Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Talking 1/5 scale 26cc 2 stroke gas powered R/C Baja

Hello,
    Not sure how many of you are into R/C but I recently got hooked on a particular vehicle. It's called an HPI Baja 5B SS, comes as a kit and you put it all together. Comes with a 26cc 2 stroke engine that pushes this 25 lb r/c car up to speeds around 35-45 mph. It's HUGE! I got mine back in October, and was surprised at how big it actually is. I had done a lot of research, looked at a lot of pictures, watched a ton of videos and still, I was not ready for the size of this beast. I currently have about $1500, possibly more in it as I haven't figured up everything I've bought. Here are a few pictures.

Anways I have spent way more money than I planned, but I have had a blast. This is how it comes out of the box, (kitty was inspecting my new toy)

My gf said I looked like a kid at christmas for the next week putting it together. It's seriously some of the most fun I've had in a while.

Wasn't sure if any of you on here are into R/C vehicles, but I am trying to get an R/C stadium truck. HPI came out with a little truck called the blitz and the sister site to the Baja forums that I am always on is giving one away to the person who can get the most referrals. If you all wouldn't mind taking a second and registering there, I would absolutely love a chance to own one without taking funds away from my Baja and WS6. Just go to this link to register
    http://www.hpiblitzforum.com/register.php
    and when it asks for a referrer, put in 99_WS6 as the username.
    Let's see pictures of your R/C vehicles if you have any

Steve

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

thats nice cuz that nitro fuel is madd expensive, and you'll get more time per tank probably with the mixed gas

now, would that thing be faster than a nitro buggy?

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

cool buggy man! always been a big fan of the 1/5 scales. just can't afford the initial cost? i got a 1/8 scale ofna violator, probably got about 1200$ in it now though? lol
    finally 551 RWHP!!!!

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Well it all depends on the buggy and the engine. Oneil Brother's make racing engines for these Baja's and they have a video of their Baja going 79 mph. Also I'm not sure as some nitro's, such as my 1/10th on-road has two speed transmissions and these Bajas only have one speed. There are a couple companies that are working on a two speed but it's been in the works a while.

I do get about 45 minutes out of a tank on here, and I got about 5 tanks out of half a gallon of gas. Plus once you tune it, it's pretty much set. Nitros are a lot pickier about being tuned for different temps, and humidity. Plus as you said, a gallon of Nitro is about $20-$25 whereas 91 octane is still under $3 here.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Tha't a BIG buggy. And I thought 1/10 was big.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 1SSWFO View Post
    cool buggy man! always been a big fan of the 1/5 scales. just can't afford the initial cost? i got a 1/8 scale ofna violator, probably got about 1200$ in it now though? lol

Then you could easily afford one of these. lol I didn't plan on buying all the upgrades I have, but one thing led to another and I have what you see. I planned on buying the buggy for $825 and the Futaba 3PMX 2.4Ghz radio system for about $150 and that was gonna be it for a while. A few preventive maintenance parts later and I think I am sitting pretty for a while. Now if I only had places to actually go run with other people but SE KS isn't too big into R/Cs.

I just hope I get enough referrals to win that Electric 1/10th scale Short course truck. I have been bit by the R/C bug. I've been looking at little r/c copters to fly around the house, little 1/28th scale cars to run inside while it's cold out, slightly bigger 1/18th scale vehicles. And I'm actually wanting to get to finally run the 1/10th on-road HPI RS4 3 nitro that I have with the Trans Am body. I bought it used and had to put some work into the clutch before it ran right. Having never worked on R/Cs before I was kind of intimidated but not now.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by cammed goat View Post
    Tha't a BIG buggy. And I thought 1/10 was big.
    I'll get a picture of me holding it in a little bit and post it so you can get a better idea of it's size. Sadly, it still don't compare to actually seeing it in person.

The Herpes of LS1.com Modulistic's Avatar

gray
    07 duramax

looks like a chainsaw motor. I love working on 2 cycle engines. so easy.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

From what I understand, they are really similar to chainsaw, and weed eater engines. They rev up to 14,000-20,000 rpms and produce anywhere from 2-6 hp depending on who is building them. It is honestly almost as addicting as my Trans Am.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Oh and the leader with referrals right now only has 3 so it's not like it would take much to win, as I have 1. Any help??? lol

Trans Am owner
    former

thats awesome man. i have a decked out nitro rustler that I have about $1,000 into.

I love the way the HPI baja exhaust sounds. like a mini dirtbike lol

just some of the aluminum i got. everything's aluminum but the A-arms
    Last edited by LT1 > LS1; 01-17-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

Here is a picture of the differential while being put together, and then a picture of the engine for size comparison.

And here is one of me holding it so you can get a better idea of how huge this really is. I'm 6'2" and 200lbs...

Impounded
    gmcheviac

I would have saved so much over time going 1/5th scale, but the initial price was way too steep for me. Five hobby grade r/c's here, none have moved since summer of '08 or so

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I've been told that once I've gone 1/5 gas, I won't want to go back to nitro. Sadly, I never really got to play with my RS4 because when I finally got it all fixed up to where it should be in proper running condition, I had the Baja on its way to me. It's been together and sitting on a shelf since then. And as badly as I've wanted to get the Baja out in the snow, I haven't wanted to take a chance on lean seizing the engine if it isn't rich enough or getting the plastic brittle enough and hitting something and snapping parts. I'm impatiently waiting on spring and warm weather.

Impounded
    gmcheviac

Why don't you richen it then

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I almost did one day, just because I was itchin to get it out in the snow. I just didn't want to take a chance. Part of it is taking the time to actually get it tuned right for the weather, and hoping that your linkages or carb don't freeze up before you get to have a lot of fun. Granted, most the stories I hear are not that bad about driving in winter, as some people live in Canada and drive in snow half the year. I just didn't want to take a chance on it. I know my luck and I would have probably broke something.

I'm trying to find a way to shrink down a .mov file from my iphone of it running at ballpark to post up for you all.

'74 Pinto

That is a nice 5B you got there. I have a 5B and a Traxxas Revo 3.3. I use the 5B more often than I use the Revo. Only mod I have on it is a tuned pipe from TGN. Its fun to drive.

Scott

LIGHT PEWTER METALIC
    1999 SS CAMARO

I dont know a whole lot about the better race nitro motors mine came as a ready to run kit? Which within a day I had to upgrade the cheep factory servos and of course the pipe! We all got into them a couple yrs ago and I was the only one with a buggy? The motor has beenkinda hard to tune but it has been pretty much bullet proof. Probably got 3 gallons of Nitro through it and I've never used a temp gun just wet the finger and touch the cooling head. Maybe lucky but it still runs like a raped ape. Just nobody into them anymore? Kinda lost interest myself just always wanted one of the 1/5 scales though always looked badass.

I had an 1/8 scale I believe nitro awd buggy and my friend had the same, we had a blast with those things. Jumping the shed, house, whatever we could lol

Black
    1999 Trans Am WS6

I didn't think R/C was as big as it actually is either, but there are some pretty big events that get organized in different parts of the US from me. Plus I guess there is an organization that holds racing events in different cities in the midwest and have a national championship style points series. That's part of the reason I am hoping to win this Blitz as I would definitely get involved in that more.

I'm not sure if I would ever jump a shed or house with this, but if you search on youtube for a 5T double blackflip, you'll see videos of people out on the dunes having huge air sessions, some of which even snap front hubs and such on the landing. My video is currently uploading.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information