Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

$1.99 Pennzoil Platinum

On sale at all nationwide Checkers Auto Parts stores through Sept 13th.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

I'm waiting to put amsoil in this time i think.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Good man Dobie but all of us aren't rich like you.

2016 Silverado Z71
    1999 Camaro SS #1437

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Good man Dobie but all of us aren't rich like you.
    Shit your the one thats rich, look at the bling in your picture on the post your picture thread And it's not a gap

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

i think thats about what i pay at wal-mart for the big bottle of P.P. ...i want to say 19.99 not on sale

pewter
    99 trans am ws6

the big bottle of pp at walmart comes out to about 4 dollars a bottle

silver
    98 ss camaro

hey sarge your fav oil question I switch from royal purple to P.P. I know you were saying that pp was beating almost all in the test just thought i'd check up money aside what would you put in your ride.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I have had excellent results with PP 10-30. I have Shaeffers Series 7000 10-30 in there right now. PP is excellent lube.....

Gray/ White
    09Ram 1500 83 Thunderturd

I've heard PP has a high parafin content

Black With T-Tops
    96 Z28 M6

Is Checkers Auto parts the name of the store or would it be all auto parts stores?

Red
    2001 ws6

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    wondering the same

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by GTP231 View Post
    All oil has a paraffin base and PP/or even the yellow bottle conventional has no more or less than any other oil.
    Furthermore folks confuse what exactly paraffin is in oil...they think it is the same as paraffin wax used in candles....nope...not even close.....This is leftover from the Pennzoil causes sludge myth from the 60's and 70's....I've read a mile of post on many forums and had many a face to face with folks who swear Pennzoil causes sludge....almost without exception it will end up with "well I know a mechanic who has rebuilt many engines and they were all sludged up and the driver used Pennzoil"......I always ask...."well has that same mechanic torn down a perfectly fine running engine running Pennzoil?"
    ...and of course the answer is always I dunno or of course not....here is the point......Oil..of any brand....is incapable of "making sludge"....Sludge is the result of A) inoperative PCV B) Ridiculous Oil Change Intervals C) Coolant leaks
    The Pennzoil causes sludge or is loaded with candle wax rumor/myth is just as seriously retarded as if you beat your meat you'll grow hair on your palms. Basics of crude oil 101 kids.... Base oils that are refined from crude oil are colorless and pretty much odorless and are sold to the public as mineral oil. The crude oil is a combination of a lot of different chemicals, ranging from light gasoline types of fuels to waxes and tars. When you heat the crude oil, the gasoline and diesel oil boil off pretty early. Unfortunately, the mineral oil, paraffin, wax and tar molecules are all hooked up with each other, and it's not so easy to separate them from each other. Also, the crude oil contains the aforementioned aromatics, which are quite bad in your oil: they are very reactive, and when oxidized they cause all kinds of problems. Refining oil means trying to remove the bad stuff, while leaving the good stuff. The more bad stuff we remove, the better the oil works. So paraffin is in the crude day one....In 1959, Chevron developed a new method of refining base oils called Hydrocracking, where you process the raw oil at high temperatures and pressures with hydrogen and various catalysts. In Hydrocracking, many of the paraffin and wax molecules are broken up into mineral oil molecules, which increases the performance of the base oil dramatically. Also, far more of the aromatics and sulpher and nitrogen compounds are removed from the oil.
    Since 1990, Chevron's process has been improved. In 1993, Chevron invented the Hydro-Isomerization process, where wax and paraffin molecules are reshaped into useful lubricants instead of simply being broken up into smaller molecules. By increasing the severity of the hydrocracking process, increasing the temperature and pressure and processing time to process more and more of the unwanted wax and paraffin molecules, the oil's low and high temperature performance and resistance to oxidation can be improved to the point where the distinction between mineral oils and synthetics becomes blurred. Chevron now licenses this process, called Iso- DeWaxing. This process of oil refining is becoming more and more popular, and in 2004 accounts for almost half of all base oils. Iso- DeWaxing not only produces much higher-performance oil, but also allows you to start with lower quality crude oil, making us less dependent on the few countries that happen to produce the purest crude oils.So I hope you guys understand now...Paraffin/wax is native to crude oil. Hydrocracked base stocks have been around longer than most of you lil shits. All oils have "it" in the base stock and that is a good thing. And I hope you didn't fail to see the distinction between synthetics and conventionals is a blurred line now as the refining process has improved significantly.

I have to go shave my hands now...have a business meeting in a few hours. Seriously though....no oil causes sludge nor has candle wax in it guys......
    Last edited by Sarge; 08-25-2008 at 03:12 AM.

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

On sale at all nationwide Checkers Auto Parts stores through Sept 13th.
    i wish there was one in my area...

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    i wish there was one in my area...
    I'll buy some and mail it to you for a $3.00 charge per bottle

[]D [] []V[] []D
    1999 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by CamaroFan71 View Post
    I'll buy some and mail it to you for a $3.00 charge per bottle

Yo Da Lin The Valley..... astyles's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 99pewterta View Post
    the big bottle of pp at walmart comes out to about 4 dollars a bottle
    true.......

Post Base Stocks

All oil has a paraffin base and PP/or even the yellow bottle conventional has no more or less than any other oil.
    Furthermore folks confuse what exactly paraffin is in oil...they think it is the same as paraffin wax used in candles....nope...not even close.....This is leftover from the Pennzoil causes sludge myth from the 60's and 70's....I've read a mile of post on many forums and had many a face to face with folks who swear Pennzoil causes sludge....almost without exception it will end up with "well I know a mechanic who has rebuilt many engines and they were all sludged up and the driver used Pennzoil"......I always ask...."well has that same mechanic torn down a perfectly fine running engine running Pennzoil?"
    ...and of course the answer is always I dunno or of course not....here is the point......Oil..of any brand....is incapable of "making sludge"....Sludge is the result of A) inoperative PCV B) Ridiculous Oil Change Intervals C) Coolant leaks
    The Pennzoil causes sludge or is loaded with candle wax rumor/myth is just as seriously retarded as if you beat your meat you'll grow hair on your palms. Basics of crude oil 101 kids.... Base oils that are refined from crude oil are colorless and pretty much odorless and are sold to the public as mineral oil. The crude oil is a combination of a lot of different chemicals, ranging from light gasoline types of fuels to waxes and tars. When you heat the crude oil, the gasoline and diesel oil boil off pretty early. Unfortunately, the mineral oil, paraffin, wax and tar molecules are all hooked up with each other, and it's not so easy to separate them from each other. Also, the crude oil contains the aforementioned aromatics, which are quite bad in your oil: they are very reactive, and when oxidized they cause all kinds of problems. Refining oil means trying to remove the bad stuff, while leaving the good stuff. The more bad stuff we remove, the better the oil works. So paraffin is in the crude day one....In 1959, Chevron developed a new method of refining base oils called Hydrocracking, where you process the raw oil at high temperatures and pressures with hydrogen and various catalysts. In Hydrocracking, many of the paraffin and wax molecules are broken up into mineral oil molecules, which increases the performance of the base oil dramatically. Also, far more of the aromatics and sulpher and nitrogen compounds are removed from the oil.
    Since 1990, Chevron's process has been improved. In 1993, Chevron invented the Hydro-Isomerization process, where wax and paraffin molecules are reshaped into useful lubricants instead of simply being broken up into smaller molecules. By increasing the severity of the hydrocracking process, increasing the temperature and pressure and processing time to process more and more of the unwanted wax and paraffin molecules, the oil's low and high temperature performance and resistance to oxidation can be improved to the point where the distinction between mineral oils and synthetics becomes blurred. Chevron now licenses this process, called Iso- DeWaxing. This process of oil refining is becoming more and more popular, and in 2004 accounts for almost half of all base oils. Iso- DeWaxing not only produces much higher-performance oil, but also allows you to start with lower quality crude oil, making us less dependent on the few countries that happen to produce the purest crude oils.So I hope you guys understand now...Paraffin/wax is native to crude oil. Hydrocracked base stocks have been around longer than most of you lil shits. All oils have "it" in the base stock and that is a good thing. And I hope you didn't fail to see the distinction between synthetics and conventionals is a blurred line now as the refining process has improved significantly.

I have to go shave my hands now...have a business meeting in a few hours. Seriously though....no oil causes sludge nor has candle wax in it guys......
    I hate to muddy the water but what Sarge is referring to is what are called Group III base stocks. Group IV base stocks are a different story.

This is why some synthetic motor oils cost $4 to $6 per quart while others cost $8 to $10. It has to do with how the base stock is derived. Some are crude oil based, others are chemically engineered from pure chemicals.

CompSyn

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Mobil One USED to be a group IV base stock correct? Not anymore though.. Correct?

What oil sold now is a true Group IV base stock?

I just put PP in the TA and right after I left buying it I noticed a small shop that does tranny work advertising they sold Amsoil. How much extra is an oil change with Amsoil and what exactly am I getting that is so much better? I really am curious. It is such a great oil, I wanna know why... Then I will be buying that in 2500 miles. Plain and simple, I want the best oil in the TA, But I dont wanna get bent over because of some advertising bullshit.

Red Tint Jewelcoat
    2008 Trailblazer SS

I am going to stick with PP in my daily drivers, but the T/A is going to get Amsoil.

Now...I wish the Checker Auto here was actually running this sale. I would go stock up. I am sure I would clear their inventory.
    But...I was in there today. $6.69 a quart.

white
    90 Mustang 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Po View Post
    Mobil One USED to be a group IV base stock correct? Not anymore though.. Correct?

What oil sold now is a true Group IV base stock?

I just put PP in the TA and right after I left buying it I noticed a small shop that does tranny work advertising they sold Amsoil. How much extra is an oil change with Amsoil and what exactly am I getting that is so much better? I really am curious. It is such a great oil, I wanna know why... Then I will be buying that in 2500 miles. Plain and simple, I want the best oil in the TA, But I dont wanna get bent over because of some advertising bullshit.
    mobil 1 is basically an overpriced semi synthetic these days. You could get Motorcraft 5/20 or 5/30 semi synthetic for like 2.50 a qt versus whatever they are getting for mobil 1 now. Last I check it was in the 5-6 buck range. The motocraft shit is probably just as good as mobil 1 nowadays.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information