Ls swap the world

What all am I missing to do a 4.8 swap in a 83 s10 blazer I know I need a wiring harness, gauges, modded h3 oil pan, custom mounts and a tranny... I want to keep the blazer a 5 speed or 6 (if you will) but what mess am I getting into as far as a teremec product and making the vehicle an awd

Also the blazer is a 4x4

LS swaps in 4x4's get very expensive very quickly. I've been down this road. You'll have to look at Advance Adapters and see if they offer the adapters necessary for the particular transfer case you are running and for which transmission you decide to go with. Be prepared to spend about $1500 or more here.

Dimensions are critical because if you move the transfer case at all you'll be making not 1, but 2 new driveshafts at $300-$400 a piece, not to mention any levers that may be inside the truck will move that can interfere with consoles and the like, and any frame mods and mounts that need massaged when you move a transfer case. It really opens up a can of worms.

For those reasons I listed above is exactly why I went with a 4L60E in my swap instead of the 4L80E, so I could leave the transfer case in it's original location.

After it's mounted, your wire harness and gauges are figured out, you'll also need to think about revamping the fuel system. Inline pumps are popular because they are cheap, but I'll tell you first hand they'll only last so long. Usually 5-6,000 miles and they'll leave you stuck somewhere. You are much better off doing an in-tank pump setup. It costs more initially but saves you in the long run. These are just some things to think about, but you'll find much more once to dig in.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    LS swaps in 4x4's get very expensive very quickly. I've been down this road. You'll have to look at Advance Adapters and see if they offer the adapters necessary for the particular transfer case you are running and for which transmission you decide to go with. Be prepared to spend about $1500 or more here.

Dimensions are critical because if you move the transfer case at all you'll be making not 1, but 2 new driveshafts at $300-$400 a piece, not to mention any levers that may be inside the truck will move that can interfere with consoles and the like, and any frame mods and mounts that need massaged when you move a transfer case. It really opens up a can of worms.

For those reasons I listed above is exactly why I went with a 4L60E in my swap instead of the 4L80E, so I could leave the transfer case in it's original location.

After it's mounted, your wire harness and gauges are figured out, you'll also need to think about revamping the fuel system. Inline pumps are popular because they are cheap, but I'll tell you first hand they'll only last so long. Usually 5-6,000 miles and they'll leave you stuck somewhere. You are much better off doing an in-tank pump setup. It costs more initially but saves you in the long run. These are just some things to think about, but you'll find much more once to dig in.
    So in your 2 penny's tell me how stout you think the 4l60e is, I plan on running a tsp cam either a 224/224 or 228/228 but installing the 228/228 is a whole different can of worms as far as the engine goes, I know in the automatic, I've heard a decent set up would be like the 4l75e and a t3 transfer case... reason I plan to do a awd set up is I'm praying for less wheel spin at W.O.T. don't get me wrong all the 2wd swaps seem fun and all but why not something different ..... whatever route I take I'm sure will be different from now all its got going for it is a comps cam 260h in that 2.8 v6 ...

I didn't drop a stock 4L60 in mine. I wasn't going to put a used 4L60 in without knowing what kind of shape it was in anyway, and I knew a rebuild would be the only thing that satisfied me, so I beefed it at the same time, 5 pinion planet, beast sun shell, colleen steels, etc...Did it right the first time.

I put a 6.0 LQ4 in front of it, in a 5,000 lbs 72 4x4 blazer and abused it. Drove it daily for 2-3 years and ran 14.30's at the track. Trans worked flawless.

With the 4L80 I had, I would have just ran with it as it came, but the extra length opened a can of worms as I explained above.

For a little 4.8 with the cam you're thinking, it's not going to be a big torque monster. I'd have no problem what so ever putting a 4L60 behind that.

Well I wasn't planing on build a full on race car but rather a daily driver I was going to do a 350 swap but as the trend goes now a days it's not cost effective when you weigh out the money and hp

Mine wasn't anything close to resembling a race car. The blazer was strictly a daily driver before the swap and continued to be a daily driver after. I only ran it at the track for giggles. I was only using this example to illustrate why a 4L60 is still a viable choice.

Not really a need to spend more money on a 4L70 or 75 for your swap unless for any other reason than to just find a really low mile example that you want to try to run as purchased and drop it in. Newer trans is easier to find with less miles.

Alright so here's my next question what awd t case will work with the 4l60e?

The adapters available and what you want to spend is going to dictate your choice in transfer cases.

My 72 blazer had a factory cast iron 205 case, nearly bulletproof. Advance Adapters had the necessary adapters to make this work with the 4L60E and the 4L80E.

They have other adapters to fit various transfer cases, I'd check out their site and see what you come up with. I'm Not familiar with the little jimmys and what transfer cases they may have come with throughout the 80's and 90's but chances are good there's an adapter for it.

Quite honest I'm pretty sure I'm going to ditch the transfer case it's got now I'm sure it will not take much power

Thread Information