Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

2 stroke guru's please enter

I recently acquired a yamaha banshee, and it has a freshly rebuilt motor, and has a set of the delta force 2 reeds in the top end.. i recently got it running, but will only run on the right cylinder. so i took the carbs then reeds out, and notice the right cylinder reeds are sealing perfectly with no gaps, or visible light through them. i inspected the left cylinder and saw some gaps, so i tried flipping the petals which made it worse. they have a indentation like someone put their finger through them too hard. so i went out and purchased a set of brand new replacement petals. put everyrthing back together and kicked it over, it ran on both cylinders for about 10 seconds, then the left cylinder went dead again, and the right cylinder chugged away flawlessly. so i took the reeds out, and noticed on the left cylinder the same indentation, and gaps as before, like someone put their finger through them. Im writing this in hopes of any ideas or maybe possibilities as to why the reeds keep breaking this way. as im out of ideas on this

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

what is the condition of the reed block itself

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

reed block itself is still in nice shape, not all knicked up or gouged

White
    1999 Transam WS6

Iroc is a 3 stroke man or so I've heard from nhra...

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by Aetos View Post
    Iroc is a 3 stroke man or so I've heard from nhra...
    say what?

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

odd, take the reeds back out and turn the motah over slowly and inspect the condition of the piston/rings/ and ring lands. maybe something in that particular cylinder?

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

is it a stock 350 or something like a cub motah? did you put the reeds in yourself or did it come with them?

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

the 4 wheeler came with them when i bought it...i didnt inspect the reeds until i found it running on the right cylinder only. i took the jugs off today and the pistons are brand new, no debris in the skirt area or the ring grooves. but when i took the pipe off to get into the top end i poured maybe a 1/4 of a quart of oil/fuel out of the left pipe. and when i check plugs the left one is dripping wet where as the right plug is moist which should be normal.

and it is bored .20 over. and from what i can tell im the first one to get it running just due to the fact that the pistons are still shiny and dont have a dull appearance like a well used motor would have

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

It may sound stupid, but what kind of spark are you getting out of that dead cylinder? it does fire right? What is the condition of the air boot for the dead cylinders carb? any leak at all and you'll have problems. Are both reed blocks the same model? People fuck that up sometimes lol Did you check the compression on the dead cylinder? On a 2 stroke 2 cylidner a blown headgasket will create a dead dragging cylinder and the engine will run but obviously have no power at all. This is very weird as you say that the engine is rebuilt. Did the builder not actually run the fucking thing before he gave the bike back? lol

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

One tip to any banshee owner that I learned from one of my friends who had one............. Ditched the dual carb set up for a single. I'm not sure what company makes it but you can by a lil manifold that looks like a Y that feeds off of one large carburetor and the engine runs amazing with it, and you dont deal with the fucking aggravation of timing both carbs and dealing with 2 carbs in general. Sooo worth it.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

see i got the bike in a weird situation. the previous owner got it from a guy who put a 03 motor/plastics in a 92 frame. the guy bored the cylinders so the guy i got it from put .20 over wiseco pistons in it, and claimed it needed a new wiring harness for the newer motor. he showed me the wires he was attempting to plug together, which he was taking the wires from the stator and plugging them into the killswitch wiring plug as it didnt have the killswitch on it at the time i purchased it, i got it home took the seat off and found the wiring that the stator plugged into and then kicked it over a few times and found out she indeed have spark. then i purchased a killswitch for it before i even attempted to start it. so i got the killswitch plugged in, and have no loose wire or ends anywhere, and then began my attemp to start it. have strong spark on both wires. got it to run on the right cylinder. when it dies due to the fuel bowl going empty i switched the spark plug wires. primed the cylinders again and kicked it, and it would run the exact same way as before. i once again checked spark and it is a very strong blue/white spark, and is a very loud snap/click with each arc...

air boot on both cylinders is fresh, plyable and crack free. yes both reed cages/setups are the same. i was going to just simply switch reed blocks the one that is leak free, i was going to attempt to put in left cylinder then put the one from the left in the right, but i talked to a guy i know and he said it could be debris from mottom end that could be coming up and breaking the reeds...so i took motor out and jugs off but there is no debris to be found anywhere. and it looks clean in the bottom end, and the oil is still a gold color and not silver like it would if carnage took place.

no i havent checked compression as i dont have a tester. i was going to do this also, but never got around to getting the compression tester yet.

headgasket is a thin metal one, and is not bent,kinked,dented, or dinged in anyway that would cause a leak from the h.g

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

the cracking/breaking is only happening on the outside petals, and not the inside ones, as they are still flush and seal great

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

wow really strange indeed. everything in the carb clean? airbox? does it have a good filter??

that is really weird how that is happening only on the left side

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

for time being im runnin it with the filters off..i got rid of the air box and run cone type filters on it, but like i said their off while i piss around with it....yes i checked and cleaned both carbs before i tried starting it....also im only filling the fuel bowl in the carbs with a primer bottle, and put some fuel in the cylinders to start it currently. and itll run the gas out of the right cylinder meaning its actually sucking the fuel and running obviously...but then when it dies i check plugs. the right one is normal, and the left one is literally dripping wet. and the left cylinders carb bow is still full of gas...so something is fishy there

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Z28

with you saying that you get fire on left and that it wont run but plug is wet and yet the bowl is still full makes me think that somehow the ignition timing could be off on the left side. idk how tho.... you need to just get a honda lol they will run just fine on the moon

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

ive tried swapping spark plug wires on it an it does the same thing. it will only pop off if i dump a wee bit of gas in the cylinder, itll burn it out then go dead

sunset orange
    2002 Camaro Z28

hmmm i have never heard of switchin to a single carb, i have some buds puttin down 90+whp on a stroked 427 with two carbs. i dont know much about banshees but i would clean the carb make sure everything is spik and span then get new spark plugs new rubbers for the the carb and reeds and new filter and see what happens.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

these reeds are a 200 dollar set. and replacement petals or 59 bucks...so i really dont feel like throwing 60 bucks away for 10 seconds of run time on both cylinders

Bright Red
    1999 Trans Am Ws6

I had boysen reeds on mine, made huge difference.

The fact the carb is still full of gas is puzzling to me. As even IF you had a dead spark plug it would still suck all the gas in. Sounds to me like rings are shot.

Red
    99 Chevrolet Camaro Z-28

it has a brand new fresh 20 over top end...i pulled the jugs off yesterday and there is no crud at all in the ring valleys. but i cant verify compresion with out a compression tester....the only thing im hoping for is maybe the rigs were not locked into the groove because of the fact that 2 strok pistons have a little tip that alligns the rings in a way that the ring openings arent lined up to lose compression. and spark plugs are brand new out of the package too

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information