Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am

2000 CBR 929 - Is this a good deal?

Lately I've been looking into getting a motorcycle. I'm really not sure what is a good deal and whats not. This is a 2000 CBR 929. Its got 25,000 miles, some kind of after market exhuast, and a few other things. I plan on going to look at it pretty soon. Like I said, I don't know a lot about motorcycles, so is there anything I sould look for. (I know the last one I test drove had some kind of pinging noise when I got it to like 6000 rpms. Don't know if this is a common problem or anything.) Heres the ad. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/mcy/367807736.html Does this seem like a good deal for a 2000 or not?

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I don't know. 25,000 miles is on the high side. As long as it's mechanically sound, go for it. Honda's are pretty much bulletproof.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by nitrox28 View Post
    I don't know. 25,000 miles is on the high side. As long as it's mechanically sound, go for it. Honda's are pretty much bulletproof.
    You don't happen to have a ballpark estimate what liability insurance might cost for a 17 year old would you? I've tried plugging it in on all the insurance websites and none of them will give the liabilty-only price on a motorcycle.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Rhinohuey View Post
    You don't happen to have a ballpark estimate what liability insurance might cost for a 17 year old would you? I've tried plugging it in on all the insurance websites and none of them will give the liabilty-only price on a motorcycle.
    Or maybe not necessarily for a 17 year old, but for anyone. Generally speaking, about what does insurance cost for liability-only on a motorcycle?

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

liability only on a bike is typically pretty cheap based on the idea that you and the sportbike combined typically weigh less than 600-700 pounds. if/when you hit someone, you're not going to do that much damage. you may be shredded and your bike will be toast, but the honda/mercedes/chevy/etc. that you hit won't be too bad off.

liability only on my sv1000s is about $25/month. it was even cheaper when i was in the LA area on a smaller bike.

$3700 isn't too bad of a price if he's got detailed maintenance records and whatnot. if the valve lash inspections/adjustments have been done on a regular basis and the bike wasn't abused, 25k miles is not that many. honda makes good motors. be wary of the "cosmetic damage". if it's really only skin deep say from just a tip over while parked, no biggie. but if it was a bigger spill and he did the bare minimum of cover up to make it look like a litle spill, then they may be more problems deeper down. the CBR900 frame is famous for taking a beating and staying true, at least from the articles i've read on how to buy a junkyard/salvage bike and fix'er up.

i hate to sound like a boring, old guy, but a 929 is a loooooot of bike for a first rider. i'd find a cbr600f4i built round the same time for a first bike. cheaper.

as far as the pinging noise, they're gonna make a lot more valve noise than you're used to hearing from a car. if the valves are absolutely quiet, that's when you're in real trouble as the tappets are too tight.

1997 Grand Cherokee
    1999 Firebird.

I paid $80 a year for liability on my VT1100 Shadow. But I'm 34 and married.

Paid 2 Post Daycrew SexOnWheels's Avatar

Blood Red
    Z28

Even though it looks to be in decent shape 25k is too many miles not to mentioned it has been dropped (at least) keep looking.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    i hate to sound like a boring, old guy, but a 929 is a loooooot of bike for a first rider. i'd find a cbr600f4i built round the same time for a first bike. cheaper.
    +1 on too much bike for a first time rider
    look for a 03 sv650 (has FI) that has much friendlier powerband, you will not be dissappointed and become a better rider
    JMO

Blackety Black
    35th Anniversary SS

I would buy it. If i had $2k

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Dont do it .. as soon as you get it you will want to get rid of it .. $3k isnt bad .... but 25k miles is wayyy up there ... Keep looking

whenwillthislifegetbetter slim420832002's Avatar

black and gray
    1999 Lexus ES300

not to sound like a dick or burst anyone's bubble but ur 17. my brother was 21 killed himself on his 2006 yamaha R6. be careful respect the power and the bike cuz ppl kill themselves on them all the time. personally i hate fukin crotch rockets. i like harleys. but thats my opinion just puttin my 2cents in dont have to take the advice or listen to anything i have to say.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by pecha View Post
    look for a 03 sv650 (has FI) that has much friendlier powerband, you will not be dissappointed and become a better rider
    JMO
    I rode a 600 for almost a year when I had my permit. It was a friends though and he ended up moving across the country, so now I have to buy my own. I was just thinking that if I don't buy a "big" bike, that in a few months I'll realize it, and I'll have to buy a big one regardless of whether I've already bought a small one.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

If you get that good that fast you're the next Valentino Rossi and are spending way too much time at the track.

IMO, you won't outgrow a 600 that fast. Lots of people use that exact argument to get themselves into trouble.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

if it's making noise at 6k rpm it's probably starting to float valves and needs a full head job...especially at 25,000 miles.

my advice would be to ask the guy if you can take it to a reputable dealership and have them look it over for you to see if they can tell what could be wrong with it.

i dunno...$2,000 for a 2000 model year bike with 25,000 miles...i could easily find a dozen other bikes for maybe a grand more with a lot fewer miles on them that would be in just as good of shape if not a lil better.

personally i'd pass on it...but if it's what you want then ask the guy if you can have it looked at. if he says no then just walk away. trust me you won't want to touch it at that point.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by pecha View Post
    JMO
    i started out on a brand new 2002 sv650 and rode that for a year and a half. learned the basics and then some. after that i upgraded to a 2003 sv1000s and love it.

but for a first time bike the sv650 is definitely the way to go in my personal opinion.

Burple
    1966 427 Cobra Replica

YAY, SV1000S!!!

That's my ride too.

Copper or silver...?

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 1MileCrash View Post
    if it's making noise at 6k rpm it's probably starting to float valves and needs a full head job...especially at 25,000 miles.

my advice would be to ask the guy if you can take it to a reputable dealership and have them look it over for you to see if they can tell what could be wrong with it.

i dunno...$2,000 for a 2000 model year bike with 25,000 miles...i could easily find a dozen other bikes for maybe a grand more with a lot fewer miles on them that would be in just as good of shape if not a lil better.

personally i'd pass on it...but if it's what you want then ask the guy if you can have it looked at. if he says no then just walk away. trust me you won't want to touch it at that point.
    Sorry, I think my last sentance might not make much sense. The bike is a year 2000, but it costs $3,700. But with what you said, I take it $3700 is not a very good deal on this bike.

Black
    1999 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Tobynine9 View Post
    If you get that good that fast you're the next Valentino Rossi and are spending way too much time at the track.

IMO, you won't outgrow a 600 that fast. Lots of people use that exact argument to get themselves into trouble.
    I'm not talking about outgrowing it....I'm talking mentally. I have some kind of disorder I think. I mean I'll realize that I have a small bike, and I won't be able to live with it...so I'll have to eventually buy a "big" bike anyways. Haha, I know...I'm screwed up.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Come buy my Vette and get BJ's from your honey bunch while driving. ( Hows that for a selling point guys?!)
    This is my signature. It is mine. Nobody else has one like it.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

I'd wager to say even a 600 (inline 4 sportbike) is jus way more then what any beginner should be on. The current 600s are capable of world class speed. People are desensitized to this in a day of R1's, gixxer 1000s, kawies etc. The truth of the matter is young guys want these screaming sportbikes because they are thinking about how much pussy they can pull with it. thats the heart of it. Most riders including even some intermediate riders probably couldn't ride a sv650 to the absolute limit. I'm talking about riding the thing till the rider can't get anything out of it and is outriding the bike itself. But watever, people buy what they want. I'm jus sick of being cut off by these jackoffs on sportbikes that insist on weaving in and out of traffic and constantly opening the thing up when the road isn't empty.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information