Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '06 Gto

White
    '10 ZR1

'06 Gto

..............this is the last year for the GTO, or so I've heard. I hope they hurry up with the new Camaro! (maybe this is old news, but it's the first I've heard of it)...........the word was....and I quote......."bland styling, and higher than expected sticker prices turned off a lot of enthusiasts to the GTO"........I can't say I disagree. Thoughts?

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I would not say bland. I just dont think it looked like most people thought it should look. Car for car it is a great car. You should get alot of post on this because there is a lot of GTO owners..

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

they only planned on doing a 2-3 year run..they said that originally... the are going to redesign it and bring it back as a 07 or 08 model..probably at the same time as the camaro.

LeMans
    2005 Corvette 2005 GTO

Yeah, I cant see getting rid of the GTO again, they are amazing looking cars!

black
    98 WS6

as said above - it was planned
    gto will return instead of a firebird at the same time as camaro

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

this is the first time I've even heard that they're bringing back the GTO.
    I for one hope they do.
    but i agree that the styling is bland (sorry sarge). When they brought it back I wanted to see something very agressive and in my humble opinion, I think it kinda looks like an SBC company car. I mean, c'mon a proper GTO should scare you a little bit. When they added the scoops for 06, that helped a little, but like Car & Drivel mag said, it was sorta like your old Aunt Margaret penciling in some angry eyebrows. She might look a little meaner but she's still your old Aunt Margaret.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by pecha
    as said above - it was planned
    gto will return instead of a firebird at the same time as camaro
    I'm only going off of what I heard said on a TV show this morning, nothing else. It sounds like they are discontinuing it. We shall see!

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i think the current gto looks good. jus doesnt look like a gto. i think if it had a stronger rear end and stiffer suspension and kept the current acceleration at a cheaper price it would have sold better. the price jus gets so high for ls cars. thats what kept me out of one. i think the new gto also has to be based on an american car platform instead of the holden deal.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

they arent going to bring back the camaro or firebird

'57,'63,'70,'91,'01

The GTO is a great car! The styling is just average but the interior and drivetrain is top shelf! A friend of mine took the rear spoiler off his and that helped a bunch with the looks.

black
    2001 Camaro SS M6

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    this is the first time I've even heard that they're bringing back the GTO.
    I for one hope they do.
    but i agree that the styling is bland (sorry sarge). When they brought it back I wanted to see something very agressive and in my humble opinion, I think it kinda looks like an SBC company car. I mean, c'mon a proper GTO should scare you a little bit. When they added the scoops for 06, that helped a little, but like Car & Drivel mag said, it was sorta like your old Aunt Margaret penciling in some angry eyebrows. She might look a little meaner but she's still your old Aunt Margaret.
    a. food scoops were for 05-06.
    b. the original gto was based off of a boring car...and they only added hood scoops....atleast in the earlier ones. So they used the same formula.

people were jsut to hyped up about the car...instead of going to drive it and then making an opinion. Only fault that I saw in the car was lack of power for the 04s...or to much weight...weights kills, but they sort of fixed that problem by giving it the ls2 in 05.

White
    '10 ZR1

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    they arent going to bring back the camaro or firebird
    I'd bet against that! I hope you're wrong....

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

I hear what you are saying needmore, seems everythinghas gone rear spoiler crazy these days.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

you know i never thought of it, but brandondrecksage is right. if you think about the first gtos they were created off the tempest platform. not exactly an exciting car. i think people wanna remember the gto being a lot more aggressive looking then it really was. they automatically jus think 69 gto judge ram air iv when they think gto. the current car basically followed the same concept. take boring midsize 2 door and put strong powertrain inside. my gripe still stands though with the heavy weight, and soft suspension. i dont know how many of you guys have actually driven one but the thing has excessively soft suspension. to the point where you can feel it jus driving moderately aggressive around town. not really even pushing it real hard.

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

but then again Pontiac may have known all of this and was just test the market. Remember there was no rearwheel drive cars in GM line up in 04. I think it may have been more of a concept GTO to see if it would sell if they make it.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonDrecksage
    a. food scoops were for 05-06.
    b. the original gto was based off of a boring car...and they only added hood scoops....atleast in the earlier ones. So they used the same formula.

people were jsut to hyped up about the car...instead of going to drive it and then making an opinion. Only fault that I saw in the car was lack of power for the 04s...or to much weight...weights kills, but they sort of fixed that problem by giving it the ls2 in 05.
    food scoops!
    my bad about the year. you get the idea. I realize the original was also based on a boring car but to me the new GTO has too much association with a much cheaper car as well, the Bland ...errr Grand Am. When I saw the concept photos when they first started to circulate about this new GTO, i was excited about the news but then sorely disappointed that it was going to look kinda like a beefed-up Grand Am in the front and for the rest of the car, the body based on the Holden seemed like an afterthought.

Too bad GM didn't have the coin to develop and produce something like this, which might have sold well enough to put a dent in the 05 Mustang sales as well as provide the impetus to keep making them.

black
    98 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by 310stanger
    you know i never thought of it, but brandondrecksage is right. if you think about the first gtos they were created off the tempest platform. not exactly an exciting car. i think people wanna remember the gto being a lot more aggressive looking then it really was. they automatically jus think 69 gto judge ram air iv when they think gto. the current car basically followed the same concept. take boring midsize 2 door and put strong powertrain inside. my gripe still stands though with the heavy weight, and soft suspension. i dont know how many of you guys have actually driven one but the thing has excessively soft suspension. to the point where you can feel it jus driving moderately aggressive around town. not really even pushing it real hard.
    GTO is a grand tourer
    take one to a 800 mile - one day trip and you will understand

Gray
    2012 Challenger R/T

Why dont Pontiac just use the Cadillac Cts-v . And just chasnge the sheetmetal a little and make it a 2-door. All the work is already done ???

black
    98 WS6

GTO is a 2 door coupe
    just like camaro
    that's why in a couple years they're gonna share a platform

black
    1999 Camaro Z28 M6

When the "new" GTO came out a few years back, I wasn't impressed at all with the styling. I thought it looked like a Grand Prix, just a little beefier.

As for the new Camaro concept, eh.....not sure about my thoughts on that. I think GM is trying too hard heh. Just bring out a car with some nice clean lines that is fast as hell, and they'll have a winner.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information