Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

white
    2007 FJ

LS swap to a Toyota FJ

Hi
    I just joined and am beginning to do the initial swap details, I will need.
    My FJ Cruiser is already built, but is getting high in miles, plus I want to have more power.
    I figure instead of buying new, I could do a LS swap and have the best of both worlds
    From what I understand I need to swap it for a 07 up, to keep within emissions compliance.
    I am looking to keep it mid range at about 450/450 hp torque. Maybe a 4L80e trans, mated to either a atlas transfer case, or something suitable. Then the last piece would be upgrading the rear dif to a 9 or rock jock.
    This is just a basic idea of what I want.
    I'm looking for some opinions on my direction and a rough wild number, to aim at for cost. I would like to do it as reasonably as possible, but not go cheap.
    I have done all the mod on my truck, suspension , regeared, most electrical, etc. I want to be very involved in the swap. I would need help in area, but can do much.
    I think the stand alone management system would be the most pain free. plus to get a donor with accessories and serpentine system.

Thanks in advance for your input.
    Don

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

what will the FJ be used for? Trail or street? I ask because trail use would require a built rear while street not so much. If I was looking for a trail rig I would consider a Dana 60 over a 9".

What do you mean "looking for a 07' and up for emissions compliance"

Like most swaps you'll have many issues you'll have to deal with. PCM, wire harness, radiator placement, engine mounts, new transmission cross member. You have many options.

Please post pics and update as the build goes. We love seeing that stuff here.

Are you talking about swapping an LS motor into a late model FJ Cruiser? That would be quite the undertaking. You would be much better off rebuilding and modifying the 4.0l V6. I've read about Land Cruiser swaps but don't know of anyone that's put a V8 into an FJ cruiser. I'd love to see the build though so please post pics if you go through with it.

white
    2007 FJ

Quote Originally Posted by SMWS6TA View Post
    what will the FJ be used for? Trail or street? I ask because trail use would require a built rear while street not so much. If I was looking for a trail rig I would consider a Dana 60 over a 9".
    Great questions
    My truck is used like it was meant to be

Since the FJ is comfortable, it works well for a daily driver
    It's also very capable (especially built) I have about 128000 miles on the odo. If my FJ wasn't on a trail, it was going to one, for about 70 % of its life. I also pull trailers, such as my camper and a 6x10 enclosed work trailer for my business. I am totally happy with my truck except for the lack of power.
    My motor burns no oil and I probably would expect another 150, 000 out of it , before a major overhaul( it just runs good all the time ) I would be more concerned with the longevity of the transmission. I just see it as the weak link .
    The point behind my prevailing swap would be to answer the power question, with a steadfast platform .
    If I did a v-8 toyota motor swap it would get very expensive, because it's expensive :-)
    I have not done all the leg work on which rear dif would be better but it would be between and 9 and a Dana . Thank you for the Dana suggestion

What do you mean "looking for a 07' and up for emissions compliance"

I have been told that I need to use a 07 or up donor motor to help plead my case for com-pliancy with emissions. There is a way to do it and I am in conversation with a LS swap guy, that can make it happen. (Since I wrote the first post)

Like most swaps you'll have many issues you'll have to deal with. PCM, wire harness, radiator placement, engine mounts, new transmission cross member. You have many options.
    I have actually met with him and we did some measurements.
    The width will be no problem, as the LS is actually 3 inches more narrow, than the 1 gr-fe that is currently in my truck. The length will work fina as I have about 6" in front of the water pump pulley. Engine mounts looks straight forward. He siad there is as much room between the frame ralis and any Chevy truck he has swapped. Motor mounts, cross members etc , are just some fab work that isn't a big deal. Electric fans will be used, with a possibility of using the FJ radiator. I live in AZ and my temp gauge never moves from it's 192 F Temp, by my scan gauge. He makes all of his own harnesses and said this is just a time thing. He wants to piggyback a stand alone pcm, to the toyota ecu, so we can retain everything but the engine management.
    Fuel system will probably be fine except for adding a larger volume fuel pump. he also thought block hugger headers, would work with the room I have. I would have them ceramic coated inside and out.

He does complicated swaps all the time, but has never actually done one on Toyota. He Actually is jazzed to have this one under his belt.
    My goal will be to create some type of a swap kit for Fj's and Tacoma's .

Please post pics and update as the build goes. We love seeing that stuff here.
    Quote Originally Posted by rc74racer View Post
    Are you talking about swapping an LS motor into a late model FJ Cruiser? That would be quite the undertaking. You would be much better off rebuilding and modifying the 4.0l V6. I've read about Land Cruiser swaps but don't know of anyone that's put a V8 into an FJ cruiser. I'd love to see the build though so please post pics if you go through with it.
    Perfect
    I wouldn't want to necessarily take on a project like this, unless I know it would be unique.

We am ready to move forward. which means setting funds aside to finance this project. My wife humor me and allows me to come up with ideas and make them happen. She just need to know what my goals are and she does her best to figure out how we fund them.

A little background on my build , will give you some sense of why this has been taken

I have done many custom mods to my truck and I do them MY way .
    I have a complete 8 camera off-road system, that I can do all my own rock spotting. I have an overhead console with dual switchers and 4 so I can pick the views I need .
    Attached is a link to one of my build pages on the FJ Cruiser forum.
    I will also post a few pic, if I am allowed to .
    This build will be well documented and updated on the forums as I advance . It may just take a few months to actually get the ball rolling
    Thanks for the suggestions. I look forward to being a member here
    Don

"WIKID" My other gal - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

white
    2007 FJ

A few pics

Sedona AZ

white
    2007 FJ

I did write out a detailed reply that will not post until the moderators approve it? How long before you can simply post and see it right away The quick post options seem to be able to be posted right away. but not posting the other way.
    thanks

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

What problems do you anticipate having? I imagine that an LS would rip the guts out of that FJ. With the torque levels you are looking for, that is. Do you plan on installing a long travel suspension to take advantage of the speed that you will be able to achieve on the trail? I wonder about the size of the fender flares you would need to install. There is a member on here that has both a WS6 and an FJ. He is also a member of a club. I'll let him know of this thread, and he'll chime in shortly. As far as the posts go, get your count up. I think it is ten to really get rolling. Good luck with the build.

white
    2007 FJ

The problems that having me scratching my head right now are simple
    I don't have measurements of everything involved, so my concern is the total length of the powerplant to the transfer case.
    I want to avoid moving the fuel tank, yet have the transfer case clocked up over the frame rails. This would yield better than 3inches break over , from stock.
    I am not so much concerned with trail speed, since I do more rock crawling, expedition stuff. I am a finesse minded and will only use, a small portion of the power, to do obstacles etc. I am keeping the front differential, as is, for now Fender flares are no issue because the width of the Ls is less than the 1gr-fe that is in it currently
    thanks

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I don't want to dampen your spirit, but what do you want all that power for, then? I was envisioning a Raptor eater from hell, but it sounds like you want a rock crawler. No offense, but if you are looking for a unique, nostalgic approach, making an early Toyota engine work for what you need in my opinion would be a better approach. It's an updated throwback. Don't think I am trying to stop you, I, along with everyone else on this board, always love to see LS power in something exotic.

white
    2007 FJ

I will definitely be using the power. I travel to many events The power on the highway is lacking. I pull a camper and sometimes a enclosed trailer. When I drive the mountains I hate the power struggle pulling hills.
    I will do some fun stuff off-road. I may eventually even do long travel in the rear. it just isn't in this phase of the plan. I have many heavy mods on my truck. The detailed post I am waiting to get ok'ed has one of my build pages. You will see that this is a little different, than most. I gave thought to a s/c or having a custom turbo set up. but in the long run I wanted to do something a little different than most.
    Last edited by wikidfj; 08-24-2012 at 08:50 PM.

white
    2007 FJ

I will definitely be using the power. I travel to many events The power on the highway is lacking. I pull a camper and sometimes a enclosed trailer. When I drive the mountains I hate the power struggle pulling hills.
    I will do some fun stuff off-road. I may eventually even do long travel in the rear. it just isn't in this phase of the plan. I have many heavy mods on my truck. The detailed post I am waiting to get ok'ed has one of my build pages. You will see that this is a little different, than most. I gave thought to a s/c or having a custom turbo set up. but in the long run I wanted to do something a little different than most.
    Here is my build thread on another forum
    You will see the evolution of my mods and how I eventually got to this point.
    "WIKID" My other gal - Toyota FJ Cruiser Forum

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

Quote Originally Posted by wikidfj View Post
    I gave thought to a s/c or having a custom turbo set up. but in the long run I wanted to do something a little different than most.
    And have NA power. Now I get you. You want to have the fastest camper in the site. Hat's off to ya.

white
    2007 FJ

Besides the practical reasons, I do many things because I love doing involved projects. Like many here , sometimes stuff shouldn't be left stock or even left alone. It's in me to do stuff I envision
    You will see the very involved camera system, I have created, when my build page gets up here. I can do all of my own rock spotting and have driven a off-road course with all of my windows covered . why did I create it? Because I wanted too.

Black
    2001 WS6

Hey, Im the one with the ws6 and the fj. Your build sounds ambitious. Id also hit up the fjcruiserforms dot com because i remember hearing something about this before a while ago. I'm not sure how you'd work all the mechanics of it, but know that the front end of the fj is not very strong.. If you look in your engine bay on the inside of the fenders, you may see cracks. A friend of mine told me that that would have to be welded. That what happend in toyota is that they made it out of cheap aluminum. Thats what my man worry would be. So you'll have to reinforce everything. If you go to azfj dot org, talk to tibaal, he's doing his truck up baja style, and might be able to help. If you want to wheel sometime, let me know. I try to go out once a week. I have a page on facebook called AZ TREK. Hope to see you around, and good luck with the build

white
    2007 FJ

I am a moderator on the fj cruiser forum and a founding member of the azfj I was at Sedonafest with Tibaal. last weekend.
    I'm sure we know eachother LOL . I'll definitely do a trail with you.
    The fenders are not the weak point, it's the frame flex . Which will be addressed by bracing front and back over the motor and re enforcing shock towers, gusseting the frame and custom motor, trans and transfer case mounts

Black
    2001 WS6

Thats right, the frame flex. Good, then from what it sounds like you know what you're doing. As long as that engine fits in there you're gold. I mean..if people can fit it into an rx7...or a miata..you should have NO problem putting it into an fj. Whats your name on the site? wikid sounds familiar... im captain crunch

white
    2007 FJ

I saw you there earlier
    i am puulboy on that forum
    I haven't let the cat out of the bag there.. that why I'm here doing research. mums the word right now.
    thanks

Black
    2001 WS6

lol no worry. mum's the word. I hardly talk on there anymore anyway so its all good. I've seen your fj around. It looks good. Do you have a doner ls1?

white
    2007 FJ

No I don't. I will be looking but I need to allocate money for it

Nice FJ. I looked at them with my ex and we ended up with a tacoma instead that was her choice so she kept it. You could use a late model silverado as a donor get the engine, tranny and transfer case. You say you are keeping the front diff do you really think it can handle 450lbs of tq? I would think a straight axle conversion would be necessary to handle all the power with your goals you are talking twice the amount of hp and tq. You might also need to alter the firewall and floor pans/trans tunnel for this. You will need custom driveshafts as well. The more time you spend measuring and planning the better off you will be. Guys spend 20k+ to put late model hemis in jeeps and there are kits for that. It would be one bad ass FJ though and I really like the look of them. Be prepared to spend serious coin on this it's a one off and will require custom parts and fab work.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information