Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

2014 Chevrolet SS pricing set at $44,470

Damn.........

2014 Chevrolet SS pricing set at $44,470 | Motoramic - Yahoo! Autos

When Chevrolet announced it was delivering a proper rear-wheel drive sports sedan, its first in 17 years, excitement mounted. The Aussie import boasts 415 hp, and marks the face of the automaker's latest NASCAR racer, making the SS a potential hit for the company that seeks to prove it can still wrestle with the Europeans. The big question, of course, was the price, and how expensive would this sleek, sleeper of a sports sedan really be. Well, now we know: Just $44,470.
    I say "just" with mild hesitation. Ringing in over $45,000 when dealers add the title and license fees make the SS an expensive machine, but at the same time, it can sprint to 60 mph in under five seconds and do so in a quite comfortable, unobtrusive manner. For $45,000 you'll get a 6.2-liter, small-block American-made V-8 powering a near-luxury car that seats four. And at that price, the SS splits the space between its major Detroit competitors, costing less the Chrysler 300 SRT8 but more than a Ford Taurus SHO.
    The best part, however, is this: There are only two options on the SS, power-operated sunroof ($900) and full-size spare tire ($500). That's it. No one will turn German and plunder you of every dime you own just so you can drive a car that's basically equipped. (In unrelated news: Did you know Porsche can leather-wrap your rearview mirror for a mere $200?)
    The SS likely won't be perfect. It does not come with a manual gearbox, which, if you ask me, is a travesty, and its looks are perhaps too dull for some. But it's a solid, honest price that offers serious American muscle in a rear-wheel drive sports sedan -- despite it being fashioned from a Holden Commodore sold by GM's Australian division. It's been a long time coming, and all signs point in the right direction.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Yep. Out of my price range until the trailer park gets ahold of 'em.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

45k. Are you kidding me ? After options and additional taxes you may be looking at almost 50k. Think about that.
    My ride is a 2002 Camaro SS SLP #3296 with 30k, LTH, 3" Y, CME, Frost tune, K&N, ported TB, Blackwing lid, Bellows, MSD, Denso Iridium, and 85mm MAF, Bilsteins, Eibach springs, SLP strut brace, Adj. Panhard, TA Girdle, UMI, Pro 5.0, Nitto NT555
    My wife has a 2004 GTO with the rare SAP, 18" wheels, K&N Cold Air System, MSD, Ported TB, Frost tune, Denso Iridium, Flowmaster cat-back, 3200 Yank, 75k

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    Yep. Out of my price range until the trailer park gets ahold of 'em.
    right there with you. As much appeal I think then SS has, I prefer the sup up CTS-V looks, rides and performs better for the same dollar.

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

I agree, CTS-V while we're spending our lottery winnings...556hp supercharged Cadillac - yes!!

'05 Harley - 21k m
    '98 Z28 black - 69k mi

and while we're on the topic, I've always disliked how GM will badge something as their own - just own up to your incompentetence GM - bring the Holden Commodore here and sell it as a Holden - can even advertise a true DIDGERIDOO exhaust with it. . . . While you're shipping us this Holden, bring some Vauxhall VXR8s too, but DO NOT rebadge as a Pontiac or Chevrolet...I guess my stupid way of thinking is why I won't be buying a Holden GTO SS - whatever

red
    95 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by 2002ssslp View Post
    45k. Are you kidding me ? After options and additional taxes you may be looking at almost 50k. Think about that.
    Not sure why people are shocked about this. It isn't much more than the GXP was, and you have to figure in the fact that the new car is almost loaded in "base" form, and then add in inflation and this price is right about where it should come in.

Quote Originally Posted by LimeNine View Post
    and while we're on the topic, I've always disliked how GM will badge something as their own - just own up to your incompentetence GM - bring the Holden Commodore here and sell it as a Holden - can even advertise a true DIDGERIDOO exhaust with it. . . . While you're shipping us this Holden, bring some Vauxhall VXR8s too, but DO NOT rebadge as a Pontiac or Chevrolet...I guess my stupid way of thinking is why I won't be buying a Holden GTO SS - whatever
    They brought the car over here and didn't change hardly a damn thing about it from the Holden version. People are going to complain about it one way or the other. Either they changed it too much or they didn't change it enough. It's pretty funny actually. Holden IS GM, so how is this anything to do with incompetence?

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

When did the SHO base price fall below 45?

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

45 to 50k is too much for a muscle car. Young people buy cars like this and how can they afford the payments. Look at it this way, 50k with taxes and options less 12k cash and trade. 38k loan for 6 year @ 5% equals 612.00 a month. add 150.00 a month for insurance (NJ) and 4 to 5 tanks of premium per month and you have to come up with over 1,000.00 (1,062.00) per month to own a vehicle that will be worth 22k in three or 4 years. I'll wait, and if they are any good I will pick one up in the secondary market. JMHO

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

BTW - No big SS badge on the front grille ?????

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

45 to 50k is too much for a muscle car. Young people buy cars like this and how can they afford the payments. Look at it this way, 50k with taxes and options less 12k cash and trade. 38k loan for 6 year @ 5% equals 612.00 a month. add 150.00 a month for insurance (NJ) and 4 to 5 tanks of premium per month and you have to come up with over 1,000.00 (1,062.00) per month to own a vehicle that will be worth 22k in three or 4 years. I'll wait, and if they are any good I will pick one up in the secondary market. JMHO
    First of all read the article, there are no options other than a 900 dollar sun roof and 500 dollar full size spare. The car comes optioned out for 45k. Second who pays 5% interest on a brand new car? .9%-1.9% is offered on most new vehicles and some can be had for 0%.

I do agree though that 45k is too much, mid to high 30s would have been more on par with a mid size chevy with a v8 up front IMO.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

With both options added, plus tax it will fall under $50 (not including any factory rebates, and based on sticker price not preferred price.) But that's a lot of coin. You can get a 1LE Camaro for under $40, and for another $5k, you're into ZL1 / Vette money. Granted none of them are sedans, and the only other sport sedan in GM's stable, is a $70k Caddy.

They are very comfortable, I sat in one back in February and was very impressed with it. Time will tell how these are going to sell. We aren't expecting any at the dealership for some time.

Silver & Blue
    02 Camaro SS, 04 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    First of all read the article, there are no options other than a 900 dollar sun roof and 500 dollar full size spare. The car comes optioned out for 45k. Second who pays 5% interest on a brand new car? .9%-1.9% is offered on most new vehicles and some can be had for 0%.

I do agree though that 45k is too much, mid to high 30s would have been more on par with a mid size chevy with a v8 up front IMO.
    John, they rarely give super low interest on long term loans but I'll play along. Let's say you get it with the sunroof thrown in at 45k now you add tax @ 3150.00 and I'll give you 1.9% for 6 years. Do the 12k down and you have a 530.00 nut every month. Add the insurance and gas and you are at 985.00 per month after taxes. that amounts to almost 16k of your yearly income for a car. How the heck can someone afford that nut with all the other living expenses young people have to face today. Old farts like me can handle that but it is still a lot of money.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Interest is all based on credit. GM will incentivize loan terms, but you usually have to give up a substantial rebate to get that rate. Right now Camaros and Corvettes are 1.9% up to 60, but you give up $2k to get that rate. The incentivized rate for Vettes for 72 months right now is 2.9%, but again, you give up $2k to get it.

Superior credit, 72 months, Ally will usually give something in the 2.4-2.9% range.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

John, they rarely give super low interest on long term loans but I'll play along. Let's say you get it with the sunroof thrown in at 45k now you add tax @ 3150.00 and I'll give you 1.9% for 6 years. Do the 12k down and you have a 530.00 nut every month. Add the insurance and gas and you are at 985.00 per month after taxes. that amounts to almost 16k of your yearly income for a car. How the heck can someone afford that nut with all the other living expenses young people have to face today. Old farts like me can handle that but it is still a lot of money.
    I agree it is expensive but cars in general aren't cheap. What else can be had with a v8 in a bigger 4 door car? Audis, mercs, BMW, srt-8 300. I think if GM were trying to make this a young persons car they would have given it more than two body lines aka made it a bit more flashy. Why do only young people buy cars like that? Wouldn't a young person be more temped to buy a two door like a camaro? Which is still 40k. IMO most young people do not buy new cars unless they are cheap eco-boxes.

As I said before I think GM could have done better than 44k for that car but the price really doesn't look that bad compared to the compeition.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 06-06-2013 at 08:55 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    I agree it is expensive but cars in general aren't cheap. What else can be had with a v8 in a bigger 4 door car? Audis, mercs, BMW, srt-8 300. I think if GM were trying to make this a young persons car they would have given it more than two body lines aka made it a bit more flashy. Why do only young people buy cars like that? Wouldn't a young person be more temped to buy a two door like a camaro? Which is still 40k. IMO most young people do not buy new cars unless they are cheap eco-boxes.

As I said before I think GM could have done better than 44k for that car but the price really doesn't look that bad compared to the compeition.
    This is exactly why I think it's over priced, inflation and all. GM for the last 20 yrs has been killing the low, affordable Muscle car market. It's the reason they killed the Camaro & Trans Am. Both were considered a "poor man's vette" and to some extent they are correct. It got the younger group hook on affordable muscle cars that when they transition into the Late 30's- Mid 40's they would transfer up to Vettes. It worked for many yrs till someone screwed it up by making Camaro SS/Z28's & Trans Ams priced up around $3800 in the late 90's I've never saw one new late 4th Gen go below $36,000 from a dealer lot ever. It was too high then, still is today.

I'll wait for them to hit the use lots so I'm not paying the Union Premium fee that comes with getting a car from a dealership.

red
    95 Z28

I still cant understand why people are the least bit surprised about the price. It's optioned out from the factory, and price competitive with its' competition. And the GXP was 40k base without as many options, several years ago. This isn't just GM fucking some market. This is GM pricing their cars to be competitive with their competition. Cars have gotten more expensive from ALL manufacturers. If you cant afford it, you cant afford it They're not expecting to sell a lot of them anyway.

Light Pewter Metallic
    y2k 8-cylinder catfish

Agreed. Cars in general are more expensive today than they were even just ten years ago. There's more in them today, like navigation, voice systems, improved safety, fuel and emissions systems and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by 5.0THIS View Post
    I still cant understand why people are the least bit surprised about the price. It's optioned out from the factory, and price competitive with its' competition. And the GXP was 40k base without as many options, several years ago. This isn't just GM fucking some market. This is GM pricing their cars to be competitive with their competition. Cars have gotten more expensive from ALL manufacturers. If you cant afford it, you cant afford it They're not expecting to sell a lot of them anyway.

Velocity Yellow
    2008 Corvette Z06

Quote Originally Posted by SiggyZ View Post
    Agreed. Cars in general are more expensive today than they were even just ten years ago. There's more in them today, like navigation, voice systems, improved safety, fuel and emissions systems and the like.
    **Union dues***

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    This is exactly why I think it's over priced, inflation and all. GM for the last 20 yrs has been killing the low, affordable Muscle car market. It's the reason they killed the Camaro & Trans Am. Both were considered a "poor man's vette" and to some extent they are correct. It got the younger group hook on affordable muscle cars that when they transition into the Late 30's- Mid 40's they would transfer up to Vettes. It worked for many yrs till someone screwed it up by making Camaro SS/Z28's & Trans Ams priced up around $3800 in the late 90's I've never saw one new late 4th Gen go below $36,000 from a dealer lot ever. It was too high then, still is today.

I'll wait for them to hit the use lots so I'm not paying the Union Premium fee that comes with getting a car from a dealership.
    My brand new '01 TA WS6 was $28,200. I'm not sure where your $36,000 dollar figure comes from. If some idiot paid an extra 8 grand for one just like it, that's their own problem/mistake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information