing would have just rusted away.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

seriously guy, if you're serious about offloading yourself of the car, call a junkyard or a scrap hauler, local papers/craigslist is full of scrap haulers, they will take the car for free and leave you with nothing but memories, or solicit the thing and see if you can get someone to buy it. if you are honesly not gonna drive it, drop insurance, send in your plate, and list the thing for sale. First $3.50 takes it.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Yeah man, call a junkyard. Most places will come pick the car up and pay you for it. If you're that serious. They wont pay you much, but you could/should get something.

I got 350$ out of an eagle talon that never ran, but I did have over 1100$ in new parts on the motor, 4 new tires etc.
    I might fall back on that. I don't want to pour any more money into this piece (as described in my other thread), but there are so many new/great condition parts on there that I would feel I would make a killing parting it out on ebay, however, I'm not sure if that would be worth the hassle.
    Eagle Talon, yea... I used to have one. Motor, Tranny, 4 harmonic balancer's, alarm going off issues, ABS module failed. biggest damn turd I will ever own unless I buy 86Irocs car.

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

The way i understand it, the car is broke down at your apartment complex at school? how would they feel about an abandoned, broken down car thats parted out

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

The way i understand it, the car is broke down at your apartment complex at school? how would they feel about an abandoned, broken down car thats parted out
    Well, as long as they don't report me to the EPA for all my engine fluids that are now gracing their parking lot, I figure I can get it back to my parents house and garage it until we make enough money off the parts, and then just get a pick up service on the remaining shell.

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by 86 IROC-Z View Post
    I might fall back on that. I don't want to pour any more money into this piece (as described in my other thread), but there are so many new/great condition parts on there that I would feel I would make a killing parting it out on ebay, however, I'm not sure if that would be worth the hassle.

Hey what's the deal with your car? What has gone so wrong that you'd just toss it away like that? I dont know anything about your cars troubles, but why cant it be fixed? No title, stolen, what? I'm seriously interested in knowing about why you gotta off load it..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

Pewter metallic
    2000 Camaro SS

Lets say this car being discussed is allegedly a white 86 IROC for discussion sake. I would first try the junkyard thing and they may give you a couple hundred bucks for it, maybe.

Don't just abandon it though, if its traced back to you, and a wrecker company picks it up, they will send you a bill for towing and 15-30 days worth of storage which will amount to several hundred dollars. Don't ask how I know.

Another alternative would be to get a buddy that could haul it somewhere and set fire to it. That should make for a fun afternoon and great youtube potential.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

I say you repair the coolant leak, Then get a video camera and place a brick on the throttle pedal and sit back and wait for it to KABOOM. Then post viedo of carnage THEN, sell it to the scrap yard.

Ive always wanted to just hold a car WOT with a brick on pedal and wait for it to explode. Wouldnt cost you much really. Just buy a 512k memory card for your camera.... That should hold a solid 30 seconds of video, plenty for your car.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Smittro View Post
    Hey what's the deal with your car? What has gone so wrong that you'd just toss it away like that? I dont know anything about your cars troubles, but why cant it be fixed? No title, stolen, what? I'm seriously interested in knowing about why you gotta off load it..
    See the thread I posted 3 minutes before this one:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110450

You can search threads posted by me if you want the rest, but basically, this is the worst so far, as well as the final straw.

But its legal, title in my name, insured, and all that.

Everything fiberglass
    2005 Amberlamps

Quote Originally Posted by Y2KPewterSS View Post
    Lets say this car being discussed is allegedly a white 86 IROC for discussion sake. I would first try the junkyard thing and they may give you a couple hundred bucks for it, maybe.

Don't just abandon it though, if its traced back to you, and a wrecker company picks it up, they will send you a bill for towing and 15-30 days worth of storage which will amount to several hundred dollars. Don't ask how I know.

Another alternative would be to get a buddy that could haul it somewhere and set fire to it. That should make for a fun afternoon and great youtube potential.
    Thanks for the info. The last thing I need is for this pile to cost me even more money

As for the last part, that's a great idea, I have some friends who are the "revolution is coming" types, and I'm sure they have enough firepower to have some fun with it
    I say you repair the coolant leak, Then get a video camera and place a brick on the throttle pedal and sit back and wait for it to KABOOM. Then post viedo of carnage THEN, sell it to the scrap yard.

Ive always wanted to just hold a car WOT with a brick on pedal and wait for it to explode. Wouldnt cost you much really. Just buy a 512k memory card for your camera.... That should hold a solid 30 seconds of video, plenty for your car.
    Don't be so mean... at least a minute

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Me and a buddy did that once with a 94 s10 blazer. He was so sick of fixing it he wanted to blow it up. The damn' thing ran against the limiter for like 20min. the exhuast was cherry red.LOL It eventually shut off but not before we caught the entire yard on fire and the fire dep. had come to put the grass out. Funny thing was the next day we hit the key and the damn' thing fired right up!LOL It was running very bad but was'nt dead!LOL

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Thanks for the info. The last thing I need is for this pile to cost me even more money

As for the last part, that's a great idea, I have some friends who are the "revolution is coming" types, and I'm sure they have enough firepower to have some fun with it

Im sorry man. Ill stop for today and maybe tomorrow

But seriously, Maybe go on eGay and find what some of the parts you have in fairly new condition are going for. Then add in your time needed to remove (Time is Money, sometimes just laying around scratching your balls sounds better then spending the time needed) and see if it would be worth THAT money from parts, AND the money you would get if you just took it to the junk yard. Obviously its gonna give you more of a return parting out and collecting scrap steel price's... But it would come to time invested to me.

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Talking

Oh man!

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Sorry bout your luck dude! Sheeez. I guess you're done then.Wow...................

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information