Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

1969 Firebird Value?

I am looking for a fun muscle car and not looking to spend a fortune.

Saw this car yesterday and it seemed reasonable. What do you think?

I don't know the details yet, but what I do know:

69 Firebird Coupe
    Rebuilt 350 (I think it is the typical intake,cam and carb upgrades, nothing big)
    Turbo 400
    New Interior
    Paint looks about 5 years old? Custom w/flames
    Stock wheels and tires
    No rust (so the sign says), straight body
    Looks like a very nice driver, but I wouldn't call it a show/trailer car.

Asking 9500, A buddy who saw it and talked to him says he'll take 8500.

Is this worth it, and what are your thoughts?

I'd like a 69 Camaro, but they are about twice as much.

Thanks for any input! I'm kinda excited!

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by 56car View Post
    I am looking for a fun muscle car and not looking to spend a fortune.

Saw this car yesterday and it seemed reasonable. What do you think?

I don't know the details yet, but what I do know:

69 Firebird Coupe
    Rebuilt 350 (I think it is the typical intake,cam and carb upgrades, nothing big)
    Turbo 400
    New Interior
    Paint looks about 5 years old? Custom w/flames
    Stock wheels and tires
    No rust (so the sign says), straight body
    Looks like a very nice driver, but I wouldn't call it a show/trailer car.

Asking 9500, A buddy who saw it and talked to him says he'll take 8500.

Is this worth it, and what are your thoughts?

I'd like a 69 Camaro, but they are about twice as much.

Thanks for any input! I'm kinda excited!
    I don't think that's out of the ballpark..........work him on the price. If you can't get it for $8500, pretend like you just aren't interested, and walk.....if they're serious about selling it, that usually works. Good luck!

1970 Fbody

First thing is to look at the frame, floor pans and trunk. Make sure they are in good shape and not full of rust. If they are in bad shape then you are looking at an expensive frame off restoration and if you are going to do that there are plenty of cars in bad shape that you can get for almost nothing and start from there. If they are in good shape, check the body out and if you see no signs of cracks in the paint then run a magnet over the car and see if there is bondo anywhere. You can use the magnet business cards if you want which work great. If that is oK then check the dipstick, look at the motor, listen carefully for knocking or any other signs. If all these pass then I would make an offer about 1-2k under what they want and then work back up.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i'm gonna steal the thread for a second: if i were to get a bank loan on a restored classic, how would they know how to value it? it's not like those are in the KBB ya know?

1970 Fbody

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    i'm gonna steal the thread for a second: if i were to get a bank loan on a restored classic, how would they know how to value it? it's not like those are in the KBB ya know?
    One way, depending on your credit is to get a personal loan for whatever amount. If you are doing a car loan then the bank will probably either want to see it or see pictures of it to determine the amount.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

thanks. makes sense.

want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

Thanks for the help so far guys! I have done some body and frame work, so I know about the time involved. I haven't done the full inspection on this car, just a quick once over.

Also,

Actually KBB does have some classic car pricing. It doesn't take everything into consideration though and seems unaccurate because of lack of detail.

1978 Corvette

Once you get the car buy a 455 shortblock. New rebuilt or used. Everything from the 350 will work, cam, heads, distributor, water pump. The only thing you may need is motor mounts.

Dude, You will have over 500 Ft Lbs or torque at 3000 RPM. Can you say

Torque Monster!

A 4.21 inch stroke

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

that is actually a damn good price, Always try and get the price down, but even if it has MINOR rust it's still a good price. Check around the rear-window especially if it had/has a vinyll top.
    2006 impulse blue G.T.O
    Iron Block 408
    Cam
    Pacesetter ceramic coated L.T.s
    LMII exhaust
    K&N CAI
    Ported TB
    Custom Tune
    FAST 90
    ZEX 125hp wet shot

want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

that is actually a damn good price, Always try and get the price down, but even if it has MINOR rust it's still a good price. Check around the rear-window especially if it had/has a vinyll top.
    Good to know, but it doesn't have the vinyl top.
    Thanks

Is it worth more with or without the vinyl top? I need bargaining tools

White
    '10 ZR1

Good to know, but it doesn't have the vinyl top.
    Thanks

Is it worth more with or without the vinyl top? I need bargaining tools
    Vinyl top or not, first gen F-bodys like to rust around the trim ring on the back window. Look for paint bubbling at the bottom side near the trim. I'm not sure about value with/without the vinyl top, but a car without a vinyl top is more desirable to me....but not necessarily the "collector". The big thing is, what are you buying the car for? Are you going to put a big inch engine in it? Race it? Put it back to 100% stock and have a cruiser? Or? That could help you answer a lot of your own questions!

So yeah, go get yourself a first gen dude!

want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

Just a fun cruiser for my wife and I to take out on the weekends and summer nights. I am not looking to dump a load of money into a strip car because I don't have enough time to go to the strip, also I'm not big into all original (kinda boring).

I just want to feel some power now and again to get it out of my system.

I drive a 4cyl Toyota PU and I'm tired of always being economical and boring.

1996 Viper GTS

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    NADA can give a value if you pay for it! If I were to loan for it, I'd use NADA, and check out what most are selling for, on average and look at the car and condition, and go from there. Very easy.

Impulse Blue
    2006 Pontiac G.T.O.

also check the trunk and floor board for rust, as stated above with or without the vinyll top they like to rust there.And the pontiac 350 is a good engine if you don't want to get real crazy on power, and it is attainable to to get 400 hp. and stock they have quite abit of torque, so you'll do ok. post some pics

want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

I don't know whats going to happen. I had to help a buddy tonight, and I'm leaving mid-day tommorow to go fishing. I can't see it till Sunday night now. I called him and am getting the impression that there is no rust. I'll have to wait and see though.

I'll post pics sometime, but it isn't advertised online or anything so It won't be untill about Monday.

Wish me luck. I hope it don't sell!

2010 Camaro rs/ss

Quote Originally Posted by nosfed View Post
    First thing is to look at the frame, floor pans and trunk. Make sure they are in good shape and not full of rust. If they are in bad shape then you are looking at an expensive frame off restoration and if you are going to do that there are plenty of cars in bad shape that you can get for almost nothing and start from there. If they are in good shape, check the body out and if you see no signs of cracks in the paint then run a magnet over the car and see if there is bondo anywhere. You can use the magnet business cards if you want which work great. If that is oK then check the dipstick, look at the motor, listen carefully for knocking or any other signs. If all these pass then I would make an offer about 1-2k under what they want and then work back up.
    Nos makes some good points, however he left of one important point.

Those old firebirds suck a dick for resale. (those cars were never popular and still aren't)

You would be better off paying twice as much for the 69 camaro.

And it's going to have to be on damn nice fireturd for it to be worth 6500 let alone 8500

If you really want one, my friend has one with a 454 in it. Body is solid, but needs interior and paint 1500 bucks. engine trans and 12 bolt are solid.

pm me

2010 Camaro rs/ss

I don't know whats going to happen. I had to help a buddy tonight, and I'm leaving mid-day tommorow to go fishing. I can't see it till Sunday night now. I called him and am getting the impression that there is no rust. I'll have to wait and see though.

I'll post pics sometime, but it isn't advertised online or anything so It won't be untill about Monday.

Wish me luck. I hope it don't sell!
    You don't need luck, it won't sell.

want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

Checked this car out Monday night, and yeah it won't sell. I didn't see (it was probably covered in bondo) rust, but the body and paint is far worse than the first car I did at 16. Interior is OK, Trunk is not finished, and the car lacks the balls it should have. The T400 tranny won't downshift unless you almost stop, and I couldn't even hear much over the squeal of the fan belt.

It was a dissapointment, as I am trying to talk my wife into a muscle car. (for me) She was not impressed. I don't blame her.

I didn't even make him an offer, even at $8500 which is what he told a friend, it is a ripoff.

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

want a muscle car now
    1956 Hardtop (in pieces)

My background is set to a car that looks almost identical. Great looking car!

What do you value that car at?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information