Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

'87 Monte SS LS2/4L60e2 swap

Hello all,

I introduced myself in the new member section but its time to get to business. I bought a LS2/4L60e from an '06 GTO with 23K miles to swap into the Monte. I have the hot rod package from BRP Hot Rods, which include:

1" set back motor mounts/LH8 oil pan/Long tube headers

The reprogrammed LS1 PCM and wiring harness are from PSI Conversion. I also needed an alternator from an LS1 Fbody to clear the steering gear.
    A relocation bracket for the AC compressor was needed to clear the frame rails, thus avoiding notching the frame.

I also needed a different transmission crossmember for dual exhaust. Going to use one from G force.

I also have a Quick Performance 9" Ford, modded for a G body and Yukon rear disk brakes. (somewhere I have a pic )

I've also bought reinforcing braces for the frame, which will see double the power it was designed for. So I bought a brace from Kirban Performance to stiffen and tie the front frame rails and a rear seat brace used by the Turbo Buick guys. I just recently replaced all of the body bushings. That should help to prevent body twist. I'm not going to be running slicks, so the street tires should break loose before any damage is done to the car's structure.

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

Things I still need to get:

Cat back system...dual cats
    Tranny slip yoke and drive shaft
    Radiator hoses (will be using the stock Monte radiator) ........NEED HELP HERE
    Power steering lines. .................................................. .....NEED HELP HERE
    Tachchanger module for using stock tachometer
    Speedometer....................................... ..........................Don't know what I'm going to do yet
    Drill and tap 1/4 NPT to use original oil pressure sending unit for stock gauge.
    Find a mounting place for stock water temp sending unit to use with stock gauge.
    Wire it up to the vehicle........................................... ........NEED HELP HERE!!

I should also mention that I bought a TANKS Inc. conversion kit to use fuel injection with. I've already started to mod the tank.

I was also told to get a hold of LT1 fans because of their high flow rate, so that's what I did.

Any help, suggestions or advice is welcomed!
    Last edited by Monte SS LS2; 01-01-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks like a great start.

Depending upon the inlet and outlet size on your radiator, you can start with a set of Camaro hoses to give you an idea of where things need to be in order to connect. There are aluminum tubes available in various lengths and you can always make the connections utilizing 90 degree hose elbows and a section of tube. Nice thing about the LS is that the top hose is a straight shot in.

Your P/S hoses are simply a high and low pressure hose and should be fairly easy to route. You can Google for some pics of LS engines in other G-bodies and maybe find a good one to go by. The brackets for the A/C compressor really throw that thing out there - but you have to go with whatever clears for a swap. Are you mounting a fuel pressure regulator on the rail, or is there one included in the drop in part of the tank assembly?

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

I'll look up some images for the radiator hoses but aren't the radiator hoses both on the same side on LS1 Fbodies? Since I will be using a stock '87 Monte radiator, the inlet and outlet go to different sides of the radiator.

As far as the power steering hoses go, I was hoping for a direct application (wishful thinking, right?) I remember reading some years ago on a LT1 swap, where the stock Cadillac lines were used with no modifications needed. If I could find something like that, even better.

There is a C5 corvette style pressure regulator/filter. So the feed and return line plumb up to it then its just the feed line to the engine. I'll most likely bolt the regulator/filter to the frame rail.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Stock F-body setup is that the top hose runs to the driver side and the bottom hose to the passenger side of the radiator. Same routing as old school, only difference being that the thermostat is at the end of the bottom hose rather than the upper.

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

Thanks, I'll look into that. If that doesn't work, I'll try Gates 21837 for the top hose. I saw a Regal on this site running that hose.

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

I found an upper hose to fit perfectly. I also bought the lower hose of a 5.3 Tahoe...it's a little too long but the shape is right. I'll just trim to fit.

As for the power steering hoses, I did manage to fit the stock hoses. Although the pressure hose looks a little snaked, it should be ok. If I find something better, I'll switch.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Looks good!

Primer
    1964 ChevyII Nova

unfortunately, the LS motor is one you cannot use the oil filter sandwich plate for gauges. That is going to be a killer Monte though!

Black
    2001 B4C Camaro

Subscribed to this thread. Looks like this will be a nice build
    2001 B4C Camaro
    LS1 lid
    Speed Engineering 1-7/8 headers and y pipe
    Borla Catback

SOLD!!!
    1998 Trans AM M6
    Corsa Catback,Kooks 1-7/8 Long tubes,Kooks 3 inch Y-Pipe with High Flow Cats, MGW shifter, 4:10's

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

I've found the solution I was looking for....at least for the stock Monte oil pressure sending unit.

Oil Filter Adapter Cover for LS1, LS6 C5 Corvette - 12551587 12551587

If anyone here has one that hasn't been drilled or tapped, even better. I'll buy here first before going to this source or eBay. I should also note that I bought and installed a throttle cable bracket, since I'm going drive by cable.

I also bought and installed a throttle cable from a 2002 Trans Am (non traction control). Finally got around to installing the AC condenser from a '87 Grand National (regal style) that has the ports on the passenger side, which is opposite of the Monte. Works out better too because the AC compressor is on the passenger side on the LS2.

I picked up a new Olds Cutlass Supreme radiator top plate to make things look cleaner...New part, never installed. Kinda cool!

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

I was able to find an oil block off plate with smooth boss. I need to drill and tap for 1/4" NPT. with that, I'll be able to use the stock Monte sending unit and gauge.

Silver
    '02 Trans Am WS-6, 6M

This thread makes me really miss my '86 Cutlass Supreme. G bodies are such an awesome platform!! Good luck on this project!

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

There is an '87 Cutlass Supreme one block away from me, under a cover and in great shape. I see 80's 442's every now and again. I wouldn't mind a GNX!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Love '80s G-bodies. We have two in our stable. Passed up on a nice deep burgandy T-top 442 about two years ago.

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Love '80s G-bodies. We have two in our stable. Passed up on a nice deep burgandy T-top 442 about two years ago.
    I was reading an old thread on your '85 Monte SS. Real nice! Do you still have it?

You mentioned having 2 G bodies in your stable, so I know one is the Grand National and the other is the Monte (I'm assuming). G bodies are great cruisers but need a whole lot of mods if you want to make road course competitors of them....strengthening the frame, etc.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

We never sell our cars... just keep building more garages to park them in! Put some miles on the Monte this year tripping around to area events. It also serves as our track car for friends who want to experience drag racing and make some passes on their own. The other G-body is an '87 Turbo Regal we picked up in 2013. There is a thread on what we have done to it as well in our Classic Muscle section.

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

Never sell? Lol My Wife knows I'm on the hunt for a '96 Impala SS. She knew better than to tell me to sell one of my other toys to fund the next.

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

Can you bolt in a LS1 style knock sensor in the stock location of an LS2? Without any moddifications?

White
    1987 Monte Carlo SS

Anyone?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information