Rio Red
    1988 Chrysler Conquest

1988 Chrysler Conquest TSI LR4 Swap

Has anyone had the privilege of doing a SBC swap on a Chrysler Conquest? If so can you give me some insight on what I'll be running into? I had wanted one of these cars since I was 17. I got lucky enough to buy one a couple years ago in near mint condition. I wanted to keep it as original as possible as Autoweek said it would probably be the first JDM car to hold some serious collector value. Well, after two years of dealing with that dismal little 2.6 turbo I am saying "screw it" and dropping one of those little diamond in the rough 4.8's in it. That 2.6 is like dating a supermodel. She is temperamental, moody, high maintenance and any other adjective you can think of to describe one. I can drop one of those in there. spend about 2K on it and have in the neighborhood of 476 fwhp. I will eventually (When the budget allows) go back and turbo it as I'd like to keep the "TSI" a "TSI" and turbo charging is just way to much fun. Anyways if anyone has had experience with this any and all advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Welcome to the site!

Heck, you almost never see those cars anymore. I may have spotted one in the last 5 years out on the road. I remember when they came out back in the day - very cool looking ride. Congrats and good luck with the project.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I have a buddy who has had 2 of them. He opted to put in the supra inline 6 turbo engine in there. I believe he is making well over 600hp to the rear wheels with a big single turbo. The car is cool looking even being as old as it is. He will be down Ocean City MD for cruising week this upcoming week. He also has a buddy with a blue one.

Rio Red
    1988 Chrysler Conquest

Thanks for the support

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    I have a buddy who has had 2 of them. He opted to put in the supra inline 6 turbo engine in there. I believe he is making well over 600hp to the rear wheels with a big single turbo. The car is cool looking even being as old as it is. He will be down Ocean City MD for cruising week this upcoming week. He also has a buddy with a blue one.
    Yeah they are pretty amazing little vehicles. I didn't realize until I bought one. When I was young they just looked super cool to me and that's why I wanted one so bad. What I didn't know until I bought one is the following. It being an 88 they had heated mirrors, digital climate control, staggered 16" wheels factory, McPherson double wishbone independent suspension, adjustable seat leg supports, and my personal favorite is the fuse box. to this day I do not know why they do not utilize the same type of fuse panel. The fuse panel in this car has a slider in between the two columns of fuses. It also has an led light at the top. If you move the slider up and down and pass by a faulty fuse the led lights up and lets you know the fuse is bad. How cool is that? Anyways, I did think about a 2JZ swap. you can get a 2JZ fairly inexpensive out of a Lexus SC300, 400, or any of the LS cars. Now the 2JZ GTE is another story. Those are ridiculous expensive. I figure in the long run the LR4 will be about as dependable and a hell of a lot cheaper to repair as well as make more power if the money is right. Thanks again for the support and I'll post project progress. I managed to get the hood off yesterday.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Well I can tell ya that you are way better off with the LS1 based engine swap. My buddy has gone through 2 motors and 3 tranny's. Now keep in mind he is pushing way more power through this motor then the factory ever thought about doing, but I think the v8 rumble and more power potential for the cheaper investment, you are WAY better off with the GM powerplant.

Rio Red
    1988 Chrysler Conquest

Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by RONS98TA View Post
    Well I can tell ya that you are way better off with the LS1 based engine swap. My buddy has gone through 2 motors and 3 tranny's. Now keep in mind he is pushing way more power through this motor then the factory ever thought about doing, but I think the v8 rumble and more power potential for the cheaper investment, you are WAY better off with the GM powerplant.
    I could certainly do something more exotic but I don't really want to alter a lot on the car if I can help it. I will retain a modest appearance and modest HP. I am hoping to get around the mid 400's that way when do eventually slap the turbo on it I can at least de-tune it to put out less than 600. I am going to drive it a bit as it will be my toy and I may hit a few car shows locally with it. I think I'll lower it 1/2" - 1" and keep the black and red theme as that is my personal fav. Going to turn the exhaust out in front of the rear wheels and use black powder coated flat tips and try and have them cut to match the angle of the lower side skirt. Will also put some black deep inset wheels on it. What'll be real funny is when I'm done with this project I will start on my Mazda. I have a 1991 323. It's my errand car and looks like complete s**t. Worst looking car they ever made. BUT, with 180K on the clock it still gets 38.6 mpg. When and IF the motor ever goes bad I had been contemplating putting an RX7 Wankle and rear end to make it rear wheel drive and change NOTHING in the way of appearance. Now I am considering the same 4.8 engine and maybe a colorado 2wd rear for it with zero mods. That car rwd with 300 ponies would be hilarious! I wished I knew how to put a photo with the posts so I could put a picture of the Mazda up and you'd see just how hilarious it'd be

Thread Information