So this is something I am half seriously considering. I kind of posted it as a half joke in another thread but have decided to ask around and see if I'm the only one interested in such a pursuit.

Every year several races consisting entirely of beaters are run across the nation. No it's not exactly cheap even though the cars can only cost 500 finished cost. You still need safety gear nomex clothing helmets licenses etc. As well as the entry fees. However, the thought of wrenching on a beater with a few like minded folks all sharing the cost of parts and doing the labor themselves is more than a little appealing to me.

Basically you need to buy a car for 500 or less and get it up to par while not crossing the 500 dollar barrier. Certain items don't count toward the limit such as fuel cells battery boxes seats and restraints roll cages lights windows.... basically anything that has to do with YOUR safety and the safety of those around you does not count toward the 500.... which is why it can get a bit pricey.

Also sponsors can give you money but not parts and the money they give you I am not sure if it can be used on the car. If I recall they said you are best served by using sponsor cash for entry fees pizza in the paddock etc.

All items purchased must have reciepts as to their cost and the cars must be inspected for what they call the BSF or Bull Shit Factor. You get hit with a 1 lap penalty for every BSF point you accrue. BSF is applied when it's obvious you are lying about how much you spent on things, or on what things you did.

The reason this sounds like fun is because you can basically run what you brung. There aren't any speed or weight classes there aren't restrictions as to the make or model of cars. There are vids floating on youtube of the race and in one great one a toyota MR2 had a HELL of a time trying to get past a stripped down Buick Regal with the 3800 series II. Took 7 mins of battling for the Toyota to actually make it past him.

I know this is LS1.com but one of my dreams is to run a fully stripped Mark VIII in this race. 4.6 DOHC with 290hp and 3.27 gears. Backed by the same 4R70W thats in the mustang. A 3673lb luxo barge(3900 avg wet) that gets high 14's in the quarter stock. take out all that interior nonsense and all that extra trim and sound deadening and other junk and I can easily see a Mark coming in at 3500 or less wet. You can lower them for free thanks to the air suspension so better handling costs 0. they have IRS exactly the same as the Cobra.... and they are a dime a dozen with indestructible engines. I'm sure someone is selling a running mark 93-95 for 500 or less.

Personally I can't think of a better car to run in this race if you really can find one that cheap. They really do handle wonderfully. Back in 96 the auto mags pulled .86g's on the skidpad and ran the slalom at like 65 mph as you are all well aware numbers like that compare favorably to our cars in handling. Although thanks to weight and power disadvantage the Mark loses in a straight line. Chop the weight and ALL those numbers simply get better. Having owned one I can attest to the fact they handle AMAZING for their size.

Enough about my dreams. What do all of you think? Anyone interested in starting a racing effort? If so anyone have any suggestions for cars that can be had in running condition for under 500 dollars?