Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Silver
    1999 Trans-Am, 2012 Sonic

Fox LS Drag Pack

Well thanks to PaJeff for inviting me to Beaver Springs Raceway I have been bitten by my life long dream and build and drive a full time drag car.
    I have been always interested in and involved with racing in some form or another all my life from friends Hill climbing, GNNC, Dirt Drags, Asphalt circle track racing with friends and family. Now I'm at a point that (I Think) I can afford to build my own.
    I have been attending Track days with my Trans Am and have built it to with stand the pounding racing puts on them. However 2-3 times a year are not enough so I'm looking for a more dedicated track car so if somethings should happen my baby won't be affected. I still plan on track days with the T/A but 1-2 per year.

I recently purchased a 89 Mustang Fox Body from a friend who bought it to possibly build a drag car but decided to go another route.
    The car has been garage keep for many years and is void of motor. I released all the interior along with the Ford Trans to him to cut the price also he had another fox for sale and those parts made it more complete.
    My plans are to transplant a LS 5.3 truck motor under the hood and a auto Transmission, N/A for now with headers and cam to get things started and end goal is for a Turbo application.
    I also have plans to get my daughter behind the wheel so starting soft before big power is a good idea. My time frame is to hopefully have it track ready sometime next year as $$$ will determine how things go.
    Last edited by kingls1; 05-15-2016 at 07:52 AM.
    99 Trans Am, SLP Lid, Blackwing filter, smooth bellow, Ported TB, LS6 intake, Ws6 lower ram air box, OBX LT's, Magna Flow cat back, LS7 clutch, Tick MC, Hurst Shifter, Frost Tune, UMI SFC,LAC, STB, PB, Torq Arm, Super Hawk hood, Torq Thrust II, Kee Audio.
    Strange S60 4:10's, D&S Rotors, S/S Brake Lines.
    Nitto NT05R Track Tire's, 12.7 @ 108 / 1.82 60'
    Wish list.
    Coil overs, Heads & Cam

Silver

Here is the car, thing is super solid with NO Rust anywhere already has some drag wheels and a fiberglass hood. Interior is gutted and ready for 10 point Roll cage and racing seats

Silver

Here is the motor 2004 5.3LS from a Chevy truck that was wrecked from a side hit to the cab area. I completed the deal for motor and Complete wiring harness, PCM, and fuse block for a cool $500

Silver

Motor power washed and some parts removed

Silver

Preparing motor for paint.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Subscribed! Very cool to have a devoted track car. Maybe someday...

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Fox LS Drag Pack

nice plan. Don't forget to tape off the exhaust ports before paint

Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Zapper2003 View Post
    nice plan. Don't forget to tape off the exhaust ports before paint
    Thanks, I will be keeping the heads natural and pulling off water pump and painting valve cover's and pump separate from block.

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

Fox LS Drag Pack

gotcha

Silver

Here are a few pics of engine make over.

Silver

Silver

Nothing better for the Ford purists is when your powering your Mustang with a Chevy plant is to add a little Chevy orange to insure there is no mistaking it....

Silver

Water pump needs painting, coil brackets. Looking at some cam choices while it is apart. Nothing to extreme because I hope to go turbo at some point so that will have to change. Also looking for a intake, fuel rail and injectors. I really wish I wouldn't have sold my LS1 intake after my LS6 swap...If anyone knows where there is any of those parts laying around PM me....

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looking good!

Unfortunately, I have none of those parts stockpiled.

Silver

Just a little update, have been working on a parts list as well as picking up some things along the way. I picked up a 4L60E Transmission from my Good Friend PaJeff along with tourqe converter ( still looking for tail shaft housing if anyone has one laying around pm me ) so that pretty much completes the drive train also just got a Trans Am Shifter that looks like a great mount to fit the mustang tunnel.
    Possibly ordering the K-Member and Trans mount to try to maybe get the motor and Trans in their new home before winter so I can start seeing what else is needed.
    Parts list has just hit the $ 3,000 mark with every thing new so anything used will cut that price down.
    Cage, seats and belts will all be new as safety is #1...
    Updates to come...

Neat. I bought an 89 5.0 LX a couple years ago for my son to drive. A bone stocker with 240,000 miles on it now and still runs like a swiss watch. I keep telling my son when that little 302 gives up we'll do an LS swap, lol.
    He's gotten bit by the resto bug so much so that he keeps telling me he wants to keep the original engine in place, but I'm working on him

I researched the swap last year for mounts and headers. This swap has gotten so popular now that the aftermarket has stepped up. There are several of them running around here with LS power.
    The only thing I had not finished research on was making the stock tach work and the original cruise control, since I want a complete stock appearing swap with AC and all accessories functional. My swap will take some doing to make things work without cutting and modifying the original stuff. Then I sit back and think how easy it would be to just rebuild the original engine, make a 347 out of it, everything goes back on the way it should, and have fun that way. I haven't looked into it for a while now as my son is back in school and driving it.

You're in a completely different playing field starting with a body and no engine. That makes the LS choice a no brainer for me, LOL

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

FBJ, that's when you take them in the LS powered vehicle and show him what's he's missing....

My daughter has been bite as well and she's 13. She wants me to get her a Firebird, no Camaro for her. She also knows Mustangs are not allowed at my house. Sorry Jeff

Also Jeff that particular Mustang with LS power is going to be a wicked evil car. I have a friend that has a LS1 with a Carb/N20 setup and it's got some serious potential. When it was in his LT1 style Camaro it ran pretty fast. Now that he's transplant it into a similar Mustang he's having to put in a roll cage.
    Last edited by SMWS6TA; 08-09-2016 at 11:10 AM.

Silver

I can't wait to get rolling on it however I'm just a normal dude and can't afford to just go wild so as things come they come. I knew all along I was building a LS car of some sort but after coming across this car as solid as it is and doing a little research it was a easy decision, and I think it should be a quick car as I'm trying to get it as light as possible....
    FBJ the aftermarket scene for LS swap is Awsome for these cars but as you said keeping the original plant would be a lot simpler especially with gauges and interior parts working as they should. I'm gutting it completely with lexan Windows with maybe a tack and a few small gauges...I'm sending the harness from the truck out to get reworked and set up for what I need...

I agree, and what you're doing really simplifies the swap. I wouldn't hesitate with that decision if I were in your shoes.

What I want can be done, I just haven't decided if I want to go through all the headaches (and lots of money) to make it happen. Keeping it completely stock appearing and functional is a must, and maybe run a small drag radial on it. I'm certain with an LS swap, small cam and converter, I could easily get the car to run deep 11's. It only weighs 3140 lbs. and that's loaded with options (cruise, air, windows, locks etc..) It would make a fun daily driver for sure. On the other hand, for me, a 347 stroker would also get the car in the 11's with a lot less fuss.

You can gut these things and get them to 2800 lbs or less fairly easy. 4 link rear with an 8.8 already there and plenty of aftermarket suspension support. They are excellent platforms for what you want to do. I want to see the end result with that thing dragging the bumper

Silver

Preparing to get started and one piece of the puzzle is a way to and from the track and after looking and laughing at the crazy amounts of money people want for trailers that are either in need of repairs or just not what I want so my wife said go buy what you want "why settle " she said so dammit I don't want to disappoint her so I did....2017 Sure-trac 82x18' steel deck...

Oh yeah the Trans Am also fits nicely for up coming track days
    Last edited by kingls1; 03-06-2017 at 06:44 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information