Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast
    2000 z28 m6

Are 2003 svt cobra good cars ?

Hi guys, Im thinking of getting a 2003 svt cobra, because a friend of mine has one for sale . He never drives the thing and he gave me good deal on it . Now I already own a 2000 ls1 camaro and a 95 skyline gtr . I`m thinking of selling the gtr and buying the cobra because i alway loved the look . Because the gtr i have is verry fast and is aways been reliable, and i dont want to sell a good car and get a car that alot of weak points .
    Thus anyone know the good and Weakpoints of the car? do they make good street strip cars?.

juxi

Silver 2002 WS.6
    Red 1989 Formula

I know they can make power quick. Just with exhaust, intake, pulley, and tune they can go into the 500's easy. I don't know much about weak points but I know its probably the only mustang I would consider owning next to the new 5.0's

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

They snap half shafts and coolant likes to pool by the number 7/8 cylinder during full boost that can damage the engine. Google will fill in all the blanks better then a Chevy forum

1997 Formula & 2003 cobra
    Quote Originally Posted by blackSS01 View Post
    They snap half shafts and coolant likes to pool by the number 7/8 cylinder during full boost that can damage the engine. Google will fill in all the blanks better then a Chevy forum
    the way you sound is they just do those no matter what.

I have owned an 03 cobra which made about 550hp at the crank and over 550 tq and I raced this thing daily. i went down to 1/4 mile over 400 times and i cant even count the amount of times i ran against someone in "mexico" and fun pulls. The car never had a single tick. I cut 1.6 60' with it with stock halfshafts.. I have consistently ran it to 140mph (top of 4th gear) and no issues.

half shafts WILL snap if your car starts wheel hopping and you dont let go of the gas.

the cylinder # 7 and 8 "may" start melting if you do back to back high speed runs. and high speed DOES NOT mean 140mph. I am talking about back to back 5th and 6th gear pulls, which is well over 140mph. As long as you cut off at the top of your 4th gear which is 140mph (point very well proven by then anyways), you will be just fine. That doesnt mean u cant go past 140mph. You can. Just dont do it back to back. Who the heck gover over 140mph back to back anyways?

03/04 terminators are best bang for the buck and best production mustang ever built in my opinion (until gt500 started to pop.. even then some still believe 03/04s are better).

you go buy a terminator, you will never regret. to this day, they own the streets and to this day, most gear heads' hearts start pounding when they see a terminator drive by. I went nuts for them back when i owned a trans am and i bought two.... I currently own a screaming yellow 04. My previous one ran 11.3@ 122 and trapped best of 123mph with intake, pulley, tune and exhaust. about 1250 spent total. My currently one with the same mods ran 11.4@121 on a slipping / weak clutch.

Good luck
    Last edited by Musclefan21; 09-04-2012 at 06:51 PM.

Black
    1998 Trans Am

Currently in the market for one also...03-04 Cobra, so badass. I wouldn't hesitate at buying it from your friend at all.

Ray Charles blue

Interiors to me are a deal breaker. Thats about it.

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by TLS_Addict View Post
    Interiors to me are a deal breaker. Thats about it.
    This. If only they made the interior nicer

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

My choice of new car was between the Termi or the C6 Z06 and obviously the Z is a far better car in every single aspect but the price shows it in every single aspect, wasn't making the Termi out as a bad car.....it's quite bad ass but I found a good chunk of people that had issues with what I posted. I googled quite a bit (Two weeks) OP wanted to know issues and those two things I posted can be issues, being blunt

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

They have good power plants and they can look good for a stang but that is about it for me. Interiors suck, suspension sucks, rear end setup sucks.

The powerplant is so good though that it does make up for many of its shortcomings and the fact that it is a mustang.

The GTR will be more rare but won't be able to make power as reliably and easily as the cobra. The stock long block on a cobra has handled 1000 hp many times but you need to get rid of the super charger and go turbo to make that much power on street gas.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-05-2012 at 05:58 AM.

i didnt know our interiors where good, maybe someone should "google" 4th fbody interiors and GM 7.5 rearends before they start all this stupid talk LOL.... no names LOL

and last time i checked GM does have a parts department lol

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird WS6 View Post
    i didnt know our interiors where good, maybe someone should "google" 4th fbody interiors and GM 7.5 rearends before they start all this stupid talk LOL.... no names LOL

and last time i checked GM does have a parts department lol
    Who said F-bodys had good interiors? I have said many many times they do not but the engine along with a few other items make them BA. My only point was the car itself isn't that impressive. It is only the engine that makes the cobra awesome. Which is why we are on LS1.com and not F-body.com... because we are ok with that
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-05-2012 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zinergy View Post
    Who said F-body had good interiors? My only point was the car itself isn't that impressive. It is only the engine that makes them awesome.
    i wasnt talking to you lol

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    This. If only they made the interior nicer
    I don't get it.

You are saying this interior:

is a deal breaker for you for THIS car:

and you have this interior?:

and this car?:

I love the camaro and trans ams and they way they look, but honestly man, a terminator just overall a much better car inside out. I can compare a WS6 look to a terminator though.

I have owned both and both a very plain interiors. Actually, the cobra has better quality materials if you ask me.

If you had a GTO and said a cobra interior is a deal braker, i would say that is understand able.
    Last edited by Musclefan21; 09-05-2012 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Musclefan21 View Post

I have owned both and both a very plain interiors. Actually, the cobra has better quality materials if you ask me.
    i too have always owned both and this is true by far

Arctic White, red/gray

I never owned a cobra but for a short while I did DD a 02 GT and I have to say I liked my 2000 T/As interior better. The materials werent really very good in either but I thought the T/As flowed better and didn't look quite as boring as the cobra. But neither were very good compared to my subie, the acura or the girls VW.

They have good power plants and they can look good for a stang but that is about it for me. Interiors suck, suspension sucks, rear end setup sucks.

The powerplant is so good though that it does make up for many of its shortcomings and the fact that it is a mustang.

The GTR will be more rare but won't be able to make power as reliably and easily as the cobra. The stock long block on a cobra has handled 1000 hp many times but you need to get rid of the super charger and go turbo to make that much power on street gas.
    suspension suck? tell me how. rear end set up suck? tell me how...

you said the look is good and the engine / trans is good. wtf else do you want lol?

Arctic White, red/gray

Quote Originally Posted by Musclefan21 View Post
    suspension suck? tell me how. rear end set up suck? tell me how...

you said the look is good and the engine / trans is good. wtf else do you want lol?
    More, which is why I haven't bought another F-body yet.

Please do not get butt hurt because someone criticized your car. The cobra feels like a pig in the corners. Not only that but it doesn't ride all that great either. The IRS was designed to fit a cookie cutter design, the chassis was already out. I know yours may have lasted through many runs but there have been plenty of people who have broken there shafts, and many of them more than once.

On another note the 7.5 from GM was a weak point as well, many people have ripped those things up while mine survived 400+whp and some hard launches many times. Not everyones experiences are the same.
    Last edited by Zinergy; 09-05-2012 at 01:48 PM.

More, which is why I haven't bought another F-body yet.

Please do not get butt hurt because someone criticized your car. The cobra feels like a pig in the corners. Not only that but it doesn't ride all that great either. The IRS was designed to fit a cookie cutter design, the chassis was already out. I know yours may have lasted through many runs but there have been plenty of people who have broken there shafts, and many of them more than once.

On another note the 7.5 from GM was a weak point as well, many people have ripped those things up while mine survived 400+whp and some hard launches many times. Not everyones experiences are the same.
    Not butt hurt at all. I am just stating facts and you are talking out of your ass.

I have roadraced in the past and I have driven many different cars, including trans am, 05+ GT, mach 1, slk 320, bmw m3, etc. and I am telling you a terminator turns great for what it is. I mean GREAT! This is a 3650 lbs car with 57% of its weight up front and still takes corners great. So, that statement of yours is easily disputable.

As I said before, you hop and you dont get off of the gas pedal = you snap a half shaft.

I can show you 9 second cobras on bone stock rear end. 1.4 60' on stock half shafts.

people have lifted both tires off the ground with stock rear end in a pig like cobra. It is a strong rear end. you just have to be smart about it.

going from a brand new 06 GT back in 06, to a used 03 cobra, i couldnt believe the difference in ride. cobra rode much smoother through pot holes and bumps. solid rear in the GT felt like it was gonna break into million pieces everytime i went over rail road tracks or nasty pot holes.

I am stating facts here from a personal experience. I am not being biased. an 03/4 cobra is a very well built, solid car. a know a guy who has been making 600+ rwhp and tq since 18k miles and it has well over 100k miles now. And this guy runs mid 10s and probably raced the car over 1000 times street and strip and his car never had its valve covers removed. And you can have this car for 20k today. You dont think it is the best bang for your buck overall in todays gear head market???

Black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Different people get different results. Some will break shit, some wont. Plain and simple.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

i like turtles...

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information