Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

Exclamation 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air - Dare To Be Difficult

1957 Chevrolet Bel Air - Dare To Be Difficult
    Big trouble starts with small things. In Die Hard, it's just New York cop John McClane deciding to visit his estranged wife and family in Los Angeles over Christmas. In Romeo and Juliet, it's an ancient grudge between the Montagues and Capulets so trivial Shakespeare doesn't even tell us what it is. And for Jeff Mann, trouble started when he bought his '57 Chevy-or when he decided it would be cool to own a Hemi. Well, if it wasn't trouble when he decided to buy the engine or when he bought the car, it surely came the moment he decided to combine the two.
    Today, Jeff is a successful motion-picture production designer; he's the guy who conjured up the secret underground command center in which Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines concluded, decided exactly what expensive stuff Mr. & Mrs. Smith would have in their home to destroy, and put together the team that built the Eleanor Mustangs in 2000's Gone in Sixty Seconds. But back in 1984, he was 19 and working as a mechanic on offshore boats in his native San Diego. And every day on his way to work, he drove past an oxidized blue '57 Bel Air coupe. There wasn't a "For Sale" sign in its window, it was very rough, and he didn't have a garage to put it in. But he found the owner, turned on the adolescent charm, took out a $2,400 loan at 26 percent interest, and bought it. "I was deluded," he recalls. "It was a pant load. The guy I bought it from had found it buried in an Oklahoma oil field."
    So, shamelessly exploiting a relative's goodwill, he stored the '57 at a cousin's house in Point Loma, California, while more and more of his time and all his mechanical skills were put to work helping friends produce music videos until eventually he stopped wrenching on boats and began working in show business full time. And big-time show biz is in Los Angeles. So he moved. His career expanded while the old Chevy hibernated under an ever-growing mountain of Danchuk restoration parts ready for someday installation.
    Jeff had just finished his first movie as art director (1993's Kalifornia, starring a then nearly unknown Brad Pitt) when he finally turned his attention to the '57. He even built a 327 small-block Chevy for the car. But, he says, "Even as I was building that engine, I was already bored by the idea of another '57 with a small-block in it. You know, bored like the rest of the western civilization."
    One way to fight boredom in Southern California is to read The Recycler, where legions advertise their junk hoping to find buyers who'll consider it treasure. "I saw an ad in there that said "'58 Chrysler New Yorker, $500, runs good,''and suddenly I thought I really needed to own a Hemi," Jeff recalls. "I didn't think about putting it in the '57, I just thought it would be neat to own an early Hemi. So I called this guy and went to see the car. He lived in one of those parts of L.A. that seem like they're South Dakota or something: totally rural, totally derelict, and still totally in the middle of L.A. I bought the car, drove my truck up to his house, pulled the engine and trans out right there, and then sat on the New Yorker's fender for three hours waiting for Memory Lane (a SoCal wrecking yard) to come pick up the hulk. I took the Hemi home, took it apart, and then it sat for a couple of years."
    Almost simultaneously, Jeff was working on The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles around the rural Southern California town of Piru, where he met and began talking with Ellery Engel, of Ellery Engel Restoration Specialties, well known for quality restoration work, despite its obscure location. Jeff eventually decided to ship the '57 up to Engel, where he began separating the body from the frame and then replacing the entire floorpan, both rear quarters, and both rockers with fresh metal. "There's no mud on the car at all," Jeff claims.
    The chassis, though, was shipped to Tony Tierno at Tierno's General Fabrication in Los Angeles, where the question of what exactly was going to power Jeff's '57 came to a head. "I was thinking of a 409 with Hilborn injection" Jeff says, before combining the 392 Hemi already in his possession with the old Chevy came to mind. From there, it was a matter of construction. "It turns out, the Hemi is the same length as a small-block Chevy, so that was no problem," Jeff explains. "But it wouldn't clear the steering box. So eventually, we swapped the entire stock front suspension for one from Jim Meyer Racing that uses custom A-arms, rear-steer Camaro spindles, coilover shocks, a front antisway bar, and rack-and-pinion steering." The rest of the chassis is straightforward: a 9-inch rearend scavenged from a Lincoln Versailles, Posies leaf springs mounted inboard using a TCI kit, and Bilstein shocks. A PBR-based Baer Racing braking system was installed with 13-inch rotors up front and 12-inchers in the rear.
    Now that the powerplant fit, the chassis was essentially complete, and the body was in the hands of a competent shop, Jeff's attention turned to finishing the engine. "I called Street & Performance, and they had an intake on their shelf for the 392 Hemi," he says. " a TPI-style system with a custom sheetmetal intake that was supposed to work with a GM computer. So I got that."
    Early Hemis and '80s-spec GM computers weren't meant to go together, but optimism reigned supreme as the block was fit with a Crower billet crank that added a half-inch of stroke (for a total displacement of 450 ci). Todd McKenzie of McKenzie's Head Service ported the Hot Heads aluminum chunks, which are the topper to a spectacular early Hemi.
    As the body was being finished-firewall smoothed, DuPont Lime Gold on most of it, metallic charcoal on the roof, engine-turned panels along the rear quarters-a Richmond five-speed manual transmission became a surprise addition to the mix.
    With the Hemi installed and the '57 finished around a Ciadella custom interior incorporating a Glide front bench seat, reproduction stock upholstery, '68 Impala door-panel fabric stretched into a headliner, Daytona Weave '55 Corvette carpeting, and an engine-turned dash, Jeff Mann was finally ready to drive his car-a mere 17 years after he acquired it.
    "I immediately took it to the chassis dyno and was totally disappointed," Jeff recalls. "I was only making like 350 hp at the rear wheels. Totally limp. But at least I was driving it. Coming home from the dyno, I was on the 210 freeway when the oil pressure started dropping. The aftermarket oil pump I'd insisted on installing had worn its gear down on one side completely. The oil-pump shaft seized up and cracked the block's webbing, and that was that for that block. I think I'd put something like 100 miles on the car."
    At this point, Jeff had a choice: heave the car out of his life or double up and invest again in achieving the brute-force monster he'd envisioned. Since the car is on these pages, the choice he made is obvious.
    "I found another block, and a friend said, 'You know, we could put a Vortech on this thing,'" Jeff says with a sigh. "At that point, it was sort of, well, why the hell not? I'd already thrown so much cash into this thing; at least it ought to be fast."
    Using the crank, heads, Ross forged pistons from the original Hemi, and a new block, Jeff had that friend assemble the engine and work out a scheme to plumb in a Vortech blower. "My friend's shop is pretty close to Kenny Duttweiler's in Saticoy, , and after he built the engine, including a front plate to mount the blower, we took it to Duttweiler's to have Kenny dyno it," Jeff says. "And the first thing Kenny tells us is, 'You know, the blower is mounted on there so it rotates backward.' That was a pretty basic problem, so we ripped the engine apart-again-and Jim Bassett at Bones Fab in Camarillo, , redesigned the accessory-drive system with a single serpentine belt and the blower spinning in the correct direction." Bones Fab (www.bonesfab.com) also built the custom headers, figured out how to make the Vintage Air A/C system blow cold, and generally handled most of the final assembly chores.
    Duttweiler added a crank-trigger ignition, a big Accufab throttle body, wideband sensors, and an Accel DFI engine-control computer, and on the dyno, it was finally making serious power: 830 hp at 5,500 rpm and 823 lb-ft of peak torque at 4,900 rpm at the crank while running 12 pounds of boost on pump gas (and over 900 hp when running race fuel). And with Duttweiler tuning, there was reason to believe the car would be driveable, too. After about 30 pulls on Duttweiler's dyno that included a rocker-arm failure and numerous gasket leaks, the engine just went, according to Jeff, "poof. So Kenny pulled the heads off and one of the pistons had burned through at the crown. Like the edge of a hot dime had been pushed through the crown. There just wasn't enough material on the dome of these naturally aspirated pistons to handle the blower pressure. So, poof." Another set of pistons was ordered with what the brain trust hoped would have the appropriately rugged, blower-ready, material heft. Those pistons were installed, and the engine was reinstalled into the '57 at Bones Fab.
    Then, on the drive home from the Bones shop, Jeff blew another head gasket. "This time, I pulled the heads off and there was another hole in a piston-this time near a valve relief. We'd moved the ring land so close to the valve relief that it developed a hot spot. So we built the engine again-with a set of JE custom blower pistons-and this time, we moved the ring lands down so they actually crossed the wristpins."
    All that brings the car to late 2006-22 years after Jeff bought it-and finally he's driving it regularly. "I've got a couple thousand miles on it now," he says with some relief. "It runs cool, it has more than 600 lb-ft of torque at 2,000 rpm, and it's very driveable. It's a wicked car-more than I ever expected." All he had to do to get it was endure an improvised, advanced engine-development program that started with a simple notion and veered straight through too much time and a mound of cash.
    "I'm no millionaire, so I never could have afforded to do this if it meant writing one big check," Jeff says now. "But over 20 years, I could afford it. Of course, my daughter is 6 now, and when it comes time for her to go to college, well, I'm going to have to be dead and she's going to have to sell the car."
    Quick Inspection: '57 Chevrolet Bel Air
    Jeff Mann * South Pasadena, CA
    Powertrain
    Engine: The '58 Chrysler 392 Hemi block is stuffed with a Crower 11/42-inch stroker crank (for a total displacement of 450 ci), Crower 7.1-inch billet-steel rods, and custom JE forged pistons. Hot Heads aluminum cylinder heads ported by Todd McKenzie of McKenzie's Head Service are fitted with Comp Cams stainless valves actuated by a Rocker Arm Specialties roller valvetrain and Smith Bros. pushrods. The single-pattern Comp camshaft features 0.571-inch lift and 242 degrees of duration at 0.050. A Vortech V-7 YSi supercharger driven by a Bones Fab-engineered serpentine drive setup throws 12 pounds of boost into the engine through an Accufab 95mm throttle body on a Street & Performance-fabricated sheetmetal intake. Fuel and spark are controlled by an Accel DFI computer and an MSD crank trigger. Bones Fab also built the custom headers and exhaust system with Flowmaster Delta Flow mufflers. A Be Cool aluminum radiator is aided by twin electric cooling fans. Everything works because Kenny Duttweiler at Duttweiler Performance in Saticoy, California, established the fuel map and tuned it on his dynamometer.
    Power: On the Duttweiler dyno running pump gas, this engine produced 830 hp at 5,500 rpm and 823 lb-ft of peak torque at 4,900 rpm.
    Transmission: A Richmond five-speed is hooked to the engine through a McLeod twin-disc clutch, a Wilcap custom flywheel, and a Wilcap adapter plate with a McLeod Chevy bellhousing.
    Rearend: The Ford 9-inch rearend (from a Lincoln Versailles) was fitted with Mark Williams 31-spline axles and a Detroit Locker centersection carrying 2.91 gears.
    Chassis
    Frame: The stock '57 Chevy frame was powdercoated black and modified to accept the Hemi by Tierno's General Fabrication. In back, the rear leaf springs were moved inboard for increased tire clearance, while the entire front suspension was replaced with a Jim Meyer Racing system.
    Suspension: The Jim Meyer Racing front-suspension system uses tubular A-arms, QA1 coilovers, second-generation Camaro spindles with rear steer, and a power rack-and-pinion steering gear. It's finished with a 111/44-inch Speedway Engineering antisway bar. The rearend is suspended on Posies leaf springs and Bilstein shocks with a 111/48-inch Hellwig antisway bar.
    Brakes: They are Baer Racing PBR 13-inch rotors in front with two-piston calipers and 12-inch rotors in back with single-piston calipers. The system was fabricated by Bones Fab.
    Wheels: The round things at each corner are Colorado Custom Leadville 17-inch wheels.
    Tires: Those wheels are wrapped in P225/55R17 front and P255/60R17 rear Toyo tires.
    Style
    Body: It has been completely restored with new sheetmetal by Ellery Engel of Ellery Engel Restoration Specialties. The firewall was smoothed, and the rocker moldings and dashboard were restored. The hood and trunk emblems were shaved, and custom driving lights were fitted into the front bumper in place of the rubber bullets.
    Paint: The body is painted DuPont Lime Gold with the roof finished in Charcoal Metallic. The distinctive Bel Air panel inserts on the rear fenders have been replaced with machine-turned steel panels.
    Interior: The interior was covered with Dynamat insulation and stock-pattern Ciadella upholstery on a Glide front bench seat. Ciadella's '55 Corvette Daytona Weave carpeting was also used. The headliner was fabricated from the door-panel fabric for a '68 Impala. The power windows operate using the stock window cranks as triggers. A Colorado Custom Leadville steering wheel tops the ididit tilt steering column. A Classic Instruments gauge cluster is set into the dashboard alongside engine-turned panels

Photo Gallery: 1957 Chevrolet Bel Air - Dare To Be Difficult - Hot Rod Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

More...

Black as Wesley Snipes
    09 Mazda 3, 12 Z1000

Thats dedication

Thread Information