Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1/4 eta

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

1/4 eta

So im thinking about possibly running my car at the track this weekend (Tagging along with a buddy). kinda wondering what you guys think, if the track is prep right and all goes good how well do you think the car will run? its a 1994 trans am, 323 gears, cut-out, MSD dis and msd plug wires, cold air intake, and a stage 3 tranny, running on 18'' BFG G-force tires. Do you think i can break into the high 13's?
    Last edited by Adam_94_T/A; 01-07-2010 at 09:01 AM.

White
    '10 ZR1

I bought a '94 TA GT brand new back in the day - as the day went on, the car got quicker that particular day.

I ran a 14.08 @ 97-ish, and then in eliminations, I dialed in at 14.04, I beat the other car to the end, tapped the brakes and still ran a 14.02 @ 91!

So yea, high 13's are attainable - 20 psi in the tires works pretty well with what you're running - the 18's might hurt you a little. I don't think you'll run any slower than 14.30's.

Edit: My car was 100% stock down to the paper filter and tires, it only had 15K to 20K miles on it.
    Last edited by FasstChevys; 01-07-2010 at 05:45 AM.

Machine Silver
    05 Corvette

13.9 to 14.2

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I think the 3.23s and 18 inch rims will slow you down to 14.2 and up, even with good track prep and good air.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_94_T/A View Post
    So im thinking about possibly running my car at the track this weekend (Tagging along with a buddy). kinda wondering what you guys think, if the track is prep right and all goes good how well do you think the car will run? its a 1994 trans am, 323 gears, cut-out, MSD dis and msd plug wires, cold air intake, and a stage 3 tranny, running on 18' BFG G-force tires. Do you think i can break into the high 13's?
    I'm suprised you got those 18 foot tall tires under the car.

On a more serious note depending on DA you'll probably run low 14's. I doubt you'll hit 13's. Best I could get my 96 Z28 with similar mods (cutout, CAI and Nitto DR's) was 14.02 @ 100mph.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

My father has a 95' trans am with 17'' rims, bbk throttle body, shorty's and y-pipe, stage 3 tranny, matched intake and heads, valve job, roller rocks, accel dis, accel ignition, along with a tune and we are pretty much neck and neck from 15 mph roll to 75mph the nose of my car is right at the back of his door. kinda makes me wonder if my car has had work done in the past or maybe a factory freak i have not a clue it was owned by two older couples before me so idk. but im thinking i could maybe possibly hit high 13's. i raced a late 90's 5.0 with a cam, exhaust, and tune and beat it twice the same night. Before i did any mods to my car.

Forgot he has 383 gears with new carrier
    Last edited by Adam_94_T/A; 01-07-2010 at 09:01 AM.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Quote Originally Posted by 67CamaroRSSS View Post
    I'm suprised you got those 18 foot tall tires under the car.

On a more serious note depending on DA you'll probably run low 14's. I doubt you'll hit 13's. Best I could get my 96 Z28 with similar mods (cutout, CAI and Nitto DR's) was 14.02 @ 100mph.
    i bought them for a guy about to deploy cheap i got the 17'' on the front and 18'' on the back funny thing is the tires sit at the same height due to profile of the tires 275/40r/18's
    Last edited by Adam_94_T/A; 01-07-2010 at 09:00 AM.

Arctic White, red/gray
    1997 Corvette, 92 Typhoon

i bought them for a guy about to deploy cheap i got the 17' on the front and 18' on the back funny thing is the tires sit at the same height due to profile of the tires 275/40r/18's
    Hes messing with you, he said 18 foot tires not 18 inch. Because 18' means 18 feet and 18" means 18 inches.

Do you still have the stock stall in that stage 3 tranny?

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

lol simple mistake sorry guys lol i feel crazy dumb right about now lol anyways yes stock stall is in the tranny

gold
    2000 honder accord

lol simple mistake sorry guys lol i feel crazy dumb right about now lol anyways yes stock stall is in the tranny
    why? there isnt a reason to have a "stage 3" tranny if your not going to put a big stall and some gnarly power through it.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by andrew rs View Post
    why? there isnt a reason to have a "stage 3" tranny if your not going to put a big stall and some gnarly power through it.
    Why change the stall if you're not changing the camshaft, heads and perhaps the compression ratio?

There's nothing wrong with having a strong transmission that will have an easy life before adding extra power sometime down the road.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Quote Originally Posted by FasstChevys View Post
    Why change the stall if you're not changing the camshaft, heads and perhaps the compression ratio?

There's nothing wrong with having a strong transmission that will have an easy life before adding extra power sometime down the road.

My exact reasoning for doing so i went through 2 tranny's thus far and with my last rebuild i want to go bigger and strong replace everything GM had problems with their sunshell so i beefed it up as well as pump clutches and steels all new elc. bushings o rings transgo plate and corvette servo strong retaining springs different sprag etc..... my intentions are to build it as i go Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

I highly recommend a shield or blanket on any transmission that has been modified. I shattered my case one year and getting a shard like an ice pick through the calf really sucks.

White
    '10 ZR1

My exact reasoning for doing so i went through 2 tranny's thus far and with my last rebuild i want to go bigger and strong replace everything GM had problems with their sunshell so i beefed it up as well as pump clutches and steels all new elc. bushings o rings transgo plate and corvette servo strong retaining springs different sprag etc..... my intentions are to build it as i go Not everyone is born with a silver spoon in their mouth

I ran mine last year and best was a 14.4 at 99.x. I didn't launch too great and it was a 6 speed with an auto tune, not sure how that may have effected anything... but it should have ran in the 13s had I driven it better.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by gd1996 View Post
    I ran mine last year and best was a 14.4 at 99.x. I didn't launch too great and it was a 6 speed with an auto tune, not sure how that may have effected anything... but it should have ran in the 13s had I driven it better.
    What was your 60' time?

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Posting a video i took this morning after leaving gas station. Nothing crazy but might give a little better idea of how it will run.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

Black
    1994 Camaro Z28

Inexperienced driver plus 18 inch rims... Not trying to be a dick but 13s don't enter into that equation in my experience.

My advice is simple: Have a good time. Enjoy the car. Watch what other people do and listen carefully to what they say.

Shallow staging will help your elapsed time. Just barely light the second beam (stage light). When the third yellow comes on, launch. Don't anticipate it just allow your natural reaction time to respond. Adjust accordingly on your next pass. A shallow rollout allows the car to move a longer distance before the timers start which decreases your elapsed time.

Put 40 pounds in your front tires. Unhook your front sway bar on one side and wire it up so it stays put. Try about 22 pounds in your rear tires to start and adjust as necessary.

Your reaction time has zero effect on your elapsed time.

Avoid the water box. Try to do a short burnout to clean off the tires (brakestand) as I assume you do not have a line loc. Try to follow a car running slicks. Avoid following front wheel drive cars as they will usually drag water up to the starting line.

Bring show polish or erasable window marker to write your own number on the car. I usually have some paper towels and windex in the trunk area to clean it off at the end of the night. Even on an informal street night is is common courtesy to write your car number on all four windows, although many people just write it on the side facing the tower and the windshield.

Make sure all your lugnuts are on, you have your drivers license and registration. Different tracks sometimes check different things.

Let them know you are new and people will cut you some slack.

Courtesy stage: If you light the pre-stage bulb first, wait for the other guy to pre-stage before you stage and vice versa. Many people forget about courtesy staging but it is a "best practice" and people will treat you better if you do it.

ABove all, have a good time.

White
    1994 Pontiac T/A

I might not even run my car. Looks like it would be fun tho. For me it would be nice to see how the car runs and get a number finally in my head. Just heading out to watch buddies procharge 03 GT run a pass or two.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information