Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Black
    99 Z28

%$@# credit cards....

So I got my tax return back. It's like $5k WOO HOO!

Having that kind of money to have to figure out the best way to spend it is always a good problem to have.

I am getting a new laptop. My current laptop has a 30GB hard and that was kinda big at the time, so I don't remember how old... but it's old.

I started looking at credit cards and the APR I'm getting charged.

One of my credit card companies (wamu) is charging 31.99% APR. I asked them to lower it... the run around you get on that is annoying as hell. That credit card did have a single late payment in the last year. I paid it online on "the day" but it was after the cut off time.

My wife and I both have accounts with them. Her rate is bad 25.99, but not quite as bad as mine.

I can pay them both off with the remainder of the return which is nice, but it's not the most fun way I could think of to spend the return, and I'll have charge on one of them again in order to get new tires. We all know how inexpensive that is.

I didn't even know that it was legal to charge rates like that. I'd get better rates from a friggen loan shark!

Anyway, there's my rant.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

What about saving enough of the return to pay for the tires with 'cash', buy the laptop, pay down on your card, and pay off your wifes card?

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

CC are bad. Stop using them.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

holy shit... dude... get a new card with a 0% intro for a few months... then keep switching till they are paid off... don't use them unless it's an emergency... they are death traps!!!

98 Formula
    06 duramax

cc companies are sneaky. I won't own a varible rate card because they'll sneak those high rates in on you if you're not paying attention. I forget what our cards carry... 6 and 9% I think. I can live with that.

Black
    99 Z28

I've thought about getting another card, I haven't applied, but my credit is for crap right now. I just forclosed a house last year. My wife might be able to, but her income isn't there. I'll get it taken care of.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

it sucks for sure but the best thing to do would be to pay those off. Then cut them up and let your credit heal before getting another one. I've been there about 18-20 years ago. High interest cards and shady credit so it's almost impossible to get a good rate. Ride it out and keep your shit together and you'll be back on top. You know all this though, just trying to offer a pep talk.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse View Post
    I've thought about getting another card, I haven't applied, but my credit is for crap right now. I just forclosed a house last year. My wife might be able to, but her income isn't there. I'll get it taken care of.
    jsut becareful... don't allow for more than 2 credit checks a month... that will hurt your credit... don't apply for more than 2 CC's a month... also hurts credit... getting your credit back is a real bitch...

black
    2002 firehawk 94 Z28

5grand damn dude do you have like 7 kids and couple of dogs your claiming or what. lucky turd im lucky to not have pay in less than $500 or so.

NBM
    99 TA

damn dude, dont rack up such a high bill, use it for gas and food etc and pay it off every month. if your credit is in the shitter, using a CC will be good to re establish your credit but use it at a minimum. If you can't afford it, don't buy it (i.e a new laptop should not come before new tires)

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by t-rock View Post
    5grand damn dude do you have like 7 kids and couple of dogs your claiming or what. lucky turd im lucky to not have pay in less than $500 or so.
    claim 0, withhold at higher single rate, have a bit extra with held just in case... I had an employer screw me by not taking out enough and I ended up having to pay once. ONCE.

other than that one time, I've always gotten money back. I don't mind paying into an account I get at the end of the year anyway.

Before all of you "know alls" go off on me for letting the government use my money for free all year or lecturing me on putting into to some other fund where I'd get the interest, I know you mean well... but keep it to yourself. I already know this, if it's in an account I can get to, I'm pretty sure I can find a way to spend it. If it's taxed, I don't see it, I don't miss it, I can't spend it and life is fine when it comes back.

artic white
    2001 WS6 Trans Am

Credit cards suck The whole living outside your means is one of the reasons that this country is in such trouble. If you cant afford it you shouldnt be buying it. I know that is not a popular opinion in this country but that is mine
    “The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.”
    Thomas Jefferson

98 Formula
    06 duramax

claim 0, withhold at higher single rate, have a bit extra with held just in case... I had an employer screw me by not taking out enough and I ended up having to pay once. ONCE.

other than that one time, I've always gotten money back. I don't mind paying into an account I get at the end of the year anyway.

Before all of you "know alls" go off on me for letting the government use my money for free all year or lecturing me on putting into to some other fund where I'd get the interest, I know you mean well... but keep it to yourself. I already know this, if it's in an account I can get to, I'm pretty sure I can find a way to spend it. If it's taxed, I don't see it, I don't miss it, I can't spend it and life is fine when it comes back.
    I can completely relate. My wife got us one year and it's the first and only time I've ever had to pay money. She's since adjusted and I'd be embarassed to tell you how much we got back this year, not to mention the know it alls having a field day. We don't have them hold any extra out but they do hold a bunch out.

2002 Z28 A4 NBM
    Sadly now demodded :(

I'd pay off the CC 1st so you don't lose money to the intrest payment.

An 33%+ isn't the highest it will go. I was watching a commercial for using your car title for a loan. I couldn't believe they are allowed to charge 94%+! Now that's hiway robbery IMHO.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

While I kinda see where you are coming from... Think of it this way.

If you didn't have all that money withheld, you could have it in your pocket for all those CC purchases you make. Thus, saving you BIG bucks in interest. I never understood why people couldn't not spend the money they make once they see it. If you think from a different angle on the subject, and try to do things a little differently with your money, you might just save yourself from poor credit and big interest payments that you shouldn't owe in the first place. Just some food for though.

Black
    99 Z28

Well, I have learned from many mistakes that have gotten me to this point and I don't spend money the way I used to. I don't live beyond my means really, not any more... that doesn't mean that the past just goes away though. I'm still paying for it (obviously).

As far as spending money on things you need/don't need... I know as well as anyone that I buy things that I don't need, but the things I "need" seem to increase with the amount of money I have. i.e. top ramen/mac & cheese for dinner if that really is all you can afford to get in a down time vs. needing something more to eat when you have the money for something a little better.

I suppose I don't "need" a steak dinner ever, but I can't really live on top ramen as the primary diet for a real length of time either.

Black
    99 Z28

To add to that, if it's taken immediately out of the pay check and I don't have access to it, it's not something I can spend where I could use it on a down time to have something a bit nicer.

When it comes to bad decisions/bad habits with money, the ill effects are around for a while.

Nothing special
    Nothing special

Fastest way to start earning yourself 30 percent is to pay those bad boys off. Pay it off, never use it again.

Black
    2001 Firebird TransAm WS6

shit, i cant even get a credit card. no one wants to give me one.

Black
    99 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by grouch0jr View Post
    shit, i cant even get a credit card. no one wants to give me one.
    You say that like it's a bad thing....

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information