Thread: LS7 in 2001 SS

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

LS7 in 2001 SS

Hey. I have done the searches on this site so I don't need "that guy" to tell me to do a search. Anyway, I had an LS7 left over from a project that I sold. I was building a 1970 Camaro with all the pro-touring crap and I decided to sell that and everything that went with it. Except the LS7. I have had Texas Speed do a finer CNC cut on the heads and added a Mast Motorsports cam and spring kit. I also have an LSX-R 102mm intake with 102mm TB and a Holley Hi Ram. I see I can't fit the Hi Ram in my 2001 SS so I am going to use the FAST intake. I have searched the net and found a couple of cars (Katech and GMPP) that did this swap but I have not found any real good pics of the swap. Has anyone here done this swap? I have to finish my Laguna S3 project (496BBC with T56 Magnum) and then I am going to start collecting the parts I need for my LS7 SLP SS Camaro. My car has a 6 speed that has been built to Stage 3 specs, whatever that means, and long tube headers, Y-Pipe, .390 gears, and Texas Speed cam. Runs good now and only has 62000 miles. I will have to buy a new K-Member, clutch, and rear end. Any info would be helpful, unless you are the guy who says "DO A NEW BE SEARCH JERK". Don't be that guy. Thanks.
    Kevin

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Wow. You have us confused with another site. We NEVER tell someone to "go search" on here.

To my knowledge, we do not have an LS7 swap owner on the site -- but someone may chime in. The things that come to mind are oil pan selection and alternator placement. You already touched on hood clearance. I was looking forward to seeing your '70 completed -- we own one as well that is running a hopped up 350 with a Powerglide and an open rear (just to make it interesting).

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

I do miss my 70 Camaro project. I had to cut something loose and that one had to go. I have read everything that I could find and the oil pan will work with the aftermarket K-Member. You just can't drain the oil. You have to take a hose off the dry sump to that. As for the alternator, I have all of the accessories from the donor Z06 so the alternator is there. I have also been looking at swapping out the gauges for the Z06 gauges that I have. I think I can make it work. They look to be about the same size. I have the complete wiring harness so I would have to use some of that and some of the Camaro wires. BTW, good luck with your 70 project. On an open diff rear I usually just run a slick on one side...
    Last edited by REVINKEVIN963; 11-14-2018 at 08:55 AM.

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

I wish I could get this to fit in there. I really like the Holley Hi Ram.

Attachment 27004

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

VFN Performance may be able to help in an aftermarket hood.

Also you gotta use Photobucket or Flicker to post pics. I use flicker since Photobucket took my pics hostage 2 yrs ago.

Navy Blue Metallic

Every pic I've seen of the Hi Ram shows they've had to cut the cowl for clearance.

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

I have seen them have to trim the windshield on some installs. I will be using the FAST LSX-R intake with the cable operated 102mm tb. I guess I will be selling the Hi Ram. As for the photos, my Photobucket deal is just like yours. I had so many pics on there and now they are junk. I used the system the forum has to host a pic but I guess that doesn't work here. I have been on so many forums since they even invented forums. All have some different ways of doing things. What works on one is taboo on another. I just want peace on earth and a 600 hp Camaro that I can drive to work.

Navy Blue Metallic

The asshat that came up with the bright idea to do that was fired from Photobucket. I guess the mass revolt from users hurt them in the pocket that they no longer do that anymore.

I have a 403ci, the block is a LQ4. I use the FAST 102 and a Nick Williams 102mm TB. Make sure you put some loctite on the bolts on that clamp the intake shell together. I learned the hard way that the nuts can back off. It made it a mofo bitch trying to figure out why I couldn't get it tuned.

The bolts that mount it to the heads on mine are machine head, I took the hex head socket that fit and cut the post down some so I could use the ratchet on it and still have clearance.

Like Jeff stated get the right oil pan, also look at LS3 accessories, they will give you options for room and placement. I didn't drill the block for the alternator to go back in the LS1 position, Didn't want it there anyways cause the damn PS pump would leak and kill it. So I took a page from the turbo guys and relocated it to the passenger head.
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/f7/my-6-liter-build-174257/

http://www.ls1.com/forums/f8/my-8-8-rear-build-165553/

6.0L Block - Forged 403ci , Polluter Stg3 Cam, FAST 102mm Intake, NW102 TB, MSD wires, NGK TR6 plugs, Truck Coil Packs, LS3 Fuel Injectors, CC Pacesetter LT Headers, TS&P ORY, QTP e-Cutout, Magnaflow Muffler, 104mm Air Lid & Line Lock, Catch Can, Stage 2 T56 w/Viper shaft, PRO 5.0 Shifter, Tick MC, SPEC Stg3+ Clutch, QT SFI BH, MWC DSL, Full UMI Performance Suspension, Belstein Shocks, Hotchkis Springs (1" Drop), YR1 Snowflake Wheels wrapped in NT555 tires & Custom Fab Ford 8.8 rear w/Wavetrac Diff 3.73 Yukon Gears, WSQ Hood, 3"CM Strange Eng Drive Shaft.

00 FB Vert - Stock

78 FB - Just getting started......

Horsepower never lies, but is often lied about!

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

Roger that. Thanks. And, I just signed up for that Flickr thing. More stuff to keep up with.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Jeremy was running a high rise intake on his car -- the cowl was significantly cut out to accommodate it, but overall it did not look too bad imo. The setup I really thought looked good was Brent's Kinsler Fuel Injection manifold -- so clean and no cutting required (that I know of).

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

Just working on adding pics with this for
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by REVINKEVIN963; 11-14-2018 at 05:02 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Ship that up to PA and I'll be happy to work out all the fitment issues and then let you know what to do!

Navy Blue Metallic

LS7 in 2001 SS

I was thinking that too....well to Alabama, not PA. It would become a Garage Queen, I'd treat it like a Therobread and run it....

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

Choices, choices. PA or AL??? I have to finish this car first and then I am going to get started on the LS7 SS.

45851756932_a8c92e43cf_c.jpg

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

That looks like a sweet ride. Details?

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

It's a 1976 Chevrolet Laguna S3. I have finished the suspension and have the interior completely redone in black. I had an extra frame so I put everything that Global West had on it. These cars won the NASCAR championship in 76 and 77 and Ford complained so much they quit using it. Here is a pic of the engine. It's actually a 496 but the 427 valve covers look to good. Thanks.

So much for the pic. It says I have exceeded my limit. I guess I need to post more to get some forum respect. Maybe later.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

S3's are rare birds these days. Good car to hang onto.

White
    2001 SLP SS Camaro

Yes, I think so. I used to eat with a Cale Yarborough Laguna placemat under my plate as a young man. I saw a Joe Rogan interview with Dale Jr on YouTube last night. Under the subject of classic cars they showed a pic of Jr’s Laguna. Mine will be faster.

Thread Information