Thread: 06 cobalt ss

red
    00 camaro ss

06 cobalt ss

Well I should be getting my crank back next week for my camaro. In the mean time I bought a cobalt ss supercharged. I know its considered rice, but the fucker is pretty quick. I plan on leaving it stock for about 2 years, and then I am going to mod the fuck out of it. For those of you that dont know the story about my camaro, here goes. I built a 402 stroker last winter and spun #4 rod bearing at the end of last summer. So I had to send my crank out to a machine shop to get ground .005". It should be back in action by May.
    00 ss camaro, 6.0 liter iron block, 4" callies crank, 4" Mahle pistons, Howards rods, Comp cam .598/.598, ported polished heads, Fast 90mm intake and tb flp headers and y pipe, lingenfelter muffler and tips, Maf, injectors, frame connectors.

gm is coming out with a stage 1 and stage 2 kit, the stage 1 is a reflash and new injecters, and stage 2 is a reflash, smaller pully and new belt. all covered under warrenty.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

what kinda mileage does that Cobalt get?
    I bet it's fun but it's no torque monster... right?

Senior Member FuxOnTheFirstDate's Avatar

Shit
    What is sad is that the Cobalt will out-sell the f-body like crazy. People just like these types of cars for some reason. Especially the rice guys that want to mod it under warranty.

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    what kinda mileage does that Cobalt get?
    I bet it's fun but it's no torque monster... right?
    I get on average 26 mpg. freeway 31. No extreme torque, but it runs pretty well. The power to weight ratio is 60/40. So it runs the same Quarter mile time as a neon srt4, wich has 230 hp. My cobalt has 205.

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by FuxOnTheFirstDate
    What is sad is that the Cobalt will out-sell the f-body like crazy. People just like these types of cars for some reason. Especially the rice guys that want to mod it under warranty.
    Gas mileage. That is the reason and they are pretty cool looking. Dont worry this isnt even close to an F-body in my eyes. I just think its a pretty cool little car, that can beat some stock gt's. 14.4 quarter mile times. lol its a 4 banger.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

yea, and now a days these "rice" / 4 banger performance cars are the new trend, no body likes V8's anymore, well anyone under 20 anyways

its kind of sad
    98' SS Convertible Camaro-76k-Build # 1471, Cragar SS rims, RK SFC's, MAC Panhard, LSX Tune, Shaner S3,
    SLP:short thro,Strut tower brace,fan switch
    MTI Power induction kit,40 Series muffler,Pacesetter LT's + ORY,12 CD changer,3800lbs
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/787506/1

92 K Blazer/'03 H-D Deuce

Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss
    yea, and now a days these "rice" / 4 banger performance cars are the new trend, no body likes V8's anymore, well anyone under 20 anyways

its kind of sad
    i dont think a cobalt ss qualifies as "rice" material. so what if its a 4cyl. its a quick little factory supercharged car. Gayass fart exhaust, stickers etc is what rice's a car up. if it looks respectable, and its quick then more power to you. I'm sure plenty of kids like v-8s but cant afford the insurance along with the current price of gas...... think about the whole and not just a "rice" factor.

Get used to tha view!
    Quote Originally Posted by ss~zoso~ss

its kind of sad
    Not true. Alot of us just cant afford it.

red
    00 camaro ss

I rang that little cobalt out this morning. It is saturday morning commute to work. Its totally dead out. I had about 2 miles of clear road ahead. I rang that little car to 145 mph. then it hit the speed limiter. It had more too. Man I am impressed now. I'm glad I bought this little fucker.

YOW Pookie's gone postal! Motrv8d Steve's Avatar

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

hot little shits!
    what color is yours?

Member Since Aug 2000 LS1 Eddie's Avatar
    My friend has an 05 Cobalt SS. I've driven it a few times, and it it pretty quick. I like them, they're nice cars.

red
    00 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by Motrv8d Steve
    Click for full size
    Click for full size

hot little shits!
    what color is yours?
    black with black and red leather interior

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

i really think the main reason why the "kids" dont drive v8s is cause they jus simply cant afford to. the automakers and insurance companies have basically priced them out of the cars. when i started driving i wanted an fbody real bad this was between the 01 02 model years. the fbodys i was interested in were all between 25 and 32 grand. now unless you have a rich mommy and daddy to spoil you theres jus no way a 17 18 fuck even most 23 yr old kids can afford these things. now fbody insurance is some of the most expensive out of any car, i believe its actually higher then a vette. at least in my area. now when you can get a 4 cyl thats 10 k cheaper, the insurance is way cheaper and they can still look "cool" and lets face it, that srt-4 really is pretty quick as far as 4 cyls are concerned. it lays waste to most of the 80s domestics. i had to wait till 21 till i got my beloved 5.0. and even then i wouldnt exactly call this car cheap. i am forever adding that brand new 300 dollar or more performance part. so i think the rice issue is 3/4 stupidity, and a 1/4 not having a choice.

Victory Red
    2006 Cobalt SS s/c

brought back from the grave.. but i own an 06 cobalt ss s/c so i had to chime in...

ok.. chevy rated it at 205HP and 200 ft-lbs but they put down about 215-225HP and 190-210ft-lbs on a dynojet at the wheels. with about $1000 you can get about 270whp, which when coupled with 2800lbs of car, and drag radials will net you high 12;s and has already been done more than once. and the aftermarket support is in the baby stages and is increasing rapidly due to finally unlocking pcm tuning.

the car doesnt have a speed limiter... the only thing holding it back is revs and power/drag

the car is no torque monster, but it will throw u back in your seat if in the pwoerband and more than holds it own. i can beat or hang with lots of cars that cost more, or people think are much faster. i know for a fact i can beat or tie stock 2004 or lower mustang GT's (do it all the time, best friend has one), stock srt-4's (drivers race and well, i can drive--but srt'4s are a wee bit faster..more torque), etc... ..the car is capable of 14.0-14.1 stock 1/4 mile but is very hard 2 launch

the car absoultely handles its ass off and will outhandle any stock f-body. the suspension was tuned on the nurburing (sp?) in germany. on the "track" i have taken turns at 120+ and the thing just holds it ass and goes.

why i bought the car? the car is a good looking car, the insurance is like $12 more a month than my old 95 eclipse n/t, and are pretty rare. the car comes with such things as an INTERCOOLED (water to air) eaton m62 supercharger, the ecotec lsj motor with forged internals (except the pistons), 18" rims, pirelli tires, a monsterous spoiler that is sort of a love/hate relationship with the owners but fits the character of the car, recaro seats and a quaife LSD (an option but of course i have it), sunroof, mp3 cd player, 7-speaker pioneer system with a 10" sub, among other things, all for about 23 grand (i paid 23,500 otd).

i pay for my car myself, and couldnt afford anything more than that. its an excellent bang for the buck. i replaced the stock air box with a cone filter (its already a cold air), and the supercharger absolutely screams. i couldnt be happier. while i think the car is slow (ima sick man and, well, want 800+HP from my next car) i couldnt be happier, and most people arent up-to-date on their cobalt info, so it sneaks up on people.

Victory Red
    2006 Cobalt SS s/c

o and it definately isnt rice!!!! rice is a car (regardless of make or model), with different color cody panels, huge shopping cart wing, with a fart can as their only "performance mod", huge amount of stickers, lowered with cut springs with the sick sick camber misalignment, neons, those stupid taillights, silver tints, and the failure to break into the 16's in teh 1/4 mile.

i cant see how a low 14second car with nothing done to it is rice?

I have been looking at them also! I really like them, only problem is that the wife can't drive a manual. I need to teach her, b/c I would love to get one!
    2008 Lincoln MKZ - AWD
    2008 Pontiac G8 GT - Wifes car
    2006 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP - Sold
    2004 Pontiac GTO M6 - Sold

yellow
    02 Collector Edition TA

I've seen a few of those things now run mid 12s, they are easy as hell to mod much like the SC 3800 cars (regal gs and grand prix gtp) all respond really well to mods. Good purchase, fast and economical plus it looks pretty cool to boot.

Thread Information