Thread: 1996 Suburban

Sold: LS1 '85 El Camino ls1camino's Avatar

2000 Grand Prix GTP
    2000 Trans Am WS6 M6

1996 Suburban

I need you all's opinions on what I should do about my truck.

My parents bought the truck back in 2000 with 30k miles on it. Since we have a big family (4 kids, my parents and my mother's service dog), we've put it to good use. When I started driving in 2003, my dad bought another car and "gave" me the Suburban. It now has 204k on the clock and it's had everything in the drivetrain replaced (Engine, Trans, Transfer Case, and Rear End). I want to keep it to have it for hauling stuff (camping), trailering Nymphadora to and from the track, and driving in the snow and keeping my GTP at home. The problem is that it's plagued by it's age/mileage. At the moment, it has what I think is a bad ground...it drains batteries in about 15 minutes). It also needs the entire suspension redone (shocks, ball joints, etc.). The interior could use a good cleaning as well. God only knows what else it needs. Not to mention it has been totaled twice by my insurance company. The sentimental value of this truck to me is unmeasurable...I would hate to see it gone forever, and I will regret it for the rest of my life if I let it go.

I would love to turn it into an all out drag truck...gutted interior, huge motor/blower, 700R Trans...the works. The thing that is holding me back on this is that every dollar I put into the truck is a dollar I'm not putting into Nymphadora. Two race vehicles is not practical either.

Second option is restoring it to running condition. The engine would need some TLC...major tuneup, including replacing all of the sensors, alternator, plugs, and wires. While I'm in the engine bay, I would probably do some performance upgrades, like headers, exhaust and a CAI. I also have to replace all of the seats or at least get them re-upholstered, as the leather is destroyed by years of little kids and dogs crawling all over them.

What should I do? I have the money to restore it, but how many more years do you think I'll get out of it? I don't plan on driving it everyday, but I will drive it at least once a week to keep the bearings well oiled.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I wouldn't mess around with headers on a sbc for a daily driver. Yeah you can get good bolts and gaskets, but it's just an annoyance to me. I should have stuck with manifolds

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

How bad is the truck with body rot???
    Is the rockers, floors etc good?

If so I would put the money into it. Figure if the motor is strong along with the rest of the drive train buy a painless wiring harness and go to town.

Those trucks are a dime a dozen and finding parts for them is easy as hell.

NBM
    2002 z28 camaro

I know I just stopped with the harness but that will put you in the right direction to getting it on the road again. If you are patient about acquiring the parts you need it can be done fairly cheap.

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Yeah man, even though the drag project sounds cool, I wouldn't do it, it's always helpful to have a truck around that you can put to use.

Even though the truck seems to have it's share of issues, I would still just try my luck with the second option and see what happens. Just restore it back to nice condition and just do an exhaust and tune. And if it's a 4x4, I would throw in some different wheels for it, beefier tires and a slight lift. Then just be done with it and see how long it lasts from there.
    Last edited by Transamws6; 08-03-2010 at 09:32 AM.

cummins engine, solid axle conversion and 52" michelins

Thread Information