Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: 1980 Trans Am

2011 Prius

1980 Trans Am

I found one down the road, I like the body style. Does not have the original motor, it has a 403 big block. Auto trans/shift kit,hood shaker ,t tops born with A/C but does not work, runs and drives great. If he replies back well, I will go and look at it real well. How would this be for a daily driver? I drive less then 10 miles a day, 5 days a week. Sometimes, I drive to a car show on the weekend. But I am just thinking a rolling project car.

But none the less, I seen this car at the guys house for a few years. Seen his wife drive it around on the weekends. I seen it on craigs list for sometime for $8,500. I finally sent him an e-mail, mostly as a joke offering $4,000. Now I think if he accepts it, I may go and get it. What do you guys think?

I will also post other cars I am interested in over time, instead of opening new threads.

But here's a pic.

Waiting on more pics.

white
    1997 dodge dakota

like it long time

White
    97 3.8L Firebird 5 Speed

Older cars usually don't make very good DDs,unless you have a good mechanic then go for it

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Conflict View Post
    Older cars usually don't make very good DDs,unless you have a good mechanic then go for it
    That's what worries me, he replied earlier today, saying he will think it over with his wife. Apparently the 403 from a bit of research is a small block, with a big block bore? I know nothing about big blocks...

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by SHines-IT View Post
    That's what worries me, he replied earlier today, saying he will think it over with his wife. Apparently the 403 from a bit of research is a small block, with a big block bore? I know nothing about big blocks...
    If it is in fact a 403 as original from when it was built, it's an Oldsmobile engine that was very popular in the late 70's Trans Ams. I've always been under the impression that a 403 Olds is a big block.

White
    '10 ZR1

More info for you:

http://www.angelfire.com/fl4/pontiac...ds403infl.html

It is a big block btw.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    If it is in fact a 403 as original from when it was built, it's an Oldsmobile engine that was very popular in the late 70's Trans Ams. I've always been under the impression that a 403 Olds is a big block.
    I don't think the 80's - 81 F-Body's has a big block due to emisions... Probably why it was changed out, due to the really small motor. From what I read, 301, 301 Turbo, 305? IDK, I just read a few sites...

I always though and still under the impression that the 403 is a big block, few sites say other.

Also, my stepdad is a mechanic, I can do allot of basic maintenance. I am just unsure for it as a daily, I really want it though, always loved the car and love how older cars drive.

Old Enough to Know Better Crimson Sin's Avatar

Red Fire
    2007 Mustang GT/CS

I'd own that for 4 grand..Nothing on that car that time, love and money can't fix.
    Personally, I'd LOVE to own and older big block, t-top car..stuff a brunette in the passenger seat and call her Frog..

White
    '10 ZR1

I don't think the 80's - 81 F-Body's has a big block due to emisions... Probably why it was changed out, due to the really small motor. From what I read, 301, 301 Turbo, 305? IDK, I just read a few sites...

I always though and still under the impression that the 403 is a big block, few sites say other.

Also, my stepdad is a mechanic, I can do allot of basic maintenance. I am just unsure for it as a daily, I really want it though, always loved the car and love how older cars drive.
    Go through and read the link I posted - 1979 was the last year they put 403's in Trans Ams. It is a big block.........and you're right, the 301's were junk - always have been, always will be.

If you really love it - you'll learn how to work on it. Great experience, go get it!

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

I'd like to see more pics to give ya a better opinion on the price. . .but I will give you this for a comparison. . . My 80 trans am is bone stock, pontiac 301, great original interior with a few flaws, had a dent in the front fender and slight rust on the bottom of the passenger side quarter, paint and decals are descent, and we paid $3100 for it in 2004. My 80 formula needed everything done, and I paid $100 for it haha.
    I daily drove the trans am off and on few years ago, and it was great. Rode smooth, got about 20 mpg, comfortable interior, and not to mention the attention and comments these all cars get .

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Go through and read the link I posted - 1979 was the last year they put 403's in Trans Ams. It is a big block.........and you're right, the 301's were junk - always have been, always will be.

If you really love it - you'll learn how to work on it. Great experience, go get it!
    I think I may, I like the car and 2nd gens are my favorite T/A. I hope his wife says yes. I am not expecting it to be as fast or as good of a performer as my previous 98 T/A... But the appeal and heritage makes it up for me.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    I'd like to see more pics to give ya a better opinion on the price. . .but I will give you this for a comparison. . . My 80 trans am is bone stock, pontiac 301, great original interior with a few flaws, had a dent in the front fender and slight rust on the bottom of the passenger side quarter, paint and decals are descent, and we paid $3100 for it in 2004. My 80 formula needed everything done, and I paid $100 for it haha.
    I daily drove the trans am off and on few years ago, and it was great. Rode smooth, got about 20 mpg, comfortable interior, and not to mention the attention and comments these all cars get .
    Shit, people think these cars are valuable as gold now... At least in FL... If I get this car, ummmm... Well I know the perfect salvage yard for parts. My step dad parents has a yard full of 2nd gens.

00 TA PWTR, 98 VertTA NBM
    80 TA BLK, 80 Formula NBM

Shit, people think these cars are valuable as gold now... At least in FL... If I get this car, ummmm... Well I know the perfect salvage yard for parts. My step dad parents has a yard full of 2nd gens.
    yes parts are very readily available used and new. . . .if you do get it, NPD and the Paddock are must have catalogs. and fyi i started building my 80 formula when i was your age!

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by GULLETT17 View Post
    yes parts are very readily available used and new. . . .if you do get it, NPD and the Paddock are must have catalogs. and fyi i started building my 80 formula when i was your age!
    How much mechanical ability did you have at my age? I never really had one one to teach me, I watch car programs, then grabbed my stepdads tools and went at it... Some of them came out pretty well, some did not... My stepdad is getting more willing to teach me, as he sees me trying to learn and attempting it.

But can I see pics of your birds?

Impounded
    gmcheviac

You should infact expect it to be slow btw. Same numbers stock with a 403 as my 350. 175/310 stock, my torque peak at 2400, the olds should be slightly lower. Except that I have 3.73's and a lighter vehicle. Later 2nd gen t/a's handle good though. Oh and keeping them running is simple as far as mechanical ability. It's the body work and rusty parts that suck. I'm gonna have fun taking my exhaust manifold studs out in a few weeks or so
    Last edited by wheeliE-maxx; 10-12-2009 at 12:43 PM.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by wheeliE-maxx View Post
    You should infact expect it to be slow btw. Same numbers stock with a 403 as my 350. 175/310 stock, my torque peak at 2400, the olds should be slightly lower. Except that I have 3.73's and a lighter vehicle. Later 2nd gen t/a's handle good though.
    Really, will it handle better then the 98?

white
    1997 dodge dakota

1980 ta's have the ls6 suspension package also rare 4 wheel models

NBM
    '00 A4 SS

Really, will it handle better then the 98?
    No way.

2011 Prius

Quote Originally Posted by Mike97dakota View Post
    1980 ta's have the ls6 suspension package also rare 4 wheel models
    You mean WS6? Ummm, I think they all have 4 wheels?

sold: 1999 firebird
    1998 Trans Am

man this girl i used to like back home is thinking about getting a 77/78 (showed pics couldnt tell which it was) i'm sure you can figure why i liked her, haha also she faguely resembles a 17yo frog which is all the better

ps wanna get psyched before you buy it? [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROde12JR8Rg[/ame]
    Last edited by justinmc978; 10-12-2009 at 01:03 PM.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information